Distance from Harrell

In my class we had students that lived as far north as between Alachua and Gainesville. They told me it was about a 30 minute drive into school.
I probably wouldn't go too much further than the 45 minute mark if at all possible.

Where are you looking to live? In my opinion, Gainesville is a great area and has some very good schools. You can also live on campus with a family. I lived in the graduate and family housing and thought it was very quiet and very convenient to the HSC. I lived in Diamond Village and there were kids running around, a playground, and the on-campus preschool was located right next door.

Thank you very much for the info! I am unsure of where I will live as of right now. My husband and children will stay in our home town and only I will relocate to wherever I am accepted. We are considering a travel trailer, but I am also open to living somewhere with roommates. We found a decent RV park about 25 minutes away from HSC.

It's nice to live near one of the bus routes so you don't have to worry about parking. But there are a lot of places in a short walk. I either rode the bus or had my husband drop me off so I didn't have to fight for a parking spot. But it might not have been that bad as early as you have to be there :-) Good luck!

• 3 months later...

Thank you both for the information! I have a question about parking. Since I will be driving to the HSC each day, is there parking available nearby? I have tried pulling up the UF parking map, but I do not see any options near the HSC. Do some students park near and walk in or park near a bus stop and ride in?

Great to see you were accepted! Congratulations! Did you choose to live in Gainesville or a little further out? 

Most students park in the Commuter Lot on Gale Lemerand. There is a path that runs between the lot and the HSC. 

There is also a park and ride lot on the far west side of campus that is connected to the HSC by a circulator bus (check out the Gator Locator, www.go-rts.com). Class usually starts early enough that there is parking at the main commuter lot, so I wouldn't plan on parking out there too often. 

Hope that helps!

All the best and have fun! It's well worth the effort!

That is the dream, Checko, but I have not been accepted yet! I am applying when the new cycle opens April 27th. I am just still trying to work everything out in my head first. I believe I have decided to buy a travel trailer and stay at a campground approximately 30 minutes from the HSC - if I am accepted ;) 

My thought process is this - if UF estimates 17,550 for housing during the program, why not invest the same amount of money in something I can bring home afterwards?

Archived