2018-2019 Application Cycle

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For those that may or may not be as neurotic as I - I think this is how they are doing their admissions (I'm sure some other programs may be following a similar paradigm): 

Overarching theory: Stanford puts everyone on a spectrum, from the most likely they would send an invite to the least likely they would send an invite. In the beginning, everyone that was furthest on the least likely portion of the spectrum received rejection notices (these occurred between late June and August). Everyone that was furthest on the most likely side started getting invites in late August. Starting in August, for every few interview invites they send out and get accepted, they reject a few on the other side of the spectrum. They do this because in case anything catastrophic occurred - such as all of their "top" applicants rejecting the invite - Stanford would then have more to pull from. This is the case as opposed to rejecting all people at once, or sending out all invites at once. 

I am almost certain they use a spectrum-based system like above but the method to which they use it may be off. A couple of postulations though: 1. They could have most interview candidates just clustered on one end, in no order of who they like best, but rather something like alphabetical order by last name or order of proximity (i.e. those furthest away from Stanford are sent out invites to approximate for flight booking, etc. 2. There is absolutely no order to it other than they put people in a bowl of who they want to give invites and a few per day are chosen at random. 

Long story short, this is all just systematic and in accordance to what STANFORD is looking for. Please don't get too discouraged with a rejection. Plenty of other programs prioritize other qualities over research experience and academic scores. Those that have not heard anything yet - if you find that time is running thin for flight booking, etc or conflicts with other interviews - maybe try to get a better idea of if there is a system to when they send out invites by asking questions to those that got invites (i.e. Any one with last names R-Z? Or based far away from Stanford / California). 

Guest thePAway
On 9/10/2018 at 5:42 PM, Throwitaway said:

Anyone still not heard back? I'm still left chilling. I'd hope it's because they have grand plans for me but I'm afraid that's probably not the case haha. 

I haven't heard anything either yet

15 hours ago, KatherineLee said:

Congrats to everyone who received an interview! I will be applying next year and was wondering if those that received an interview can comment on if they took organic with or without a lab and if they took biochem?

Also, wondering when everyone submitted their app that has received an interview so far? 

THANKS GUYS! 

Good luck as you prepare to apply next year!! I did not take ochem or biochem. 

Submitted June 12th 

Verified July 25th 

GOOD LUCK ?

15 hours ago, KatherineLee said:

Congrats to everyone who received an interview! I will be applying next year and was wondering if those that received an interview can comment on if they took organic with or without a lab and if they took biochem?

Also, wondering when everyone submitted their app that has received an interview so far? 

THANKS GUYS! 

Goodluck next year!!

I took the lab for both O-chem 1 and 2, and I also took Biochem!

Submitted July 7

Verified July 11

Guest SoyLatte
22 hours ago, SoonToBePAC said:

Checked my email on the way to another school's interview yesterday and saw my official rejection. Definitely disappointed but good luck to those invited! To those rejected/still waiting, hang in there this process will be worth it!

I also got rejected yesterday. I hope your interview with that school went well!! ?

Archived