COVID-19 and Job Security

COVID-19 Crisis and Job Security   

119 members have voted

1. 1. Do you fear losing your job due to COVID-19 crisis?

• Yes
    • No
    • I've lost my job already
    • My hours were cut

On 4/1/2020 at 9:15 PM, LT_Oneal_PAC said:

I probably would, but I work at a solo coverage ED. Fire me and either no one is there or you pay more than my salary to cover the shift. They could try to cut my hours, but it’s events like these I always have a contract with a salary that doesn’t stipulate hours or patients seen.

I do worry about the hospital shutting down with the huge loss of revenue from FM and elective surgeries.

I am in the same situation. april 2020 I will work more hrs than any month in the last 4 years(240) and if called on all my call days I will be at 348 hrs for the month...

2 hours ago, AbeTheBabe said:

I think some people are literally dying at home, location dependent of course. Some don't want to take up a hospital bed and don't come in. Others are waiting until they literally can't breathe to come in. And a lot of the people who abused the ER are not coming in because they don't want to get the virus.

I had a 90 yr old with an NSTEMI who arrived via ems sign out ama because they didn't want to get sick n the hospital....

• Like 1

This may have been covered, and this is not meant to be political. I just listened to the COVID-19 update. Now, that "Dr. Trump" (or you could say "Donald Trump, PA-C") has prescribed hydroxychloroquine and azithromycin for the entire country to prevent COVID-19 ("those people taking hydroxychloroquine for Lupus or malaria aren't getting this horrible virus", my paraphrase of what "Dr. Trump said.") How do you handle this on the front lines? I can't imagine the flood of healthy patients coming in and demanding these drugs that "Dr. Trump" has prescribed for them.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, jmj11 said:

This may have been covered, and this is not meant to be political. I just listened to the COVID-19 update. Now, that "Dr. Trump" (or you could say "Donald Trump, PA-C") has prescribed hydroxychloroquine and azithromycin for the entire country to prevent COVID-19 ("those people taking hydroxychloroquine for Lupus or malaria aren't getting this horrible virus", my paraphrase of what "Dr. Trump said.") How do you handle this on the front lines? I can't imagine the flood of healthy patients coming in and demanding these drugs that "Dr. Trump" has prescribed for them.

No one in my part of the world takes him seriously, so have not heard that once. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, jmj11 said:

I have patients telling me "but pence said" or "but trump said".  Drives me insane!  No, I'm not giving you hydroxychloroquine.  No, I'm not testing you for a runny nose (and no other symptoms) because they said anyone can get tested.  Very frustrating for providers and patients.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

I practice emergency medicine and we have been hit hard. My pay has been cut by 10% and hours as of now by 30% at the level three trauma center I work at ... these cuts are expected to get worse. Thank God for my solo coverage jobs. Honestly because of these is the only reason I sleep at night. 

"Multiple private-equity-backed staffing companies have cut hours for thousands of emergency room doctors, physician assistants and nurse practitioners. That means there are fewer medical workers at a time in hospitals and they are receiving less pay."

Great for mentioning PA but physican's assistant still appeared multiple times. 

https://www.propublica.org/article/overwhelmed-hospitals-face-a-new-crisis-staffing-firms-are-cutting-their-doctors-hours-and-pay?utm_campaign=publishtweet&utm_source=social&utm_medium=twitter#182098

On 4/3/2020 at 8:54 AM, bobuddy said:

"  I am signing up with locums but it seems that health care providers all over the US are being furloughed so now is not a great time to do locums either.    "

I've called Barton Associates and CompHealth. I have not heard of DirectShifts.  Both companies seem to be getting a higher volume of calls and are requesting ER and UC locum tenens. I don't feel prepared to take on ER or UC as I've been doing ped cardiology (mostly outpatient) for the past few years. Does anyone know about any other locum tenens companies or companies that do telemedicine?

On 4/3/2020 at 8:54 AM, bobuddy said:

I'm in California. I work at a large outpatient IM practice with 50+ MDs and 10+ PA/NPs (many of whom are new-hires since they are always hiring). At least for the doc I work with, the amount of patients in clinic have been drastically reduced as we transition to telemedicine. No news yet of pay cuts or furloughs but I'm not holding my breath as this pandemic continues. My PA friend in urgent care got his hours cut by half. 

My SO is an attorney at a large law firm where they cut everyone's pay  by 15% but made it a point to mention no one will be fulourghed.

Those I know who work in Computer Science are all working from home and chilling with no concerns about their job security. 

The other day I came across this Reddit post about a Florida Optometrist getting offered minimum wage to continue working

It's interesting for me to see how different fields with expected higher-than-average job security are being affected.  

Edited by coffee
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3

I don't expect to lose my job but some of our shifts are now 8 hours instead of 10.  When your minimum (some times maximum) is 13 shifts, losing 2 hours every shift is like losing 2 + full shifts.   I work a mix of shifts that had no cuts and some that had cuts.  I can weather it, but it sucks.  We are lower census now, which is nice in a way.  They are mostly real "emergency" patients now.  

Somehow in my FM practice, I am still working my full time schedule. Just finishing up a 2 week stint of self quarantine where I started working telemed from home. Now I will be working 2.5 days in clinic and 2.5 days telemed each week. For the next 2 weeks at least. Then.... Reassess again.

I Hate to hear about everyone with such insane and ironic job insecurity at this time. You're in my thoughts and prayers. I am using every opportunity to advocate on a personal level the role for PAs during this time and the reality of what so many are facing.

As far as my FM practice goes, I feel every patient has another level of clinical decision-making added now. Do I send for joint injections? How about that hip replacement? Certainly I keep up with family planning services like IUD and depots. Lots of layers to this.

Well the non-respiratory UC was shut down due to low volume, which isn't surprising.  I saw a grand total of zero patients yesterday, and the guy working Saturday saw one.  I would email administration to offer to work in other locations, but with a pregnant wife I really don't want to be bringing stuff home.

So, I am now an ortho PA with almost nothing to do...won't be surprised in the slightest if I am furloughed.  I am just hoping that it is a temporary decrease in salary across the board rather than complete furlough with zero income.  But, I'm trying to see the bright side that I am able to spend TONS of time with my 1.5yo daughter to give her special attention before her sister arrives.  Plus, assuming this goes beyond May I'll have lots of time at home to help with the newborn.  In terms of finances, having less income (or no income) would definitely suck, but I guess this is what emergency funds are for...and if worse came to worse I can put my mortgage and student loans on COVID forbearance which would help my emergency funds stretch almost exponentially further.

Edited by mgriffiths

1 hour ago, GetMeOuttaThisMess said:

For those being set aside, are they allowing you to keep your other benefits or are you now relegated to COBRA or Care of the Obama?

Most I have seen are losing all benefits including medical at the end of this month.  They say, "you have to work 30 hours a week to maintain healthcare and since you're not.....bye Felisha..."

4 hours ago, GetMeOuttaThisMess said:

For those being set aside, are they allowing you to keep your other benefits or are you now relegated to COBRA or Care of the Obama?

Depends on what the company does. I believe furloughed employees retain benefits. If you're laid off or were part time or per diem to begin with, then no.

I work at an FQHC clinic who has a notoriously hard time retaining providers (mission is great but pay is LOW) so I think they will refrain from provider lay offs as long as possible, but cutting back of hours or furlough starting with PAs and NPs is within reason. I'm working hard to keep up my patient volume as much as I can. I walked into clinic this morning to find out that 50% of the staff were furloughed, including our entire dental department and dentist herself. 

On a separate note, did anyone see that Boris Johnson (COVID19 Positive) was moved to the ICU today due to deteriorating condition? 

It is like a slow leak where I work. We reduced hours last week. Yesterday they announced they are closing 2 of the 5 UCs in our system. So we have gone from 5 clinics with double coverage 12 hours a day to 3 clinics with single coverage 10 hours a day. I anticipate this will worsen and they haven't indicated if this is temporary or the closures are permanent.

On the upside my organization is doing everything it can. They are extending benefits. They have a 5 tier plan that projects out to getting back to normal. They are allowing people to burn up PTO, even borrowing 20 hours from next years PTO.

Its grim times

Edited by sas5814
  • Upvote 1