2016-2017 application cycle

Thank you for the reply GreatChecko! Do you find most of the students in your class are from instate or out of state? Also, do you have to set up any of the rotations yourself?

1.) The exact numbers do vary each year, but tend to skew heavily towards instate students.

2.) No need to set up rotations for yourself. There is a full time staff member who coordinates the clinical year and does her best to accommodate requests for specific sites and timing. One can set up rotations (I did), but this is usually done for electives only and is optional.

Here's a link to the class profiles from the past few years:

http://pap.med.ufl.edu/admissions/acceptance/class-profile-from-recent-years/

I have always felt that it skews instate more due to geography and proximity than because of preference. It's more likely for someone from Florida to apply, accept a spot, and keep it because they will be closer to friends and family, have the benefit of in-state tuition, and may have an emotional tie to UF. Also, when there are last minute cancellations for interviews, candidates who are within driving distance will be called first, simply because they are more likely to be able to make it to Gainesville on short notice. Thus, skewing the overall numbers further towards in-state candidates.

I am not aware of any preference for in-state or out-of-state applicants within the program, nor am I aware of any quotas in either direction. In my opinion, the numbers are more reflective of the overall pool of qualified applicants than anything else.

I was an out-of-state applicant, with family in the state, but never felt any disadvantage during the process. They did call me a few weeks ahead of the interview date to allow me to plan, which was nice. I even was able to qualify for in-state tuition in my second year, which most students are able to do. A minor digression for an important point...be sure to figure out every single thing you need to claim in-state tuition before you step onto campus to prevent any disappointment one year later. The university is losing money on the deal and while its not a difficult process, they do make you prove that you have no ties to another state and truly are a Florida resident. 

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you so much for that info! I keep finding that each school has more in state students which was beginning to upset me. I am currently applying to all out of state schools because basically all my family is ready to move out of New York and I wanted this time to explore life in different areas. It was nice to hear that you think it's less of a disadvantage and more of a "just what students pick" if that makes sense!

Thanks for the helpful information GreatChecko! 

Looking at past cohorts, how many re-applicants vs first time applicants do you think generally get accepted? I was wait listed last cycle and was wondering if that gives me a same or better chance this cycle - given that improvements were made. 

Looking at past cohorts, how many re-applicants vs first time applicants do you think generally get accepted? I was wait listed last cycle and was wondering if that gives me a same or better chance this cycle - given that improvements were made. 

I don't have any numbers on this, sorry, but do know of a few people who were in your position and got in on the second try. GENERALLY, if you made some improvements, especially the ones they suggested, it does look good. I recall during the the open houses this question coming up and the answer was along the lines of that it showed commitment to the program if you took their suggestions to heart, thus they would seriously review the application. Obviously, still need to interview well, have a good essay, etc. However, they way I see it, that wait list isn't that big, especially when compared to the overall applicant pool, so you were very close and should be proud you made it that far (yes its disappointing, but you were in the top 80-100 out of nearly 2K applicants!). Thus, the second round should hopefully go better, right? All the best!

• 3 weeks later...

Hey everyone! I just received the email stating that my application has moved on to the "Second Level Evaluation for review". Next is possible interview invite. Fingers Crossed!

Hey! If you don't mind me asking, when did you receive your initial email stating it was under first review?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

I received the initial email of first review on May 23rd. As you can see, it took quite some time. I'm assuming the trend will continue for the following steps. Probably due to a large applicant pool!

Thanks for the info!

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

I'm on rotations right now and been super busy, but i'll try to get to some of the questions in a timely manner. At least 10-15 people from our class were from the wait list, including me. It is probably a much larger number than that, but I only know specifically of 15ish. I don't know if it will improve your chances, but in the interview it gave me a lot to attest to regarding improvements in my learning base, etc.

Listen to greatchecko. He's been around the block a time or two... or three. 

Also the timeline has changed over the past two years with the review levels, so try to gauge it off last years thread. There still might be changes.

Hey everyone! I just received the email stating that my application has moved on to the "Second Level Evaluation for review". Next is possible interview invite. Fingers Crossed!

Hi, congrats on the second level review email! If you don't mind me asking, would you post your stats? Are you a first time applicant? Thanks in advance! 

Hey guys!

First year is off to a great start and our class is excited to see and speak with all of you! We have our first midterm in 2 days so we're studying like crazy but thought I'd pop in.

The application cycle is a long process. To those who have not heard anything yet, do not be discouraged or frightful. July is still early in the decisions process.

Looking forward to seeing you guys soon!

Got the call yesterday! So excited to mee all the current PA students. I graduated from FSU and am a huge Seminole fan. With that being said, that call was one of the best moments of my life. Itd be an honor to spend two years in Gainesville, at the best PA program in the state!

Got the call on the 15th for an interview invite on Aug 29-30! I'm incredibly excited to be more familiar with the program and to meet current and potential future PA students! For the curious, my CASPA app was verified on 5/12 (I'm a first time re-applicant), second level evaluation e-mail on 7/8. Good luck to everyone!

Got the call on the 15th for an interview invite on Aug 29-30! I'm incredibly excited to be more familiar with the program and to meet current and potential future PA students! With that being said, my CASPA app was verified on 5/12 (I'm a first time re-applicant), second level evaluation e-mail on 7/8. Good luck to everyone!

Congrats, that's awesome! If you don't mind, would you share your stats? I'm also a first time, re-applicant! As in, I applied last cycle to UF, and then again this cycle, if that's what you meant, too. Thanks! 

Archived