Alternative job titles survey

I just completed it, it took about 20-30 minutes. The content is confidential, so I won't comment on specifics.

I will say that it seems that WPP has been thinking in depth about the topic. And also, that the act of filling out the survey has shaped my thinking on the matter.

Look for the survey in your mailboxes, soon! I am looking forward to seeing how this process unfolds.

I thought it was a good survey and it prompted me to think about the name and its effect in a different way. 

Without discussing the options mentioned I do think some may have been there as tools to calibrate the survey rather than genuine suggestions. At least I hope so. 

Overall I think name change is not the thing holding our profession back. The fact we lack serious numbers and thus our lobbying power is so much less than other professional groups is the biggest hurdle. 

• Upvote 2

I agree I was taken a bit aback by a couple of the suggestions - that is what I was alluding to when I said it seemed like WPP had put a lot of thought into the process.

I think the name is holding our profession back to some extent - when people see 'assistant' in the name, they tend to think non-autonomous and dependent (which we are, but not as much as the name suggests - IMHO).

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Lyndhurst said:

I thought it was a good survey and it prompted me to think about the name and its effect in a different way. 

Without discussing the options mentioned I do think some may have been there as tools to calibrate the survey rather than genuine suggestions. At least I hope so. 

Overall I think name change is not the thing holding our profession back. The fact we lack serious numbers and thus our lobbying power is so much less than other professional groups is the biggest hurdle. 

One could only hope that some of the options where for calibration purposes otherwise would have major concerns. 

One thing the survey totally left out was performance of medical procedures, only mentioning leading or assisting in surgery.  I've primarily done EM, but did some UC, and some outpatient primary care and procedures were part of all of those, especially EM.

I'm not sure that any of the 4 possible options I saw really conveyed autonomy well.

1 hour ago, ohiovolffemtp said:

One thing the survey totally left out was performance of medical procedures, only mentioning leading or assisting in surgery.  I've primarily done EM, but did some UC, and some outpatient primary care and procedures were part of all of those, especially EM.

I'm not sure that any of the 4 possible options I saw really conveyed autonomy well.

I was thinking of the same thing, so I assumed leading = performing

I just took the survey.  While there is a lot of fussing going on about the 4 options you must realize that these may not  be our only options.  That info was in the survey when you opened it.  So these may not be our only choices.  It was a survey on our perceptions.

I perceive 2 of the titles as options and I perceive two of the titles as fake titles that someone just made up.....unless we will be the new made up word that social media expands on and then it is used world wide...  like the word "google".

22 minutes ago, sas5814 said:

I think people are getting into a twist a little too early. Wait until the end point.

Yea this is the same thing that happened with the last survey, although the outrage seems to be a bit less this time. I understand the frustration, it's been such a long process and a lot of money is being spent on an already contentious issue; I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that this company will get some good data from it. 

I wasn't thrilled with the options they narrowed it down to either, but there's not much to do now besides trust the process, and see what the outcome is. They did ask for feedback and alternative title suggestions in the final question, so that should be reassuring for those who didn't like the survey. 

I think people forget that this is still a branding initiative for our profession, not a vote on our final title. That vote will come later, and hopefully will be well informed by what this company is finding out now. 

• Upvote 1