UF Class of 2017 Applicants

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello. :) Congratulations to everyone who has received interviews and acceptances. It seems like UF really pulls in charismatic and enthusiastic applicants. I've been stalking these pages for the last few weeks and decided to register and jump in. I have to be honest, I'm scared out of my mind. I received a notification from UF that everything was officially received as of today (GRE, secondary,etc.) It's quite possible I will cry if I get a call for an interview! I've already followed Woodster's awesome advice and programmed their number into my phone. It looks like it takes about a month from receiving full apps- to inviting people for interviews, so i'm hoping I will hear something by the end of the month. I've applied to 8 other programs, but UF is definitely my first choice, handsdown. 

Good or bad, I will keep you updated. 

@marsle85 - you can't make any assumptions about timelines. Since UF doesn't do "rolling admissions", it is possible that the very first application received could get the last interview slot. So just hang in there! And good luck! They do give preference to those who submit before September 1 so that much is in your favor :-)

@marsle, I applied last year and received an interview, according to the interview team I interviewed very well; however I was rejected in the end. As per the admission commitee's request I have increase shadowing hours, taken more science courses, and increased the number of direct healthcare experience hours. In the end I believe I was rejected for a reason, not necessarily because I was a candidate that was lacking but because it was just not meant to happen last year. If and when it happens it will happen. But what I have learned from last year is that neurotically checking this forum and attempting to validate reasoning on other people's results is not very wise. I am convinced that UF has no rhyme or reason to the way they extend interviews and acceptances. Just wait patiently. Once you click submit, it is no longer in your hands.

Yeah, @paramedic. I have a similar story - interviewed early on my first year and had to wait through the whole process to get rejected (for me, the end of January). Interviewed the first session my second year and got in. I did a few things to improve my application (with no feedback) but basically all I did was get another year older.

BUT - like paramedic says, what happens, happens for a reason. I wound up being the president of my class, getting a full ride scholarship, winning leadership awards, getting a great job four months before graduating, etc, etc.

I've seen people on this forum not even get an interview at UF but wind up going to Duke or Emory or the like. You just never know.

I will say that UF is worth the wait - you just need to find ways to fill the time :-)

Ok, I'm a little late to the party, but I have submitted everything, just waiting on my GRE score to be sent to CASPA. I am putting my supplemental in the mail on Monday. UF is also my top choice!

This is exciting and nerve wrecking all at the same time! I have prematurely created special ring and vibrate tones on my phone for UF's number. Great idea! 

Thank you for taking the time to respond. You are such a positive reflection on the university. I know you're right, but i'm just dying for a call. Hey, Woodsters-- I'm going to shoot you a PM. :)

@marsle, I applied last year and received an interview, according to the interview team I interviewed very well; however I was rejected in the end. As per the admission commitee's request I have increase shadowing hours, taken more science courses, and increased the number of direct healthcare experience hours. In the end I believe I was rejected for a reason, not necessarily because I was a candidate that was lacking but because it was just not meant to happen last year. If and when it happens it will happen. But what I have learned from last year is that neurotically checking this forum and attempting to validate reasoning on other people's results is not very wise. I am convinced that UF has no rhyme or reason to the way they extend interviews and acceptances. Just wait patiently. Once you click submit, it is no longer in your hands.

Paramedic- I followed your story throughout this forum and I so, so feel for you. I very much hope you are accepted this cycle, and I have the pleasure to meet you. :)  Your advice is good, and realistic-- buuuttt probably won't stop me from "neurotically checking this forum" haha. 

• 2 weeks later...

Got my phone call today! October 8 and 9!!! They actually invited me to the one in September, however I requested if they had a later date because it would have been harder to get off of work. Then they gave me the week of Sept 22, and that's my nova interview...so I hope it doesn't reflect poorly that I asked for a later one.

And the ring tone was a super idea! I was so excited to see that on my phone! Whew!

Hello everyone :)

For those of you who sent in your printed copy of the supplemental, any suggestions for the actual print out? On the application, it doesn't have a clear print version and when I try to print the pages, the copy doesn't look very professional. Any tips?

Thanks!

It all depends, I submitted mine shortly after the open day of CASPA, and the same for last year; however I got my invite last year later than I did this year. It is difficult to judge when you will get a call based on the experiences of others. Each candidate is evaluated, if the committee feels the applicant is deserving, an invite is then extended. You have plenty of time to receive a call, the deadline is not even close and the invites seem to be sent in waves as the perspective interview date nears. You may already be in the invite stack but they could be waiting to notify you until the interview day gets closer.

I've heard from others that everyone that interview has an equal chance of acceptance, but it would seem more realistic that they weigh out every aspect of your application in addition to the interview when making a decision and not solely based on the interview itself. Would you agree? Also, how important do you think the interview process is, in relation to credentials? 

I think my creditionals got me interviews, but I also think there is an additional factor that weighs in the process. According to the staff I had a wonderful interview and

1280 GRE old scoring 310 new

18000 hours as a lead paramedic

2012 paramedic of the year

Paramedic And Emt instructor

Multiple humanitarian and religious mission trips

4.0 gpa science

3.6 overall

Wonderful PA statement about an emergency that changedy perspective regarding healthcare

And many addition health courses such as prehospital trauma life support, ACLS...

The only thing that has really change from last year is now I am 26, am taking a few extra science courses, and am now finished with my bachelors degree.

I don't know what the secret is to gaining acceptance. Just try and make yourself distinguish and be patient. IF YOU are religious I would pray for Gods will and trust in His faithfulness.

Archived