• 1 reply
    • 1 reply
    • 7 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 1 reply
    • 219 replies
    • 3 replies
    • 7 replies

• The AAPA has a website that can show you material to answer this question.
    • Might I ask what schools you applied to? I might want to look into their programs! Thank you :)
    • (1) People work and go to school all the time, I did and it does not look bad. (2)  That said, If I were an admissions person I would probably pick a student who took courses on a campus rather than solely online for four years.  There is a difference from taking tests online in the comfort of your own home eating a bowl of frosted flakes and taking tests in a room under the nose of faculty.  Whether or not people want to admit it the ability to cheat and pass exams is more likely in online courses and it would be naive to think that admissions people don't consider this during the application process.  Which is probably why many require in person tests and labs.   When you have access to multiple computers you can have the answers to all the questions easily without having to put it work to actually learn.  I think this is why so many people were destroyed initially in my organic chemistry courses at my CC, because they thought that hybrid-online course meant online tests with "secure browser."  I get that your ST stuff is at the local CC and in person, but I am going to say that a surgical tech is not going to need to learn Biochemistry/Organic Chemistry/Genetics/Cell Biology, maybe I am wrong.  (I would think these would be important to do in person) (3) Your credentials are speculative as you mentioned.  A projected 3.6 GPA, I assume both cGPA and sGPA would be respectable.  But since you have a plan, you should be able to focus harder and better than those that do not have a plan.   As far as surgical technician, seems like a fair plan, but you don't need this to get direct patient care experience.  Sure, if you want to become a surgical PA, maybe that can show you what that may be like, I really don't know.  I became a dialysis technician, with no need to get a certificate and learned a lot on the job.  Starting IVs, taking blood pressures, weights, making decisions on how much fluid to take off of patients, responding to codes, strokes, hypotensive episodes, administering certain medications like heparin, taking care of CVCs blah blah blah, you get the point.  My main point would be why not just nail down the degree and get a work with direct patient care when ever it is comfortable for you rather than an getting an associates as an ST.  Seems like time wasted if you think you know what you already want to do as a PA. More power to you...but as I said above with the tests.   Best of luck to you.
    • Yeah don't do ANYTHING to add stress to your life.