Title Change and our 3 "pillars"

And here everyone keeps telling me how pro name change the new AAPA leadership is...lol.  What a joke.  PA to NP bridge is what should now be a priority.  Combing the two fields so that we can benefit from their ALREADY won legislative battles.  Not to mention, they already have Practitioner in their name, not Assistant or Walmart Associate....

• Upvote 2

I can assure you the majority of the AAPA leadership is pro title change. This is the HOD and that is a totally different story. As a large mixed body of people there is a great variety of opinions.

As for the other 3 groups they would naturally resist any big changes to their particular bubble. They have a system they are comfortable with and won't want to change it unless it's their idea or they see a benefit to their organization. That is why I don't think they should really get any time at the HOD. Write a letter like the rest of us.

• Like 2

Is the name change just a scapegoat for larger concerns?

Almost everyone I know just says "PA" or "NP" and I don't think they even think about what the letters stand for. Certainly nurse practitioners have had to overcome "nurse!" being right in our title and it does not seem to stand in the way of a large percentage of people reporting that an NP is their "primary care provider" or happily going to an independent NP for their appointments. I hear people calling PAs their "assistant" as often as I hear people calling their NP "a nurse", which is never.

I just wonder if the name change would really even be a big deal if accomplished?

4 hours ago, sas5814 said:

There is a move afoot to have a CO or caucus create a meaningful resolution before the HOD. Because the timeline has passed it requires a majority (I forget the percentage but I think it is 60%) of the HOD to approve allowing it. If that doesn't happen then an emergency resolution can be proposed but that requires 80% of the HOD to approve. If that doesn't happen there will be no vote on title change due to certain parlimentary rules I don't understand.

After all the discussion I find this situation stunning. I can't decide if it just slipped through the cracks because everyone assumed it would be discussed so nobody thought to actually make a good resolution, if they were all just cowards and didn't want to put their name on contentious issue, or if there is some weird illuminati type conspiracy going on.

Make no mistake, this wasn't "missed" - this is par for the course based on "old" considerations and not wanting to "rock the boat."  There is front-window optics and back-room deal making.  This is very much the latter...

G

• Upvote 2

HOD can introduce and pass things on the floor

I think that is the plan (I am guessing and have no knowledge of such but I am an optimist!)  Why else spend a million bucks on a study and not even bring it up???

If not - who can we crawl into bed with in the nursing lobby to get a Master level PA bridge to MSN/DNP????

3 hours ago, Komorebi said:

Is the name change just a scapegoat for larger concerns?

Almost everyone I know just says "PA" or "NP" and I don't think they even think about what the letters stand for. Certainly nurse practitioners have had to overcome "nurse!" being right in our title and it does not seem to stand in the way of a large percentage of people reporting that an NP is their "primary care provider" or happily going to an independent NP for their appointments. I hear people calling PAs their "assistant" as often as I hear people calling their NP "a nurse", which is never.

I just wonder if the name change would really even be a big deal if accomplished?

The big deal doesn't come at work....much. It comes up legislatively. To make a long story short we have been culled from more positive legislation by someone who saw the word "assistant" and equated it with a medical assistant more times than I can remember.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, TheFatMan said:

Recs for what to do now? Is it too late to contact organizations to express our support for title change? Their responses are incredibly disappointing.

Late update! The HOD chairman made a long post and explained that there was a resolution to discuss the change and renaming that was removed from the general agenda and placed in the consent agenda a while back and it will be fully debated and discussed and voted on.

Now why the big chowder head let this argument rage across the internet for a week before he said anything is a different discussion.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

24 minutes ago, sas5814 said:

Late update! The HOD chairman made a long post and explained that there was a resolution to discuss the change and renaming that was removed from the general agenda and placed in the consent agenda a while back and it will be fully debated and discussed and voted on.

Now why the big chowder head let this argument rage across the internet for a week before he said anything is a different discussion.

possibly.....

if they are really trying to change this all - they are likely fighting non-stop with the naysayers and working 25 hours a day to convince old guard that this is the right thing... (I am an eternal optimist) 

now about that PA-->DNP program 

35 minutes ago, sas5814 said:

I just read that in the Huddle also and thought the very same thing about why he or anyone else in leadership or the mods of the Huddle let that go on.... Lots of back and forth from the upper ups in AAPA that would put Game of Thrones to shame in those threads. Lots of political bull$#!+

42 minutes ago, sas5814 said:

This is good to hear... maybe there is hope?

G

PAEA position statement is embarrassing. Their ranks are full of Assistants who haven't practiced clinically for decades and are out of touch with modern trends in healthcare. Compare it to NP educators who are often the driving force for change in their profession

https://www.aapa.org/download/82110/

https://www.aapa.org/download/82107/

https://www.aapa.org/download/82114/

Edited by iconic

7 minutes ago, iconic said:

PAEA position statement is embarrassing. Their ranks are full of Assistants who haven't practiced clinically for decades and are out of touch with modern trends in healthcare. Compare it to NP educators who are often the driving force for change in their profession

couldn't read more then a few paragraphs before my BP went up to much and I had to stop reading

Who the heck is so far out of touch with reality??  Talk about ivory towers - think they have been drinking the cool aid

Funny world renowned marketing firm is hired and makes a conclusion and some administrative agency thinks they know more.  That is akin to me thinking I can out perform a heart surgeon at Cleveland Clinic.... just insane....

• Sad 1
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, iconic said:

PAEA has, almost always, been naysayers in any advancement or change. They seem to have forgotten their job is to adapt to the profession not the other way around. Hidebound and living in a bubble.

8 hours ago, sas5814 said:

PAEA has, almost always, been naysayers in any advancement or change. They seem to have forgotten their job is to adapt to the profession not the other way around. Hidebound and living in a bubble.

PAEA/PA schools are the happiest when they heard PA is the no.1 profession on USNews report. Every schools were posting that on their FB. They love those applicants/tuition$  They don't really care anything else. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, PACali said:

PAEA/PA schools are the happiest when they heard PA is the no.1 profession on USNews report. Every schools were posting that on their FB. They love those applicants/tuition$  They don't really care anything else. 

aaaaaand we have a winner.  Tell him what he's won Bob!  I fully paid trip to ....the unemployment line!  Yea! 

Ugggh.

• Haha 1

On 4/22/2021 at 10:16 AM, Cideous said:

And here everyone keeps telling me how pro name change the new AAPA leadership is...lol.  What a joke.  PA to NP bridge is what should now be a priority.  Combing the two fields so that we can benefit from their ALREADY won legislative battles.  Not to mention, they already have Practitioner in their name, not Assistant or Walmart Associate....

The AAPA BOD is, but the regulatory rules in place limits any title change to the HOD. You can be mad all you want, as I will be too if this fails, but be accurate.

• Like 2

I want to add one more thought because I have discussed this so much in so many places I'm losing my edge.

First all of us need to be communicating with our HOD reps and our respective societies so they know what their membership thinks.

Second everyone who possibly can needs to speak when the steering committee is taking testimony. You have to be an AAPA member but your testimony is important. If you do get the chance consider ending with "if the AAPA doesn't make a change from assistant I'll allow my membership to lapse and will never join again."

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Joelseff said:

Here's a list of the HOD delegates. Reach out to them and let them know what you think about title change before the May meeting. 

https://www.aapa.org/about/aapa-governance-leadership/house-of-delegates/delegate-list/#C

Unfortunately it doesn't list email addresses so you may have to go to your orgs web site for contact information.

I also laughed when I saw I was the 8th alternate delegate (last choice) for Texas. Short of some sort of nuclear event in Texas I don't think I'll have a seat at the table.

20 minutes ago, sas5814 said:

Unfortunately it doesn't list email addresses so you may have to go to your orgs web site for contact information.

I also laughed when I saw I was the 8th alternate delegate (last choice) for Texas. Short of some sort of nuclear event in Texas I don't think I'll have a seat at the table.

Yeah I had to look in my LinkedIn contacts for some of mine. The ones I wasn't connected to I requested a connection. I suppose we can also contact our state org for the email addresses/contact info.