UF Class of 2018

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This was the first paragraph of the rejection email I received: 

The Admissions Committee regrets to inform you that you have not been chosen to interview at the University of Florida's School of Physician Assistant Studies. The Admissions Committee made this decision based on a review of the application materials you provided. Regrettably, your Science GPA was not in the range that we consider competitive.

On their website, it just says you need at least a C in all prerequisite courses, which I have, otherwise I wouldn't have wasted my money applying. 

I concur with the above. I'd send an email to the PA program email address, especially if you have any extenuating circumstances, did post-bach work, are currently taking classes, et cetera. I don't know the specifics of your situation but UF is ranked as the best PA program in Florida - so there is a degree of competitiveness especially because UF interviews such a comparatively low number of applicants.

Also congratulations to you Jdizzl.

I can't comment on every situation, but overall UF does look at the whole application package when deciding who to interview. That being said, there are some hard minimums for grades etc, otherwise there would be no way to sort through so many people. They appear to be more complicated than anything published, so if you meet the minimum requirements, still think about applying. In each class, HCE, GPAs, ages, and backgrounds vary a whole bunch. There is no cookie cutter Gator.

Unfortunately, every PA program out there is exceptionally competitive. Apply to a few and see where your chips fall. I know of people who didn't interview at UF and got into Emory. It's a crazy process, hang on for the ride.

• 2 weeks later...

JDizzl,

Are you getting these emails through CASPA? I submitted 6/3 and haven't heard anything yet :( not even that it was being forwarded to the initial admissions committee. I emailed today to make sure they got all of my materials. Which they confirmed that they had, and told me that I'd be getting updates through CASPA as it goes through the "process".

Thanks,

Mark

JDizzl,

Are you getting these emails through CASPA? I submitted 6/3 and haven't heard anything yet :( not even that it was being forwarded to the initial admissions committee. I emailed today to make sure they got all of my materials. Which they confirmed that they had, and told me that I'd be getting updates through CASPA as it goes through the "process".

Thanks,

Mark

The emails said they were from UF so I do not know. That happened to me last year. I had to email them and check in. So I don't know. Sorry I couldn't be of more help:unsure:

Also, keep in mind, CASPA changed their system pretty significantly this year, so the specifics will likely be different.

I know its hard to not worry. I've been there, trust me... However, don't freak out because you have or haven't heard in X weeks, this has nothing to do with whether or not you are a quality candidate and likely more a reflection of a small staff working hard to give everyone a fair shot. They are likely going to process nearly 2000 applications this year (my guess, nothing official), so patience will be your friend.

A side note, to help put things in perspective. Some people might hear very quickly, others may not hear anything for months. UF will make phone calls for interviews up to the week before for people who are local (they do try to give a little more time for those who have to travel long distances). The last interview is usually the first or second week of December. Furthermore, there are always as many seats open in the class as the number of people interviewing in the group. This means that while some people will hear immediately, the vast majority will have to continue waiting. The class is finalized in December, usually before school finishes for the Christmas break. 

Under no circumstances, count yourself out until you've heard something final, as in there are no more interviews or, for those on the wait list, the class you applied for physically starts. People have been called for interviews days before the last session and have been called for a spot in late May/early June. 

Hang in there! UF is well worth the wait! 

Archived