COVID-19 and Job Security

COVID-19 Crisis and Job Security   

119 members have voted

1. 1. Do you fear losing your job due to COVID-19 crisis?

• Yes
    • No
    • I've lost my job already
    • My hours were cut

So has anyone really thought this out?  Let's be honest as health care providers....we know where this is going folks.  I really hate to always be mister doom and gloom but......

This is going to go on for 6-18 months.

6 months if there is some miracle vaccine and therapeutic intervention drug to keep people from developing pneumonia..

18 months if the virus just burns through us all and we all (those that make it) develop natural immunity.

I do not see our jobs returning anytime in the next 6 months MINIMUM.

My advice is to start making financial plans now

54 minutes ago, Cideous said:

So has anyone really thought this out?  Let's be honest as health care providers....we know where this is going folks.  I really hate to always be mister doom and gloom but......

6 months if there is some miracle vaccine and therapeutic intervention drug to keep people from developing pneumonia..

18 months if the virus just burns through us all and we all (those that make it) develop natural immunity.

Are we that much less advanced than China that we cannot contain the spread like they did?

52 minutes ago, EastCoastPA said:

And how did the communist censorship regime contain the spread so fast and so well you might ask?

3vqbc0.jpg

I don't doubt that their numbers are lies and BS, but I also don't doubt that they were more effective in slowing the spread. They can lockdown like we can't here in the USA. Step foot outside and your family won't hear from you again type of lockdown.

Our numbers are BS too though. Until mid-March the CDC testing guidelines were ridiculously stringent (recent travel to China or known positive contact). It's easily 5-10 times what we think it is. Even know we're basically only testing people sick enough to be admitted.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Cideous said:

This has been my fear. 

The morbidity and mortality of this virus sucks. Such is life in a country full of old and sick people for whom this virus seems to be targeting... The economic crisis that this virus and we have created will break us. In fact, it has started to already. As a consumerism-based economy, we cannot function under an extended lockdown, as Abe said. The logic behind a lockdown is great to help prevent the spread and mitigate morbidity and mortality, but we also have to understand the detrimental effects of unemployment, loss of health insurance, etc. This too can have profound effects on our country. 

• Upvote 1

My employer has guaranteed jobs/pay through the end of April regardless of work status. Many of us have been called off because hospital volume is at 30%. We have hundreds of empty beds. They aren’t making us use PTO and the pension remains funded, but I don’t know how long this can last.

As a Hospitalist I’m not super worried about my job. I’m too useful right now, and if they furlough or fire us they won’t have the ability to react to COVID surges or to recover quickly once more normal volumes of non COVID patients return. But I’m worried they will take the benefits that made this job attractive, and more worried that this will drag on so long that the benefits won’t be reinstated at the end. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Well...received the email today that "changes are coming."  But, get this...instead of just informing us what the drop in salary will be, or who is being furloughed/laid off, they instead have asked for volunteers for furlough and also are REQUIRING all providers to respond by tomorrow telling them "what temporary salary reduction" can we offer THROUGH 5/31.  So, whether intentional or not, they have made this a head game and a system to be worked...of course they are also clear that they cannot guarantee to honor any of the offers...

On top of this, they have stated that all administrator salaries are being reduced 20%.  So, because I'm financially responsible with a comfortable emergency fund do I offer more than the administrator cut?  Or, because I'm ortho and essentially not working anyway do I offer more than the 20%?  Due to timing with my wife due in 6 weeks it is FAR more important for my health insurance to remain intact than my income...

But, I will be offering 20% reduction...#1 it matches the administrator cut and #2 when I calculate out a trimmed budget that doesn't require me to tap savings or put my mortgage on forbearance it comes out to a 20% cut...could normally go further except that food and other necessities are expensive as h3ll!

Good luck to all, and for those who are not furloughed in any way - I can only assume it's because you are truly on the front lines so thank you.  For the rest of us/you...make sure to apply for unemployment.  It's a TAX that you pay whether you realize it or not.  I will be applying the moment I know what is happening.

• Like 2

My employer is reducing one hr. a day,  I worked there for 7 yrs full time, hourly pay. I am concern this will not be the only cut, and he will be changing it ( hrs/ work) on a weekly basis, he is not lying off anybody, only reducing hrs. Is there any way I can apply for lost income, I am on payroll. Any advice.?

9 minutes ago, Fiorella said:

Can you apply for unemployment if your have salary reduction, in my case 1hr a day. 5 hrs a week ? And how do you do that.No one answers a phone at the unemployment office. Thank you. 

It is my understanding that a drop of income would mean you are eligible for unemployment, but at a significantly reduced rate compared to if you lost your income in full.

Yes but what about if he cont. reducing my hrs, when I apply for unemployment it will be Less already that what I used to get, ins't it better to just apply as soon as you have any lost of income even if is 1hr a day, so they known , how much they have to give you exactly if I eventually lost the job. 

For those PAs who work in outpatient clinics who had lost their jobs due to COVID and attempting to find a full time job in telemedicine, 90% of telemedicine jobs has already been taken by NPs and WILL NOT CONSIDER PAs (although they do advertise NP/PA on job ads) simply due to the fact that NPs does not require a SP.

Goes to show that we will soon be phased out of the job market on every state if we just sit tight. We need to advocate for ourselves!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, kang1208 said:

For those PAs who work in outpatient clinics who had lost their jobs due to COVID and attempting to find a full time job in telemedicine, 90% of telemedicine jobs has already been taken by NPs and WILL NOT CONSIDER PAs (although they do advertise NP/PA on job ads) simply due to the fact that NPs does not require a SP.

Goes to show that we will soon be phased out of the job market on every state if we just sit tight. We need to advocate for ourselves!

And so it begins...the great replacement of PA's for NP's

8 minutes ago, RadAssPA said:

I've heard so many physician say "If I had to do it all over again I would become a PA". Never once have I heard "If I had to do it all over again I would become an NP". Just sayin...

15 years ago that was true.  Not today.  3 years from now if we don't start getting some major autonomy victories like NP's have, we will be finished off.

5 hours ago, RadAssPA said:

I've heard so many physician say "If I had to do it all over again I would become a PA". Never once have I heard "If I had to do it all over again I would become an NP". Just sayin...

They don't want to be physician but they want to be physician's assistant?? I found it hard to believe.

The fact is NPs are taking our jobs and we have a lot of work to do. 

First we can start with:

1.OTP/FAPR, collaboration can be done with a experienced PA if needed. We don't need a MD in the picture.

2. Name change to Medical Care Practitioner 

Some of these hiring managers do know that PAs are better trained than NPs, but looking at the business and administration side of it, it's just easier to employ NPs than PAs.

While there may be many PAs who work in a hospital setting, they may or may not know this trend or even care since they are "stable" at their position. But think about this could be you someday looking for a new job and gets turned down while NPs replace them, so for the sake of all the PAs and our future job prospects, we need to make some changes! 

• Upvote 2

So received the "final" word regarding compensation, for now pending continued decisions based on timeline.  As I said, they already decided on a 20% cut to administration.  As of current pay period through the end of May, a total of 4 paychecks, we will not accrue ANY new PTO, physician income cut 15%, PA/NP income cut 10%, and support staff income cut 5%.  We can use our PTO to "make up" the lost income if wanted/needed.

While I still don't think asking everyone to give the information they asked for a good idea, this result is actually a surprisingly well thought out solution.  Many in my organization have been beyond angry with admin all working from home and some of our new policies being stupid and unrelated to current situations.  But, for admin to take the largest pay cut makes sense...I'm sure physicians aren't thrilled, but with their inflated incomes it also makes sense.

Edit: meant to also include that I've been able to pick up 6 UC shifts over the next 6 weeks, which will basically make up for the lost income as they are paid hourly separate from my normal base salary.

Edited by mgriffiths
  • Like 1