Tuition for Out-of-State Students

I recently got accepted to the class of 2021. I love the program, and the only downside to attending would be the $175k price point for out-of-state students. Is there any way for students to qualify for in-state tuition? Can students achieve in-state status after the first year? Does the college help students navigate this process? Any current students have some insight regarding this issue?

Recent graduate here. Yes, it is possible to obtain in-state tuition during the second year. You should obtain a domicile as soon as possible after moving to Florida (it's obtainable from the town hall for a small cost and signature). If you have a license of any sort (EMT, CNA, etc), you should obtain one in Florida as well (even if you will not be using it) since I was told it increases your chance of getting accepted for 2nd year in-state tuition. The faculty will go over this with you. I believe all the out-of-staters in my class was able to successfully get in-state tuition for the 2nd year. 

8 minutes ago, ProspectivePA said:

Recent graduate here. Yes, it is possible to obtain in-state tuition during the second year. You should obtain a domicile as soon as possible after moving to Florida (it's obtainable from the town hall for a small cost and signature). If you have a license of any sort (EMT, CNA, etc), you should obtain one in Florida as well (even if you will not be using it) since I was told it increases your chance of getting accepted for 2nd year in-state tuition. The faculty will go over this with you. I believe all the out-of-staters in my class was able to successfully get in-state tuition for the 2nd year. 

Thank you so much! That answers literally all of my questions haha

Yes, it’s very possible. I also was able to get in-state tuition the second year. If you look at some of the previous year’s threads I’m pretty sure I listed exactly how I did it as I’m sure I forgot a few steps.

A few key points to add to above to ensure success. 

Make sure you move into your apartment and establish domicile at the Gainesville on a date that is at least 1 year prior to the beginning of the Summer B or even the A semester. In other words, it might be helpful to move in a bit early to save some money on the back end. I took a month long trip to Spain prior to starting the program and moved into an apartment in campus (really I just left a bunch of boxes there) before heading across the pond. 

Register your car and get a drivers license at the earliest possible moment.

Review closely the UF requirements nowas they require some very specific things that will trip you up if you wait too long.

All the best!

On 11/29/2018 at 1:18 PM, GreatChecko said:

Yes, it’s very possible. I also was able to get in-state tuition the second year. If you look at some of the previous year’s threads I’m pretty sure I listed exactly how I did it as I’m sure I forgot a few steps.

A few key points to add to above to ensure success. 

Make sure you move into your apartment and establish domicile at the Gainesville on a date that is at least 1 year prior to the beginning of the Summer B or even the A semester. In other words, it might be helpful to move in a bit early to save some money on the back end. I took a month long trip to Spain prior to starting the program and moved into an apartment in campus (really I just left a bunch of boxes there) before heading across the pond. 

Register your car and get a drivers license at the earliest possible moment.

Review closely the UF requirements nowas they require some very specific things that will trip you up if you wait too long.

All the best!

Thanks for the info! I am open to moving in prior to Summer A, depending on when Summer A starts and how many weeks it is.

29 minutes ago, GreatChecko said:

I don't think so. A quick search seems to confirm that. 

While there are a few programs in the state that participate, as a whole Florida likes to go it alone. Not a lot a reciprocity between Florida and other states in general. 

Yeah the search turns up nothing for me as well, but was hoping that it was just out of date, hah. I am going to contact the higher education rep for Texas and see what she says. GreatChecko - do you mind if I send you a direct message? 

Archived