What Impact if Your PA Career Abruptly Ended?

About 5 years ago I was at a physician friend's house. She made the comment that her entire identity and self esteem was tied up in her being a doctor, that if she lost that title, she, herself, would be lost. At the time, I could not relate. I have so many varied interests that loosing my career as a PA, I thought would have little impact as I would pursue something else. Now that it has happened, it is much harder than I expected.

I was thinking as food for thought, what impact would it have on you if your PA career ended today? Financially? Emotionally? What would be your fall back career?

I haven't missed it a bit, and I don't associate myself with my professional background.  I am in the process as I write this of reviewing office emergency videos/courses for dental hygiene students as a courtesy for my wife's mentor from years back who was a DH professor, and would be interested in simplifying what these courses are trying to relay to the students.  If I were younger, still needing to work, or just wanting to get out of the house (once honey do projects are completed), I would look into professional education.  Direct patient care days are in the rear view mirror.  Having said that, I wouldn't mind reviewing incoming lab/diagnostic studies for a group practice and forwarding those who need attention sooner rather than later.

In years past where there was a break in employment for whatever the reason that at times could be stressful but we were never in a situation to where we were worried about where next months funds' were coming from.

Edited by GetMeOuttaThisMess

You ask a tough question. It sounds like that doc really identifies with being a doc, to the point that -- if she loses the title -- she'll lose herself. Not a great place to be. Over a lifetime, it takes some effort to be both motivated by your job and also aloof enough to recognize that you are not your job, no matter how much you love it. I don't think I've done a great job at that, but I try.

When COVID hit, I decided that rounding in the hospital wasn't a good idea for a married PA in his 70s with a 100-year-old father. Same thing with my 34 year hobby of riding with EMS as a paramedic a few times each month. Two of three jobs gone, though I no longer have to work so much for the money as I do for the satisfaction. I continue my half-time PA teaching gig (putting in a fair amount more time for free), which kept me motivated. A few weeks ago, I started doing telemedicine for my practice two days a week, working from my desk at home. Turns out that I enjoy that.

I once was out for 6 months going through chemo and quickly learned that I can't not be busy. I like vacations, but not every week. I think that I'd do some more writing if the telemedicine thing goes away before a vaccine shows up. I guess the thing is to know who you are and what you'd like to do. There can be more adventures for you just around the corner, no matter what happens in macro-world. As long as the motor runs, keep driving the car that is your life.

Good luck.

• Like 4

Today, and likely just today - I would walk away and not be sad.

Today has sucked, medicine sucks right now and people are just mean.

If I did lose my job - my family would be in financial straits and a world of hurt.

I don't identify as my profession. I would love to do 50 other things - however, none of them pay what I make now.

So, my psyche would suffer for my family but not doing what I do would not change my identity as a person.

But again, today really sucks.

• Like 3

I ponder this, as I probably have 4-8 years more to work FT.  I may continue to work on a part time basis.  Fortunately, financial security is much closer than it was in February.

Right now, I do think a large part of my personal identity comes from being an EM PA, like it did from being a FF/medic and adjunct professor in the past.  My plan is to change that focus to being a spouse and a grandpa.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Reality Check 2 said:

Today, and likely just today - I would walk away and not be sad.

Today has sucked, medicine sucks right now and people are just mean.

If I did lose my job - my family would be in financial straits and a world of hurt.

I don't identify as my profession. I would love to do 50 other things - however, none of them pay what I make now.

So, my psyche would suffer for my family but not doing what I do would not change my identity as a person.

But again, today really sucks.

I hear ya! I’m a newbie and it certainly isn’t like school out there. 

What specialty are you in? Is there any part you enjoy?

4 hours ago, ohiovolffemtp said:

I ponder this, as I probably have 4-8 years more to work FT.  I may continue to work on a part time basis.  Fortunately, financial security is much closer than it was in February.

Right now, I do think a large part of my personal identity comes from being an EM PA, like it did from being a FF/medic and adjunct professor in the past.  My plan is to change that focus to being a spouse and a grandpa.

This is a consistent theme I've seen in those of us who were prior(current) EMS. Myself and my wife both fight a battle to not be defined by our careers, and realizing that you should work to live, not live to work. 

Makes you wonder if it is the culture of the field or the personality type drawn to it.

If I were to lose my position I'd likely continue teaching... wildlife biologist? Study muskrats or something? I'm not sure. 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

I wouldn’t say how I define myself is by working in medicine, but I certainly derive most of my self worth and satisfaction from how well I do my job, how good I am at it, and whether my patients do well or not. I wasn’t a talented kid growing up other being maybe slightly smarter than average, but definitely not the smartest. So finding medicine, something that came naturally, did well, and contributed to the world, made me put a lot of myself in there. If I couldnt do medicine, but still was healthy, I think I could find something else like engineer, though I would be really down if I never found anything I was equally good at that did as much good.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 2

It would be a huge blow to me. I define myself as an emergency medicine provider. If I couldn't do that, I would probably teach. I have a doctoral degree, so can teach global health, undergraad science courses, etc. That would likely involve a 60%+ salary cut, so would need to downsize my life a lot. Pay off debt, not take trips, maybe sell the house and move to a more affordable state. It would be tough. I have a disability policy that cuts in at 180 days, so if that applied there would be a bit of extra there, but it would still be tough.

• Like 1

tough question

prior to PA I was a competitive cyclist and gained my identity through that, now I am a dad and PA

Finacaily it would be tough - at the point in my career where I am socking it away for retirement, but you know I would adjust, and downsize.... it would be hard but okay

back to identity, I am pretty burned out right now so 6m off sounds great, but then I would think I would need to do something, maybe fall back on the business degrees and experience, or sell a ton-o-junk (radical downsize) and live simple and not stress (tought to get my family on board for this)

Honestly it would e tough - made a little easier if I was disabled do to disability policy.... but if not (just lost my license) I would be up shitz creek after about 6 months.....

I walked away from a toxic job about a year ago and it is just finally leaving my psychy now....

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Now this is a twist on the question. One of the things I'm realizing is how much of my socialization took place around work (both interacting with patients and staff). I know we are living in odd times with COVID, and if it were not for COVID, I think I would have moved right into other groups, sailing, hiking, writing, but the isolation intensified how much I missed those work relationships. I know that some people, and I've had jobs like that, where you never counted patients or colleagues as friends. So, how much would you miss your work environment socially?  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, jmj11 said:

Now this is a twist on the question. One of the things I'm realizing is how much of my socialization took place around work (both interacting with patients and staff). I know we are living in odd times with COVID, and if it were not for COVID, I think I would have moved right into other groups, sailing, hiking, writing, but the isolation intensified how much I missed those work relationships. I know that some people, and I've had jobs like that, where you never counted patients or colleagues as friends. So, how much would you miss your work environment socially?  

None. I've had a few coworkers I've considered friends over the years. I have not found any since leaving the military though.  Maybe I'm getting into a boo hoo pity party, but I don't think I've made a friend in the 3 years since I've left.

Interesting question. The financial aspect would be really tough. As someone stated above there are other things I might like to do but none with anywhere near the income.

I learned a few things during my long furlough. The first is my identity isn't really all that wrapped up in being a PA which surprised me. Some years ago I had a conversation about this very thing. If you meet someone new and you hear "tell me about yourself" almost anyone will mention their occupation as one of the first few things in describing themselves.

With the general high suck factor of practicing these days and the increased suck of working UC in a major med center, other than being stressed about the finances, I found I didn't miss medicine at all.

My work colleagues, all of whom I really like a lot, were just gone and I didn't particularly grieve their absence. I only spoke to a couple over the months and that was mostly to catch up on the work gossip about what was going to be re-opened and who might get called back to work when. I may be a little different than most about what constitutes a friend. I have a few and they have been my friends for many years. I don't pick up new ones casually.

I have a new position that lacks everything I disliked about corporate medicine. I may grow to enjoy working again. For years it has been something I suffered through as a matter of necessity.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

1 hour ago, sas5814 said:

Interesting question. The financial aspect would be really tough. As someone stated above there are other things I might like to do but none with anywhere near the income.

I learned a few things during my long furlough. The first is my identity isn't really all that wrapped up in being a PA which surprised me. Some years ago I had a conversation about this very thing. If you meet someone new and you hear "tell me about yourself" almost anyone will mention their occupation as one of the first few things in describing themselves.

With the general high suck factor of practicing these days and the increased suck of working UC in a major med center, other than being stressed about the finances, I found I didn't miss medicine at all.

My work colleagues, all of whom I really like a lot, were just gone and I didn't particularly grieve their absence. I only spoke to a couple over the months and that was mostly to catch up on the work gossip about what was going to be re-opened and who might get called back to work when. I may be a little different than most about what constitutes a friend. I have a few and they have been my friends for many years. I don't pick up new ones casually.

I have a new position that lacks everything I disliked about corporate medicine. I may grow to enjoy working again. For years it has been something I suffered through as a matter of necessity.

Urgent Care PA myself. 

I have days where I enjoy what I do, and other days where I want to put a me-sized hole in the wall. 

But I've never identified myself by what I do. Learned that lesson the hard way as a multi-sport teenager when I blew out my knee. So my identity wouldn't miss it at all if the run ended today. Financially, definitely. Otherwise, no.

I'll be seriously re-thinking things post covid. I'm anticipating feeling like I'll have done my duty when it's all over, and it'll be time to move into a new chapter, but we'll see. 

I enjoy my time away from work, but miss work after a few days unless I am on a cool vacation somewhere or scuba diving, etc. I grew up in another state (CA), and despite moving to the pacific NW 21 years ago I have made very few close friends outside of work( ok, none). My wife grew up here, but her friends are really not my friends. She went to HS with them, not me, so we don't have shared history. I have 10 days off because I was supposed to be taking my kid to college. Not happening now. I have some stuff to do around the house, but I wouldn't be sad if I had to go back to work tomorrow. My best friends now are all folks I met at work. Many I no longer work with, but still hang out with, go to concerts with, etc.

• Upvote 1

hThis is where females and males differ. Males define themselves by what they are ; females by who they are. Yes, it was an accomplishment climbing the rungs of education and experience to get where you are but we all must look at this question seriously. 70% of our profession is now female so this is not a hot button subject but we all are susceptible to abrupt landings created by a severe sickness, a motor vehicle accident, a GSW, a malpractice case or even burnout. This being true, we all need to ask this question of ourselves.

I practiced for 46 years but was a soldier prior to that in a tight knit group. I was a minister simultaneously for fifteen years and spoke nationally. Yes , it was partially a head trip but it also gave me the sense of answering a call that I received in Vietnam and it was a payback to God and to humanity. I have been a Police Chaplain and took good care of those whom I was responsible for but was also impressed with my shiny gold shield. I gave up all of them except being a surgical and EM PA but the day I abruptly retired , I did not miss this rat race for a second.

I am pleased with everyone's response because we all want to excel and love our work but there are days you would rather be humping the elephant with a backpack and your trusty weapons.

• Like 2

On 8/25/2020 at 12:50 PM, ventana said:

prior to PA I was a competitive cyclist and gained my identity through that

I can identify with this. I identify more as a cyclist than a PA. Don't get me wrong I enjoy being a PA but if I won the lottery tomorrow I'd be happy to spend the rest of my days pedaling away. 

1 hour ago, DogLovingPA said:

Wouldn't miss it one single bit.  Financially would be hard and that's it.  I did marine science for 11 years first and every day I ask myself what the fuck I was thinking changing careers.   I run voly with the local rescue squad and would continue that for sure.  

There's a local organization here that uses dogs to sniff out orca feces.

Sounds like one of the best jobs in the world to me...

• Upvote 1

PA career ended: I would be happy and sad all in the same moment. Would be hard to find other positions for work that pay as well. Being out of debt and following Dave Ramsey the finical stress would not be high. 

If I lost my job as a PA: I have several back up positions that are already there (places I have worked or work PRN). 

11 hours ago, DogLovingPA said:

Wouldn't miss it one single bit.  Financially would be hard and that's it.  I did marine science for 11 years first and every day I ask myself what the fuck I was thinking changing careers.   I run voly with the local rescue squad and would continue that for sure.  

What were you thinking??? You must be bat shit crazy.