Do I apply this round or take a year off?

This is my first post on here so not too sure exactly how this all works, but I REALLY could use some advice, so please help! 

I am currently a Senior in my undergrad as an Exercise Science Major. I have a minor in both Spanish and Biology. I did not apply to PA school last April, so as of right now I am already taking a year off. I am still deciding whether or not I should even apply this round or wait another cycle and apply in 2017 (so I would be taking 2 years off). Any advice would be much appreciated. I live in Florida and UF is my #1 school, but I would probably go pretty much anywhere if I applied and got accepted...

My overall GPA: 3.5
Science GPA (I don't know how CASPA calculates it so I don't know exactly what it is) but I have gotten 3 C+'s in Science Courses (my sophmore year, Organic Chemistry 1, Gen Chem 2, and Anatomy and Phys 2). Since then however, my grades have been on an upward trend and are all A's and B's. 

GRE: not yet taken but am starting a Kaplan course next week and hoping to take it in January for the 1st time

My experience: 

900+ hours as a Medical Scribe in the ER (I still am confused if UF counts this as on their website it states, "The School recommends that all applicants complete the equivalent of at least one year (2000 hours) of direct (“hands-on” actually TOUCHING patients) patient care experience before entering the school*. Examples of such care may include drawing blood, taking vitals, providing personal hygiene care, serving as technician in Radiography, serving as a medical scribe in an Emergency Department, etc.") Even though I am not allowed to touch patients

I am also starting a job as a CNA in the Cancer Unit on Monday (which will be direct experience)

I have ~60 hours shadowing a PA

~80 hours volunteering at a camp for kids with cancer and hemophilia

I have 70 hours from a Medical Missions Trip to Ecuador

Any advice/opinions on whether I should apply to a few schools (mainly FL) this round or just wait and take another year off and take some more science classes to boost my GPA, focus studying on the GRE, and continue working.

Also, does anyone know if they look badly upon applying and you dont get in the 1st time but then you reapply? Or do they like to see that you are persistent and determined?

Apply to your top school and see what happens. Nothing is lost if you don't get in...which is the same outcome if you don't apply. You'd be surprise how many people apply just for the experience and actually get in. Your GPA is within the average accepted range 3.3-3.6.  CASPA averages all grades - no grade forgiveness, but this is not set in stones because some programs do recalculate your science/prerequisites GPA.

Good luck!

The only thing you risk losing if you apply in 2015 (for matriculation in 2016) is the application fee. 100% of people who do NOT apply, do NOT get in. If you have the time to fill out the application and can risk "wasting" your application fee if you don't get an interview, then it is certainly worth attempting. For one, it seems like it is almost a right of passage to apply more than once so by applying in 2015 you will get your first attempt behind you :-) And who knows, you might be one of the lucky ones who get in on the first try. BUT HEAR THIS - if you are applying to UF with any hope of getting in on the first try, apply VERY EARLY. They had about 1800 applications this year, most of those well before the deadline.

Thank you so much, I definitely know to apply as soon as the application opens! I just wanted to make sure that by me applying and not getting in, it wouldnt negatively impact my application the 2nd round! Crossing my fingers though and working extra hard! Now to get these GRE scores that I need!!

The only thing you risk losing if you apply in 2016 is the application fee. 100% of people who do NOT apply, do NOT get in. If you have the time to fill out the application and can risk "wasting" your application fee if you don't get an interview, then it is certainly worth attempting. For one, it seems like it is almost a right of passage to apply more than once so by applying in 2016 you will get your first attempt behind you :-) And who knows, you might be one of the lucky ones who get in on the first try. BUT HEAR THIS - if you are applying to UF with any hope of getting in on the first try, apply VERY EARLY. They had about 1800 applications this year, most of those well before the deadline.

Hmm I come from a different school of thought!

In my opinion you do it once and you do it right! I took a year off in between undergrad and applications to fill in the necessary health care experience gap.

The reason I chose to wait is mainly because often times second year applicants have to write additional essays as to what they did different in their approach.

I also knew that by going all in I would put 100% of my effort in my essays/interviews vs simply throwing my line in the water to test it out!

Idk it's your choice but by taking the whole year to prepare it mentally sets you in a path to do every thing possible to get accepted! Vs applying - waiting - possibly a denial - then when you really "start" to work on perfecting your application (GRE, shaddowing, more HCE, possibly re-taking a course) it's already half a year late and if you got denied possibly now your spirits are low!

My 2 cents (sorry if grammar is horrid - at work on a quick break)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

However, you will have a year off since you are applying the same year you graduate. It sounds like you graduate in May of 2015 and, since you have not yet applied, will have a year off before school starts in 2016. If you can keep the mindset that you "might not stand a chance and you won't be disappointed if you don't get in", the ONLY thing you will lose is the cost of the application fee. I do advise that if you are going to test the waters next year, only test the waters in schools you would actually attend. Don't apply to "safety schools" unless you are prepared to make the decision to go if accepted. Every year you wait to apply is a year of missed potential income. This is my recommendation based on the fact that a year off is already built in since you haven't applied yet.

Another thing that applying in 2015 will "buy" you, is the right to ask schools why they didn't extend an interview to you and what you can do to improve. This is invaluable.

It's your choice but I say if you can afford to spend the money and can keep your mind in the game then go for it.

You have nothing to lose by applying. I'm not quoting a study, but I would wager that statistically MORE 2nd round applicants get accepted to programs than 1st round applicants. IMO, it proves determination and perseverance. You have nothing to be ashamed of, and should have an easy answer to, if asked, "What have you done since your first time applying?" - unless you have done absolutely nothing (which is nearly impossible, and would be rather irresponsible).

Perseverance and determination are much stronger characteristics in an applicant than an extremely bright student (on paper) who is applying for the first time to PA school and still might not be sure if it's what they REALLY "want" from life at this point in time. 

Apply now, apply next year, keep going until you get what you want....

I'm not quoting a study, but I would wager that statistically MORE 2nd round applicants get accepted to programs than 1st round applicants.

Not wanting to start anything but this is unfortunately not true, I remember looking further into this exact idea because I almost threw in my application the summer I graduated. I've attached a chart I stole from MEDEX - University of Washington. I've briefly scanned other programs statistics but couldn't find nice percentages so one school will have to work as proof (but I've called other programs and the numbers are similar).

Posted Image

It clearly shows that as a first round applicant you have an upper edge. I'm not saying that school don't want perseverance. But I think being properly prepared is best!

...I still get what your saying - and throwing your application in can't hurt you! But doing this so you can get an "edge" next year is flawed logic and wasted money.

Best regards - IMO the fact that you are on here and searching out the right pathways to become a PA shows me that you are dedicated to this career and that is what matters :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The "stats" are interesting but the OP is asking questions about the University of Florida and is getting advice from those who attend or have graduated. Your MEDEX stats cannot be applied across the board to UF... for example, the number of males v. females. My class had 51 females and 9 males. The current first year class has a "record" number of males for recent years at about 25 out of 60.

UF seems to be a school where it is becoming more and more common to have to apply to twice (or more). Yes, some people get right in. But many pay their dues. An application fee is a small price to pay for the chance to get an interview invite. Nothing is lost but money if you don't get an invite. Nothing.

• 3 weeks later...

I'd say go for it. I just graduated from the UF PA Class of 2014, and my application looked similar to yours, with similar academic stats, a medical mission trip and scribe work. I did take a bit more time off between completing undergrad and matriculating to UF, and I also did EMS training and worked with the Boy Scouts, so a bit different, but not in a bad way at all. I also got into UF on my second CASPA application cycle; the first time around I applied too late so everything was basically a no-go. My advice would be to completely rock the GRE and have a fantastic time and learn a lot working as a CNA, that'll really be good for "getting your hands dirty" in the medical field so to speak. So, to answer your question, they didn't look down on being a second time applicant in my personal case, and several of my classmates' as well. I'd say go for it, and in the meantime with the extra year you have off, get as much experience in as you can. The HCA isn't there as just a checkbox, there were plenty of times in didactic and clinical years that I looked back to my pre-PA experiences to help me learn concepts and understand what was going on. It's really the foundation on which the rest of your career will rest.

• 2 months later...

Archived