Alternative job titles survey

1 hour ago, Hope2PA said:

Does anyone know if some titles were eliminated because didn’t want to “upset” other providers? Was primary goal to not PO anyone and give PA’s what is left because anything is better than assistant?

That is EXACTLY the impression that I got, and exactly why I think the ridiculous 'extra letter' was added to the popular one I have seen thrown about before the survey. In my eyes it totally destroys it, and it seems like they are railroading a particular one (or none) instead of actually asking for any feedback or opinions from the member base.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BayPAC said:

It's easy to know which title we will have after completing this survey. Anyone agree? 

That's the feeling I had too. It seemed there was only one obvious choice out of the options provided, although I don't think it's the best option for the profession overall.

2 hours ago, EastCoastPA said:

That is EXACTLY the impression that I got, and exactly why I think the ridiculous 'extra letter' was added to the popular one I have seen thrown about before the survey. In my eyes it totally destroys it, and it seems like they are railroading a particular one (or none) instead of actually asking for any feedback or opinions from the member base.

I'm unsure if we're talking about the same one, but I was quite disappointed to not see one of the most popular title options represented (or rather, represented but changed in a way that made it overly long and cumbersome). The only thing I can think of is that it wasn't included due to perceived difficulties with gaining eventual legal protection as a professional title since it can technically apply to other professions as well. This is an argument made by a PA/lawyer on the Huddle (who is in favor of said title aside from that issue), and unfortunately it's an argument that may hold weight. I can only hope WPP did their due diligence before excluding it. 

Edited by ProSpectre
wording
  • Like 1

Not that it matters now, but do es anyone feel the initial survey and the fact other professions were ask for their thoughts may have impacted what is best for PA profession? I seriously doubt if PA’s would be consulted on what others should do for their professional future!. Forgive my question if I mistakenly understood physicians, NP’s and admin were  in some way surveyed. Also, there should Not have been an elimination based on perceived legal issues. Isn’t that what $$$ was spent, like ProSpectre said, I hope they actually did true full diligence, but not confident in that thought. 

Edited by Hope2PA
Forgot to add one sentence
  • Upvote 1

Geez, some people just can’t be happy. 

they had 150+ titles they narrowed it down from. No point in asking about ones that can’t be done. It would just muddy the water when figuring out what PAs want that is actually achievable. My favorite title, different from others, wasn’t in there either, despite it being used around the world, but I’m not over here whining. I’m just happy this is happening at all. It wasnt even on the radar of what could happen in 2015.

lets all let the dust settle and then we can make conspiracy theories. We don’t even know what the results of this survey will be.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, LT_Oneal_PAC said:

Geez, some people just can’t be happy. 

they had 150+ titles they narrowed it down from. No point in asking about ones that can’t be done. It would just muddy the water when figuring out what PAs want that is actually achievable. My favorite title, different from others, wasn’t in there either, despite it being used around the world, but I’m not over here whining. I’m just happy this is happening at all. It wasnt even on the radar of what could happen in 2015.

lets all let the dust settle and then we can make conspiracy theories. We don’t even know what the results of this survey will be.

You’re right — whatever it says about me, it’s hard for me to be completely happy and enthusiastic about this. That’s probably secondary to how difficult it’s been to just get to this point in changing the title, so it feels like we’re stuck with the new title permanently. It would be a shame to “get it wrong.”

That said, the questions asked helped me feel better about one of the options I’d discounted before.

Also, there is a free-text box at the end for comments and suggestions for other titles. (feel free to edit if this is saying too much)

2 hours ago, kidpresentable said:

You’re right — whatever it says about me, it’s hard for me to be completely happy and enthusiastic about this. That’s probably secondary to how difficult it’s been to just get to this point in changing the title, so it feels like we’re stuck with the new title permanently. It would be a shame to “get it wrong.”

That said, the questions asked helped me feel better about one of the options I’d discounted before.

Also, there is a free-text box at the end for comments and suggestions for other titles. (feel free to edit if this is saying too much)

I agree. I would like to get it right the first time.

I meant more about how people railroad the AAPA about conspiracies, ineptitude, and lack of support for the “base”. I think they’ve done as best they can with this title change to make everyone happy. Independent firm and research, gave them 150 names to sort through, surveys for members and nonmembers, they are pushing OTP simultaneously with this issue, they’ve released ad campaigns, prevented legislative catastrophes, pushed back against physician groups. I mean, compared to the AAPA when I was in school that was trash, this AAPA has done everything I’ve asked. Now they are doing the title change due diligence and people are upset because it isn’t going the way they want it to. It’s okay to be displeased with the choices, but to say the AAPA is intentionally subverting the process or they aren’t doing their due diligence without any evidence to suggest such is extreme.

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, ProSpectre said:

That's the feeling I had too. It seemed there was only one obvious choice out of the options provided, although I don't think it's the best option for the profession overall.

I'm unsure if we're talking about the same one, but I was quite disappointed to not see one of the most popular title options represented (or rather, represented but changed in a way that made it overly long and cumbersome). The only thing I can think of is that it wasn't included due to perceived difficulties with gaining eventual legal protection as a professional title since it can technically apply to other professions as well. This is an argument made by a PA/lawyer on the Huddle (who is in favor of said title aside from that issue), and unfortunately it's an argument that may hold weight. I can only hope WPP did their due diligence before excluding it. 

Without going into too much detail, I actually don't mind the extra "word" in that particular title. I agree it is longer to say it but I don't think we will get sue just introduce ourselves without that extra" word" as long we have the full name on the name tag. I actually think that extra word is brilliant, it definitely sounds like someone who can be your primary care provider. Someone who is caring , holistic and at the same time qualified.  If we going to change the name, we need a name that could carry us not only for the next 5 to 10 years but beyond. We need a name that lasts. We need a name that can stand alone. I think for the profession to move forward and grow, we really need to take advantage in the primary care physician shortage . We need a name that can tell the patient..Yes, I am your primary care provider. 

1 hour ago, LT_Oneal_PAC said:

I agree. I would like to get it right the first time.

I meant more about how people railroad the AAPA about conspiracies, ineptitude, and lack of support for the “base”. I think they’ve done as best they can with this title change to make everyone happy. Independent firm and research, gave them 150 names to sort through, surveys for members and nonmembers, they are pushing OTP simultaneously with this issue, they’ve released ad campaigns, prevented legislative catastrophes, pushed back against physician groups. I mean, compared to the AAPA when I was in school that was trash, this AAPA has done everything I’ve asked. Now they are doing the title change due diligence and people are upset because it isn’t going the way they want it to. It’s okay to be displeased with the choices, but to say the AAPA is intentionally subverting the process or they aren’t doing their due diligence without any evidence to suggest such is extreme.

AAPA should be commended as they are moving in a positive direction. Don't assume statements are questioning AAPA, it is WPP who developed survey and are suppose to be diligently working for AAPA.  Concern started from first survey that should have gone much smoother for an experienced research company.  AAPA and PA's are relying on a basically non medical company that have shown some weaknesses in this process.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Hope2PA said:

AAPA should be commended as they are moving in a positive direction. Don't assume statements are questioning AAPA, it is WPP who developed survey and are suppose to be diligently working for AAPA.  Concern started from first survey that should have gone much smoother for an experienced research company.  AAPA and PA's are relying on a basically non medical company that have shown some weaknesses in this process.  

Part of my post was not just about here. People are really crapping on this thing on reddit and facebook. 

• Administrator

Ok, finally taking it myself:

What the heck is this "income from primary employer" nonsense, AGAIN?  I am getting SIX W-2s and a 1099 for 2019, and you want to hear about my primary employer?  Um, that's about 55% of my total income.

How many patients do I see in a day?  Understand that I have shifts that vary from 2 hours to 12 hours, and often work for two employers on the same day.  How, exactly, am I supposed to answer that sensibly?

No "preliminary questions" on my other practices or what I do with the rest of my time...

The rest of it feels like a psychological test.  I can see why people hate it.  I get that there needed to be a control option or two... but really?  Half the options?

Recently read 2 articles one from physicians one from NP, both few years old, both indicating use of “provider” to describe them  was either demeaning or just plain nondescript. Physicians like term clinician and NP practitioner. BTW, I haven’t seen survey, only comment from another site. Maybe the 3 word title  I think PA Cali was referring to, should be dropped to more of the first 2 words only. Or use three similar to Sppech/Lanuguage Therapist. Although full title is The 3, I’ve seen various Speech path, speech therapist, language therapist etc.. you get the drift. 

Edited by Hope2PA
Added info

I took it today 

I found it to be okay

some warm up questions.  Some garbage, and some meaty ones.   
this is the way theses surveys are written, it is actually a science into itself

please don’t complain about it.  AAPA has come so far in a fairly short amount of time.  Heck one of the Dakotas basically passed OTP and people used to say that would take millions of dollars and decades.  AAPA is working hard at this.  Give em time to finish the survey

• Like 1

I suspect the titles were essentially made up to test the perception of something totally unique and different vs something similar to our current title.I doubt if those were the actual recommended titles.
 I think people are getting into a twist a little too early. Wait until the end point.
Well quite frankly that's how our profession and often times this forum is...

News: There's a name change survey

PA's: blah blah blah, it sucks... Mehhh.... The names are stupid... Why change it... Blah blah blah....

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

• Like 1