2020-2021 Application Cycle

For those accepted, congratulations!! That is such an amazing accomplishment and you should be so proud of yourselves! If you don't mind me asking, how long were you given to accept/decline the admission offer? Just curious as to how long individuals who were waitlisted should expect the earliest to hear back would be regarding spot availability. Thank you in advance and congratulations again!

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, onmywaytobeapa said:

For those accepted, congratulations!! That is such an amazing accomplishment and you should be so proud of yourselves! If you don't mind me asking, how long were you given to accept/decline the admission offer? Just curious as to how long individuals who were waitlisted should expect the earliest to hear back would be regarding spot availability. Thank you in advance and congratulations again!

Thank you!! And we’re given 14 days to respond to the initial offer. 

Hey folks! Sorry to interrupt the discussion, but I have a question for those that have been admitted thus far. Were any of you lacking in the 'upper division bioscience courses" suggestion/requirement?

I'm planning to apply to Stanford for the coming 2021-2022 cycle (I applied in 2019-2020 but was rejected and didn't reapply again this past year), and some of their admissions details have changed since then. I've taken 2 upper (Histology and Biochemistry), along with several other lower (Microbiology, intro Genetics, Human Bio, General Bio, etc). I know that they state that all these courses are suggested rather than required, but I wanted to consult this forum to see if anyone has actually been admitted that didn't have 3 or more upper division bioscience. Thank you ❤️ 

Edited by alysd

1 hour ago, alysd said:

Hey folks! Sorry to interrupt the discussion, but I have a question those that have been admitted thus far. Were any of you lacking in the 'upper division bioscience courses" suggestion/requirement?

I'm planning to apply to Stanford for the coming 2021-2022 cycle (I applied in 2019-2020 but was rejected and didn't reapply again this past year), and some of their admissions details have changed since then. I've taken 2 upper (Histology and Biochemistry), along with several other lower (Microbiology, intro Genetics, Human Bio, General Bio, etc). I know that they state that all these courses are suggested rather than required, but I wanted to consult this forum to see if anyone has actually been admitted that didn't have 3 or more upper division bioscience. Thank you ❤️ 

Hi!! 
I was admitted for this upcoming cohort. I am a Biology major, so I had a lot of Sciences. 
I took embryology, cell biology, endocrinology,genetics, histology, immunology, microbiology, molecular biology, and organic chemistry. 

I hope this helps. 
Good luck!! 💕

6 minutes ago, ProspectivePAstudent said:

Hi!! 
I was admitted for this upcoming cohort. I am a Biology major, so I had a lot of Sciences. 
I took embryology, cell biology, endocrinology,genetics, histology, immunology, microbiology, molecular biology, and organic chemistry. 

I hope this helps. 
Good luck!! 💕

Thank you, congratulations! 
Sounds like you had well over the 3 suggested. Mostly looking to hear if anyone who’s been admitted did so with less than 3 upper division bioscience. 

11 hours ago, alysd said:

Hey folks! Sorry to interrupt the discussion, but I have a question for those that have been admitted thus far. Were any of you lacking in the 'upper division bioscience courses" suggestion/requirement?

Hi! I was admitted this cycle and don't know if this will help you, but I only took Neurophysiology, Genetics and Microbiology. The other classes I took in addition to my Bachelor's were medical terminology, Stats and the second part of Gen Chem. My Bachelors is in Kinesiology, so I definitely don't have an abundance of upper division science courses.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, alysd said:

Thank you, congratulations! 
Sounds like you had well over the 3 suggested. Mostly looking to hear if anyone who’s been admitted did so with less than 3 upper division bioscience. 

I had a ton of upper div science, only one that I think would qualify as bioscience (biochem).  Most of it was chemistry.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FuturePA5634 said:

Hi! I was admitted this cycle and don't know if this will help you, but I only took Neurophysiology, Genetics and Microbiology. The other classes I took in addition to my Bachelor's were medical terminology, Stats and the second part of Gen Chem. My Bachelors is in Kinesiology, so I definitely don't have an abundance of upper division science courses.

Thanks so much to both you & @PIIFree! Definitely helps. I was just apprehensive about applying if that element was a dealbreaker. I know programs typically just list their bare minimums, but those actually admitted often exceed that. 

In addition to A&P the sciences I’ve taken are Microbiology, Inorganic Chem, Organic/Biochem combo, straight Biochem, Histology, Genetics (intro), Current Issues in Biology, Nutrition, Medical Terminology, Human Bio, & General Bio. (Plus Statistics & College Algebra for math.) Only Histology & Biochem were technically upper division, though I think Micro counts too. Many of these were introductory level coursework so I know that doesn’t put me at an advantage against Bio majors, but, I think I’ll at least take the shot and apply. 🙏🏼

Edited by alysd

Has anyone who was placed on the waitlist heard anything further than the waitlist email they sent? Any acceptances? Also.... does anyone have any reference or information as to how Stanford's waitlist typically works? For instance, does anyone know if they are on the quicker end to pull people off the waitlist suddenly after spots open up or do they wait until closer to their start date in August? Thanks in advance~

On 2/24/2021 at 1:04 PM, alysd said:

Thanks so much to both you & @PIIFree! Definitely helps. I was just apprehensive about applying if that element was a dealbreaker. I know programs typically just list their bare minimums, but those actually admitted often exceed that. 

In addition to A&P the sciences I’ve taken are Microbiology, Inorganic Chem, Organic/Biochem combo, straight Biochem, Histology, Genetics (intro), Current Issues in Biology, Nutrition, Medical Terminology, Human Bio, & General Bio. (Plus Statistics & College Algebra for math.) Only Histology & Biochem were technically upper division, though I think Micro counts too. Many of these were introductory level coursework so I know that doesn’t put me at an advantage against Bio majors, but, I think I’ll at least take the shot and apply. 🙏🏼

According to their website out of the coursework you have taken Biochem, Genetics (maybe), Micro, Organic Chemistry & Histology so you have five right there.  Also as someone who graduated with a UC Bio Major I can confirm that those are considered upper division at UCs so I assume Stanford would be the same. If you have the time and want to be competitive UC Berkeley extension offers upper division Bio classes that aren't online. It's just expensive. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Christine616 said:

According to their website out of the coursework you have taken Biochem, Genetics (maybe), Micro, Organic Chemistry & Histology so you have five right there.  Also as someone who graduated with a UC Bio Major I can confirm that those are considered upper division at UCs so I assume Stanford would be the same. If you have the time and want to be competitive UC Berkeley extension offers upper division Bio classes that aren't online. It's just expensive. 

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond to this! That is heartening to hear. I took all my sciences at CCs here in northern California, and felt that they were fairly rigorous, but hadn't checked what their equivalents for transfer were at UCs/CSUs. That's an excellent idea. 

I don't think I can afford the UCB extension classes right now, but I'll keep chipping away at other coursework in the meantime as I prepare to reapply. Currently taking College Algebra and Spanish, and planning to take the GRE later this spring. 🙂 

On 3/3/2021 at 11:35 PM, alysd said:

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond to this! That is heartening to hear. I took all my sciences at CCs here in northern California, and felt that they were fairly rigorous, but hadn't checked what their equivalents for transfer were at UCs/CSUs. That's an excellent idea. 

I don't think I can afford the UCB extension classes right now, but I'll keep chipping away at other coursework in the meantime as I prepare to reapply. Currently taking College Algebra and Spanish, and planning to take the GRE later this spring. 🙂 

You should be fine then. I also had to retake all of my prereqs at various CCs across the Bay Area (due to expiration limits (and I got accepted into 3 out of states school so I assume if out of state was taking them then in state should count them as well. 

• Like 1