South University - Savannah Application Cycle 2021

9 minutes ago, Mjf52 said:

Does anyone have any insight to how strict the grade requirements are? For example, I know a grade above a C is required. In my BIO 2 lab I received a C- and in the BIO2 class I got a B. Long story, I had a really bad relationship with my lab professor who was literally out to get me (sounds like an excuse but it was unfortunately true). He always graded very subjectively, even had some kids in our class babysit his daughter (they got As obviously). I often challenged him and so I was not on good grade terms. Needless to say, Im feeling like this is going to affect all my applications and just isn't representative of me 😞

It shouldn't have too much of an effect, I had a c myself in organic chemistry and somehow made it to the waitlist which is better than being rejected out of hand. PCE, shadowing, and volunteer hours will cover for lacking grades. 

Edited by Parth37955

4 minutes ago, Parth37955 said:

It shouldn't have too much of an effect, I had a c myself in organic chemistry and somehow made it to the waitlist which is better than being rejected out of hand. PCE, shadowing, and volunteer hours will cover for any lacking grades. 

Thats amazing, congratulations! If they count scribe as PCE I have 3,400 if not, I have 2,000. I did well in all my upper level sciences, my freshman year with this professor in BIO1 and BIO2 L really brought me down. I applied 6.14 so im hoping to hear back either way within the next two weeks

12 hours ago, Mjf52 said:

Does anyone have any insight to how strict the grade requirements are? For example, I know a grade above a C is required. In my BIO 2 lab I received a C- and in the BIO2 class I got a B. Long story, I had a really bad relationship with my lab professor who was literally out to get me (sounds like an excuse but it was unfortunately true). He always graded very subjectively, even had some kids in our class babysit his daughter (they got As obviously). I often challenged him and so I was not on good grade terms. Needless to say, Im feeling like this is going to affect all my applications and just isn't representative of me 😞

That sounds like a really unfortunate situation. I believe that South is strict on certain cut offs (like GRE of at least 300). I’m assuming a C- still shows on your transcript the same way as a C+ (I’ve never been graded using +/- scale in college), if they want a B or better you may not make the cut off because of the lab grade. I think if you are invited to an interview, you could discuss this lower grade and put a positive spin on what you learned from the situation/how you’re working to resolve it, etc. You could try emailing admissions too for clarification. 

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, PAhopeful246 said:

Just received my rejection email. Would anyone that’s been accepted or invited for an interview post their stats, so I know what to work towards? My cGPA and sGPA is so much lower in CASPA, then what my institutional GPA was, and now I’m very freaked out that I’ll never get into PA school because of this. 

I'm sorry to hear that. I think I will shortly be in the same boat. May I ask when you applied? Best of luck with your other applications, a rejection is not as personal as it might feel.

On 8/17/2021 at 8:21 PM, kristinkingery1 said:

For anybody who has interviewed yet, how many people were in your interview group? How were the interviews and is there anything I should prepare myself for? 

I think that there were only 4-5 people in my small group panel interview. I enjoyed the interview process and all three of my interviewers! Everyone really seemed genuinely interested in getting to know me and obviously cares a lot about the program. 

I would make sure you are up to date on recent PA news/healthcare changes/etc. Those are things we discussed at the panel, which was more of an open discussion getting everyone’s views. 

The individual interviews were standard questions. I felt like the questions geared more towards ethical, empathy and compassion-type situations. Make sure to introduce yourself and give a little synopsis of yourself/application/accomplishments, because one of my interviewers had not seen my application beforehand. 

Good luck to everyone interviewing 🙂

• Like 2

On 8/2/2021 at 3:28 PM, PAhopeful246 said:

Just received my rejection email. Would anyone that’s been accepted or invited for an interview post their stats, so I know what to work towards? My cGPA and sGPA is so much lower in CASPA, then what my institutional GPA was, and now I’m very freaked out that I’ll never get into PA school because of this. 

I’m sorry to hear about your rejection! Like someone else said, try not to take it too personally. I think (if you aren’t accepted anywhere else) it’s a good plan to evaluate your application and improve it over the next year to apply again! Try not to get caught up in the numbers. However, if your GPA is below cut minimums, you may want to consider retaking classes. Or highlight other areas of your application to shine (like volunteering, LORs, PCE/HCE). 

my stats:

GRE 306

sGPA 3.75

cGPA: 3.83

Volunteer: 362

Shadowing: 16

PCE: 8528

• Like 1

19 hours ago, cheyannegenovese said:

I’m sorry to hear about your rejection! Like someone else said, try not to take it too personally. I think (if you aren’t accepted anywhere else) it’s a good plan to evaluate your application and improve it over the next year to apply again! Try not to get caught up in the numbers. However, if your GPA is below cut minimums, you may want to consider retaking classes. Or highlight other areas of your application to shine (like volunteering, LORs, PCE/HCE). 

my stats:

GRE 306

sGPA 3.75

cGPA: 3.83

Volunteer: 362

Shadowing: 16

PCE: 8528

I appreciate the encouragement! I definitely took it better than I thought. Your stats are extremely impressive! Congratulations on all your success and I wish the best for you! 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, smallturtle said:

Got the call this morning!!! Interviewed 8/18

That's amazing! Congratulations! That quick turnaround time is nice. I'd be curious to hear - anyone who has interviewed so far heard a rejection?

I've been invited to interview 9/1 and I'm wondering how long I'll wait to hear a decision...

50 minutes ago, Teacup said:

That's amazing! Congratulations! That quick turnaround time is nice. I'd be curious to hear - anyone who has interviewed so far heard a rejection?

I've been invited to interview 9/1 and I'm wondering how long I'll wait to hear a decision...

I'm also curious to know if anybody got a rejection after the interview! I've only seen acceptance calls and a wait list! 🙂 

• Like 1