Title Change and our 3 "pillars"

The AAPA HOD is coming soon and the preliminary docs have been published including statements from our 3 "pillars". They are all wordy and scholarly and sound wise-ish. Let me summarize them for those not inclined to read the whole thing(s).

PAEA- It's too hard and we don't understand why we should. The doctors might get mad and not take our students on rotations.

NCCPA- It's too hard and would cost us too much money

ARC-PA- It's too hard.

My favorite comment from all 3 docs? I couldn't make this up if I tried.... "Maybe we can re-brand PA to mean we assist patients."

Yes...we can be patient assistants. We can also hang out in the hospital lobby with the candy stripers and push patients in wheelchairs to their appointments.

One asked if we should really pass the costs of title change on to the young PAs. No we should wait until the profession shrinks to nothing while we collect "data" (a magical word in their world).

Mostly what I read was ivory tower thinking far removed from the realities of getting things done in the trenches of legislative and regulatory realities.

My head hurts and it's still early....

Edited by sas5814
  • Like 1
  • Sad 4

Yea... I know their letters are long thoughtful things  but if we keep getting bogged down in an eternal list of "what ifs" and "we need more data" we are never going to move an inch.

What I hear is fear and a great deal of comfort with how it has always been. There has never been as much data on title change as there is right now and we paid over $1 million for it. Lets do SOMETHING for crying out loud.

4 hours ago, sas5814 said:

PAEA- It's too hard and we don't understand why we should. The doctors might get mad and not take our students on rotations.

NCCPA- It's too hard and would cost us too much money

ARC-PA- It's too hard.

PAEA I'm not too sure about. ARC-PA and NCCPA both have a ton of physicians on their boards are both are authoritarian monopolies. They can put their letters in a sunless place. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

15 hours ago, sas5814 said:

My favorite comment from all 3 docs? I couldn't make this up if I tried.... "Maybe we can re-brand PA to mean we assist patients."

PA = Patient Assistant ?! is this a April fool's joke?

PAEA - Doing nothing other than help building bunch of PA schools, so they can get membership fees. 

ARCPA - Doing nothing other than allowing bunch of PA schools to be build right next to one another. 

NCCPA - Doing nothing other than collecting my money 

We spent all these time debating about MCP vs Associate. Guess what? we stay Assistant LOL 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

"OTP was going to cost millions and millions of dollars and take decades"

in the past month there have been to many states enacting parts or all of OTP I have lost count.  A few states have full OTP already!  The "old guard" was wrong - it did not cost millions, nor did it take decades - took a few years and some effort

I was just on a phone call discussion this week - and I am concerned the "old guard" is going to pull this same crap.

This takes reaching out to your HOD representatives NOW - politely demand that they listen to you - that they change our name (ideally MCP as that is what fits us best)     do it now as the meeting is coming up.   

https://www.aapa.org/about/aapa-governance-leadership/house-of-delegates/delegate-list/#M

listing of delegates--your state agency should be able to provide contact info for them.

It is do or die time.  We need to advocate for out own profession right now.   We are loosing each little battle, but the war is not lost.  We need to advance rapidly.

Of note one of the only formal items on the AAPA HOD meeting is a proposal to change the AAPA name to American Academy of Physician Associates.  Not perfect, and might be a step in the wrong direction as the MCP (Medical Care Practitioner) was widely and noticeably better received by society and is FAR better descriptor of our amazing profession but at least a step.

• Upvote 2

There is a move afoot to have a CO or caucus create a meaningful resolution before the HOD. Because the timeline has passed it requires a majority (I forget the percentage but I think it is 60%) of the HOD to approve allowing it. If that doesn't happen then an emergency resolution can be proposed but that requires 80% of the HOD to approve. If that doesn't happen there will be no vote on title change due to certain parlimentary rules I don't understand.

After all the discussion I find this situation stunning. I can't decide if it just slipped through the cracks because everyone assumed it would be discussed so nobody thought to actually make a good resolution, if they were all just cowards and didn't want to put their name on contentious issue, or if there is some weird illuminati type conspiracy going on.

I was in the HOD decades ago. I witnessed parliamentary maneuverings that would make Britain look like rank amateurs. One resolution (I forget about what) was summarily shot down. A high ranking AAPA person leapt into action with a motion to reconsider. A succession of other high ranking AAPA people sliced, diced and modified the resolution which narrowly passed as three separate resolutions essentially unchanged. 

It became pretty clear that what the "powers that be" wanted to pass was going to pass. People are not really interested in input. They want support for pre-conceived notions. 

Edited by CJAadmission
  • Like 1

I remember talking with an AAPA executive in 2013 during the DC AAPA conference and telling her that our profession would not be successful without changes because our competition was doing a much better job of cementing their position. She said something that I loosely remember as "we're running our own race" or words to that effect. Fortunately the profession has since decided to make changes, first with OTP and now with the name and branding change on the horizon.

It isn't surprising that some organizations (and people) would be opposed to change. It isn't necessarily Machiavellian; it's human inertia and often from people not actually in our marketplace. And there's always more data that could be collected. Just yesterday, I heard something related to all of this that made my mind flash to an imaginary scene on the sinking Titanic, with the engine crew engaging in a data mapping exercise to improve their "process" as the sound of crushing hull increrasingly interferes with their teambuilding exercise.

I like to analyze data myself but I think the time for that is past. Better to go with incomplete information than to dawdle further. There comes a time when you just have to try something different. We decided to do exactly that when we spent the $1 million (to, among other things, collect data.)  Is MCP my favorite name? Not sure, but it's good enough and what we've been doing for the last 15 years since I became a PA is not working well enough.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2