UF Class of 2017 Applicants

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hahaha - I haven't heard when the first one is. Just some deduction... Last year it was the last Monday of August. Problem is the last Monday of August is the first day of Fall classes this year. September 1 is a holiday so there probably isn't one that week. So maybe Sep 8 is the first one. If no one on here knows I'll see if I can get an answer and let you know.

As do I, Woodsters as do I. I have address everything they told me to and strengthened my application in everyway imaginable from shadowing, to more science, to community service. I am at the point that I feel there is nothing more to do, other than continue to gain healthcare experience (going on 6.5 years as a medic).

Woodsters is right :)

Normally the first interviews are the last week of August, but that would fall on the first day of classes. So, it got bumped up to the first available Monday, September 8th. I haven't heard what the schedule will be like from there, but there are usually interviews about every two weeks until the first week of December. 

Hello everyone! I have a question for anyone who is familiar with the selection process of previous years. Is it safe to assume those of us who applied in May/June will be considered for the first two interview sessions only? I received an email on June 12th that my file was complete and forwarded to admissions and I'm a first year applicant. Just wondering if my application is still in the running. It's comforting to see I am not the only nervous nellie. :) Any advice or guidance would be GREATLY appreciated!

@Lindsey -you are NOT correct. UF does NOT do rolling admissions and there are no guarantees that just because you apply early you will interview early. So, that should be good news for you! No need to be a nervous nellie because one way or the other, you will wait :-) Either you will interview early and wait for a decision or you will wait for an interview and have a shorter wait for a decision. Hang in there!

During this period the admissions coordinator is extremely busy review hundreds of applications. As they come across strong applicants, they will let the applicant know. It is tough but we are at their mercy. I would love to call the school myself but this is a trial of patience.

soei, paramedic is right. If you are worried about whether or not you submitted a complete application, you can look on their website for the email address for Melinda Canton and ask her to confirm if there is anything else you need from her. You can also email her if something has changed in your application - for example, you got a new job working more hours or you retook your GRE or took more classes. Otherwise, sit back and enjoy the wait.

kt - don't know the answer to your question but if your application is otherwise strong I doubt it plays a major role.

kenzanne - HA! Well, between now and the time this cycle is over, I suggest you answer that number even if you're afraid they're calling you in to work :-) Never know...

Hi everyone!  I've applied this year and am hoping for an interview like all of you, hopefully we'll meet soon!  I was wondering, does anyone know how heavily community service plays into UF's interview (and acceptance) decisions?  Thanks for your help!

UF emphasizes that they look at the whole person, so the short answer is that it does get looked at. How could they not? However, the it's a bit more complicated than a yes/no or a statement of, "Only those with X number of hours will get interviews."

When I look at my class there is a great variety, Myself, I have thousands of hours of volunteer work, but that's because half of my medical experience is from volunteering. Others volunteered in hospitals in non patient contact roles, and others had a full time job in medicine and have kids, so they have a lot less volunteer hours and might have been a soccer coach or helped around their child's school, or even at their church.

Volunteering definitely helps, but it's not looked at in a vacuum. The admissions person sees the hours along with everything else a person has accomplished. UF is about the big picture, so it's tough to pin down an exact formula for what gets you an interview and there is no single factor that gets you a phone call or a seat in the class. 

Archived