How Much Will Part-Time Undergrad Hurt Me?

Hello,

I will be applying next year and have been thinking that UF will be a great option. However, I saw on the website that, "Transcripts demonstrating consistency in academic performance and ability to carry a full course load of substantial content will be heavily weighed by the Admissions Committee." I have been going to school on a part-time basis while working. How much do you think not having a full course load will hurt my chances? Some additional info- my current cGPA is approximately 3.80 and BCP-GPA is about 3.70. I also have 13 years of experience in healthcare as a medical assistant and will be certified as an EMT this spring.

I appreciate any advice and input!

Only way to truly answer your question is to apply, interview and see what they think of you.

Based upon your post, you likely will fall into the untraditional student category.

This is otherwise known as real life.

Your HCE will be a strength.

As for academics, define part time? One class? 2 or 3? a term?

It is easier to take one class at a time and do well vs a full course load. On the other hand, were you also working part time, full time or overtime?

Your goal is to impress an interviewer with the whole package, not just one part of the package.

The last consideration is that with good grades and significant HCE, is it wise to limit yourself to one program? There are several in FL alone, why not apply to them all?

Good luck.

G Brothers PA-C

Some semesters it was one course, some semesters it was four. I also have some withdrawals on my transcript due to unexpected work schedule changes. I was always working fulltime throughout and at one point working one parttime job and the other fulltime at the same time. I'll definitely cast a wide net when applying. It seems that admissions numbers for schools are too competitive to put all my eggs into one basket. Thanks for your post!

I would think that working full time and keeping that high of a GPA would meet that criteria quite well. The classes at UF are diverse, so just because you didn't do the traditional route doesn't mean you won't be considered.

I would definitely work your work/school balance into the essay, even if it's just a one liner, to be sure it's plainly obvious that you've been balancing work and school.

I'm a career changer and while I had an undergraduate degree, I only took 1 or 2 science courses a semester for 3 years while getting the HCE to become a PA. Thus, I had the same concern. However, here I am 6 months from graduation. I think you're well positioned for UF. Write a good essay and do some interview prep (not just books if it's been a while, mannerisms and nervous habits pop up like crazy if you're rusty) and you have a good shot.

I wish you all the best!

Archived