Take more classes, or work/shadow more?

I'm applying to UF in a few weeks, and it's also time to register for summer/fall classes at UCF if I'm going to take them. I can either take Orgo 2 and lab this summer, followed by Biochem this fall, (which will only be listed on my CASPA as future classes) or I can work many more shifts at the hospital and also shadow more.

My stats:

- 33 year-old, male, second career applicant. Have a non-science master's degree.

- Went back to school to take all pre-reqs at UCF. Got straight A's on required pre-req's, plus As in Genetics and Orgo 1

- BCP GPA 3.9 // Overall GPA 3.8 // GRE 328 (166 verbal, 162 math, 5.0 writing)

- Dual-licensed EMT and CNA, working at major hospital as a flex pool nursing assistant, 2000+ hours (worked ICU, PCU, cardiac, med-surg, ortho, and psych). 40 hours shadowing in ortho OR. If I work more instead of taking Orgo2 and Biochem, I will have 4000+ hours and more shadowing

- Fully bi-lingual (English and Spanish) with strong interview skills.

When I compare to the recent class profiles, I see that my grades and GRE are strong, and PCE is average. But those profiles don't show what classes the students took. I expect most of them have undergrad science degrees with many more science classes, whereas I am paying cash to take my science classes piecemeal at UCF.

So my question is, honestly, am I pretty likely to be accepted as is? Should I just work? If I take the extra classes, that would let me apply to NOVA and USF as back-ups, but I only want to go to UF. I know it's competitive, and I should be so lucky to get in anywhere. But there it is.

So which is better for UF, more hours/shadowing, or take Orgo2 and Biochem after CASPA sent?

Thank you!

To begin, congrats on your GPA and GRE scores. Both are extraordinary. Well done.

I feel as though I could argue equally for either course of action here. Taking Orgo 2 and Biochem is going to help you cast a wider net. I know you're only interested in UF, but I highly recommend keeping an open mind. My experience last cycle would be that I'd be reapplying this year had I only stuck with the two campuses I had in mind (UF being one,) but I was fortunate to receive acceptances from other schools I applied to and now won't have to apply again. Options are always good, even if/when you get into UF.

The additional experience would have multiple benefits beyond the additional hours on your package: networking with potential sources of recommendation letters, additional perspective for your personal statement, additional shadowing, and the chance to add breadth/depth of experience to your repertoire by possibly working in a different setting (you have a lot now though.)

With that 3.9, I would bet you could handle Orgo 2 and biochem (across two semesters) while working part time. Also, you don't have to submit all your applications at once so you can still apply to the schools you have complete prereqs for and hold off on the others until you're ready. You would probably still get interviews to Nova with biochem pending as long as it's finished in the fall.

I hope all that was at least a little helpful. It's just one guy's opinion though so caveat emptor. Get as many opinions as you can before making a decision. Best of luck!

I agree with Capita98 above.

There is no bad option, and your stats look very strong. I would lean toward the classes to cast that wider net though (and biochem especially is going to actually be useful in the future). I had several interviews this cycle and was rejected by programs I thought I was a shoe in for and fortunately accepted by my top pick; it can be a crazy roller coaster.

On PCE, I think your numbers are good, in other threads I've seen people with much more get rejected (it alone doesn't carry you). It is about a complete picture of your academics and experience, and you're checking all the boxes to get an interview. 

Archived