• 4 replies
    • 35 replies
    • 5 replies
    • 12 replies
    • 34 replies
    • 2 replies
    • 3 replies
    • 7 replies

• When did you interview if you don't mind me asking? 
    • Congrats on the acceptance. Usually the current president of the class will get with the faculty and start a FB page for the class. Maybe @PAzeke can help?
    • (GA PCOM 2nd year PA-S here) The curriculum is organ/system based, cardiology, endo, pulmonolgy, you move from system to system. During the fall your main classes are A&P (plus a bunch of other little classes), the winter is H&P (plus more little classes), then it becomes all about clinical medicine until you are done with didactic. You also have a separate pharmacology course. Sprinkled into the clinical courses you have specialty courses like surgery, ER, psych, etc. When I went through my didactic the exams weren't always right after you finished covering a topic (sometimes up to 3 weeks after) but that may be fixed by now. It was really annoying because you were expected to continue learning about a different system then be tested in the previous system. There are plenty of organizations to belong to, the PA association is the closest related one, but you also have others like Surgery club, ER club, PCOM Fit, etc. Faculty doesnt recommend jumping on ship with the organizations until you have a feel for how much time you need to spend studying. Some organizations are more relaxed than others. Im part of the ER club and we rarely ever meet. Others meet weekly. The campus has a play room with Xbox, PS4, ping pong tables, and a pool table. Those are all free to use 24/7. Like PAzeke said, chelsea 88 seems to be favored. My suggestion is live as close to the school as you can, you will spend a lot of time there and may need to go in to study or other short-timed activities. The area around the campus is safe, I lived in Lawerenceville (15 mins from campus) and never had a problem. It is suburban Atlanta so anywhere within 15 minutes from campus is fine.
    • Anyone else interviewing 9/27 and want to meet up on the 26th?? Can't wait to meet everyone :)
    • This was funnier than it probably deserved to be.  points to gryffindor I do agree with much of what is said above re: debt,  but there is all kinds of middle ground here.   Debt is a tool, just as a power tool or a firearm is.  With proper education and common sense, these can help you out when they are needed.  But when they are not truly (TRULY!) needed, they need to be put away.  If these items are used improperly or in haste, the results can be disastrous.   I personally love ol' Dave Ramsey PA-C, who has chimed in above, and he is doing vitally important work, but I don't agree with absolutely everything he says.   Get the books, and you'll take something away from each that will stick with you.  For instance, Kiyosaki was clearly made by blind luck, and fabricated great whacks of his personal history (including his military service).  But he is completely against the idea that your home (with mortgage) is an asset, and I'll never forget this.   Back on subject.  High paying / loan repayment new grad jobs might be found in undesirable places - all you have to do is look.  Interview with a few and find out how bad they suck. Recruiters - the bane of most of our existence - might come in handy here.  They exist to find and hire candidates for hard-to-fill jobs. Your main goal right now is to gain experience - not make the big money.  In 18 months or so, you can start considering Alaska oil rig jobs or something.  Liking the way you think, but think it through.  Having less than a year of experience is a major league bugaboo.  Trust me on this.  Try not to worry about it.  Good luck.