Jump to content

rev ronin

Administrator
  • Content Count

    5,099
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    167

rev ronin last won the day on April 4

rev ronin had the most liked content!

Community Reputation

3,922 Excellent

2 Followers

About rev ronin

  • Rank
    Administrator

Profile

  • Profession
    Physician Assistant

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

  1. Is your position an employment or a calling? If it's job, take off. You are there to punch a clock, do your best, and go home safe and healthy at the end of your shift. Plenty of good advice on how to do this above. If it's a calling, stay. Explain to your wife that you have to die of something someday, and while you will be as safe as you can, your purpose in life is to tend to the sick and dying.
  2. I have a (female) nurse named Drew, so I dodged that pothole too. Plus, I don't know that there is such a thing as a male Doula, so I correctly assumed your sex from literary cues. Oh, that and like 80% of currently graduating PA students are female.
  3. Doulas are not paid like PAs are. So, to take a different job like that you would not only NOT be making overtime, you'd be paid at a significantly lower hourly rate. The training would undoubtedly be awesome for communicating with women in labor, but I'm not sure how much it would help you get your foot in the door in a women's health PA role. I would counsel ANY new grad to get out of debt ASAP. Then, you have the freedom to take a lower-paying PA job with more ability practice the way you want. Once you have Malcolm Gladwell's magical 10,000 hours of PA work underneath your belt, you would not believe how many doors begin to open.
  4. BTW, as of this evening, we have now passed 0.1% lab confirmed prevalence in the U.S. And tomorrow, we're going to blow right through 10,000 confirmed fatalities.
  5. Well, use Dragon if you need to, but while I've been on the "this is probably going to be bad and I sure hope I'm wrong but exponential math..." bandwagon from the beginning, I think there's a fundamentally different take between "This is just like the flu only different" and "What makes this worse than the flu?" when the latter is asked honestly. The raw R number doesn't tell the whole story. We need people asking intelligent questions that, if answered, make us all smarter; we end up with people asking "How do we know vaccines work?"
  6. @SedRate , or anyone else who might know because I genuinely do not: - What's the relative rate of influenza hospitalization, both in overall cases and fatalities only, vs. Covid-19? - What's the relative length of influenza hospitalization, again for both overall cases and fatalities only, vs. Covid-19? - What's the relative length and rate of ICU and ventilator use in hospitalized influenza patients, vs. Covid-19? Because I fundamentally agree that your question makes sense: What is worse about Covid-19 that poses a risk of healthcare collapse, if it's not raw fatalities? I would guess that it's based on hospital bed, ICU bed, and ventilator use, which I suspect to be more frequent and/or longer in Covid-19 hospitalized cases overall and in fatalities.... but we're data-driven here, and I'm wondering if anyone else has done the leg work already?
  7. This was actually a carefully engineered ploy to create the illusion that moderators are human and not part of some vast conspiracy to oppress posters we collectively decide we don't like,
  8. Yeah... newbie, textwall, gmail account, posting from a phone carrier IP address, and with differing text characteristics as if the textwall was copied and pasted from somewhere. Thanks for your brief participation, you are excused from the site.
  9. Why on earth would the NPs consent to something like that?
  10. In all fairness, it took about a decade for America to lose its enthusiasm for firefighters. Not disputing our terminally short national memory, just your timeline...
  11. There's a reason universal precautions are universal. It is perhaps less offensive, but no less unjustified, to assess someone's likely Covid-19 status by their outward appearance than it is to fear and shun those we suspect to have HIV by their lifestyle markers.
  12. That's the point: the individual accounts don't cost money, the subscriptions do, so I could use the same account I had at my PA program, logged into Group Health's network/subscription, and get CME credit at no cost to me.
  13. You may have institutional access, but I wouldn't write off the Cat I CME unless you are unable to log on to an individual account. It was an option at Group Health, and some of the docs did it, but it seemed too much of a pain to sign in and out in multiple exam rooms.
  14. Yeah, probably not. Washington's is a 30-day renewable order.
  15. So, this has come up a bit here and there, and I wanted to address it in a systematic way: Businesses and government organizations are not incentivized to plan for 'black swan' events--that is, those that occur very infrequently and are devastating in impact. I learned this in IT security, working in a Fortune 100 company, that was both quite profitable and had quite a lot of money to address concerns. For the most part, it did not, because numbers didn't add up. 1) Most threats don't materialize within the planning horizon. While a 1% chance of a $4 billion impact might justify a $40 million mitigation plan on paper, there's a 99% chance that won't happen. 2) Your competition is not saving for a rainy day. Whether they can or not, the competitor who wants your job or customers has decided to cut corners, to deliver more goods, or services, or reduce taxes, or whatever. That money that might go for an IT hot site, or a rainy day fund, or extra N95s can instead be used for more marketing, or to reduce hold times, or to migrate to LED lighting. There's always something better to do with money than park it in a "break glass in case of emergency" case. 3) Disaster recovery plans don't work. It's simply too time consuming to keep them up to date as business processes change. By the time you NEED the disaster recovery plan, it's outdated. Or you missed some big contingency that you didn't know about because no one thought to tell the IT DR guys that critical system B depends on system F which was deemed non-mission-critical, because no one knows the ways in which complex systems will actually fail. That's almost the definition of "complex system". 4) There are too many black swan events to plan for. This time, it's an airborne coronavirus. What if it were a meteor? A terrorist attack? A digital Pearl Harbor? Which ones do you fund, and which ones do you not fund? If you fund all of them, there goes your dividends or fiscal reserves or earnings per share... And, again, the vast majority will not happen during the planning horizon. 5) The supply chain is not your friend in a time of disruptive change. All that stuff you WERE counting on being able to get? All your cheaper vendors, driven to that by the bid process, have outsourced everything to China or other low-cost geographies, so even if you specify American-made stuff, you're at most going to get it assembled or finally packaged here. When the world all needs X at once... you're not going to be able to get X, because the suppliers of X have optimized their supply chains, manufacturing processes, and delivery methods to be most efficient and the usual demand for X. So yeah, we're screwed. We were never NOT going to be screwed. It doesn't matter who was fired or not, or who spent money or not, because deep down underneath the finger pointing, our efficiency-driven system has engineered out the capacity to respond to unpredictable events. We have a Formula 1 race car, and we need to go 4x4ing.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More