• 11 replies
  8. Acceptance Letters

• 10 replies
    • 10 replies
  9. What are my chances?

• 9 replies
    • 8 replies
    • 8 replies
    • I just got a confirmation today that my application is under reviewed. I applied end of April 2018. Looking forward to this year's cycle. 
    • It also depends on your proficiency/deficiency as well and what will serve you. For example, I was prior EMS, so MA/PCT/Phleb really wouldn't do much for me. I decided to scribe after finishing undergrad and it was a pretty great experience. But if you've never spiked an IV bag and don't know how to take vitals, then MA/PCT/Phleb is a good start. If that's the case, then I would say try one of those for a year, and then scribe for a year; the different exposures will compliment each other well.
    • Same here! I don't think it's too late at all, especially considering they don't do rolling admissions. Best of luck!
    • Hi @mackenzie93! Congrats on making the career shift! I would agree that phlebotomy is not as high quality as PCT or CNA. The reason being that you are consistently doing the same tasks. PCT in an urgent care or emergency setting will expose you to a variety of diverse patient problems, as well as, numerous different healthcare providers. The exposure that I gained from working as an EMT in an ER helped me learn how to talk with patients and provided me with many wonderful healthcare mentors that have helped me gain more experience and knowledge that solidified why I want to be a PA. Most PA students are non-trad so no worries there. Also many PA schools like students with diverse backgrounds. I have friends that went art to PA, history to PA, engineering to PA, and math to PA. Yes, there are still students who are accepted straight from college and that have biology or health science degrees but I certainly wouldn't let that discourage you! There are some schools that do accept students without PCE but most students will still have some. I would definitely work on getting some PCE hours even if you have a lower number of hours while applying as opposed to no hours.
    • It all boils down to your target schools. There are some out there who are most concerned with GPA and things like leadership experience or volunteer work. They're out there. You could get lucky and find out you're near one. Otherwise, you may have to relocate if that ends up being your situation. Generally though, those who get in without any PCE tend to have a great GPA.

I can't speak to the PCT experience though. I'm guessing that will also vary some from school to school. My experience is as a dental hygienist, and I'm currently waiting to find out if my interview landed me a spot at my first-choice school.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More