My 19 year old kid told me today he was going to get an RN and go from there....

Told me today he is going for his RN at a local CC and will be doing a duel credit BSN program at the same time so when he is done he has his BSN.  From there he is interested in traveling or possibly management.  We went to Indeed and looked up how much travel nurses were making and SOB....I mean $100k +++.  I had to laugh Because the ENTIRE BSN is about $18k....

He is interested in becoming a psych RN and they simply make bank.  I find it bizarre that me, as a PA, has a son who is going to be an RN.  

All I can think is that we have so many brilliant people as PA's who are hamstrung by our restrictive laws and stupid ass name.  I have been pretty melancholy all day pondering how we got to this point as a profession where I can not recommend it to my own child.  

That's pretty heavy.

• Upvote 3

12 hours ago, Cideous said:

Told me today he is going for his RN at a local CC and will be doing a duel credit BSN program at the same time so when he is done he has his BSN.  From there he is interested in traveling or possibly management.  We went to Indeed and looked up how much travel nurses were making and SOB....I mean $100k +++.  I had to laugh Because the ENTIRE BSN is about $18k....

He is interested in becoming a psych RN and they simply make bank.  I find it bizarre that me, as a PA, has a son who is going to be an RN.  

All I can think is that we have so many brilliant people as PA's who are hamstrung by our restrictive laws and stupid ass name.  I have been pretty melancholy all day pondering how we got to this point as a profession where I can not recommend it to my own child.  

That's pretty heavy.

From an outsider perspective - why is any of this surprising to you?  I suppose it's possible that your posting history here is simply an online persona to vent your frustrations, but I think it's more likely that you disparage your profession in many aspects of your life. 

I'm guessing your son has heard you complain about the state of PAs for long enough and has no desire to go down that road.

• Upvote 2

That's ironic.  My son who is 23 and a new paramedic just told me yesterday that he is going to start his pre-reqs for ASN this fall. Continue the paramedic work until he gets his BSN than consider CRNA school.  He was thinking about flight nurse type stuff, but doesn't think that he wants to stay in pre-hospital medicine. 

I wouldn't recommend PA to anyone at this point

You can do everything a PA can as some type of nurse and more things that are much harder for us to do (own a practice, anesthesia, midwife, admin, insurance, etc). And when provider market hits rock bottom, can make more at bedside 

Really, the fact that we are generalists is killing us in the world of specialized healthcare 

Edited by iconic
  • Downvote 1

7 hours ago, GetMeOuttaThisMess said:

I have a nephew getting married next month and both he and she are in nursing.  She’s working in his hometown waiting for his graduation from Texas A&M.  They just purchased a 5th wheel to live/travel in when they take on travel assignments.  Sounds like a smart move to me.

That would be fun to do before they have kids.  Nice.

11 hours ago, FiremedicMike said:

From an outsider perspective - why is any of this surprising to you?  I suppose it's possible that your posting history here is simply an online persona to vent your frustrations, but I think it's more likely that you disparage your profession in many aspects of your life. 

I'm guessing your son has heard you complain about the state of PAs for long enough and has no desire to go down that road.

I'm not going to lie FiremedicMike, there is some truth to your post.

• Like 1

One of my SP's daughters just went back to school for 2nd degree direct entry BSN - took her one year - 30K cost.    She is now working in the ICU making 100/hr ( some of it is covid bonus payments).     She is working on her NP completely online while she is working.       I told him that she might be disappointed by the pay scale going from 100/hr ICU to NP but heck - she can do both if she wants.   

If I could afford to take a year off and do this _ I would likely do it.     Just cannot afford the break in a paying job.    If there was a night school or online direct entry BSN for a reasonable cost I would do it also.   

I would also love to do locums from an RV - but they are becoming harder and harder to find as a PA - they mostly want NP's.     

Edited by bobuddy

6 hours ago, bobuddy said:

One of my SP's daughters just went back to school for 2nd degree direct entry BSN - took her one year - 30K cost.    She is now working in the ICU making 100/hr ( some of it is covid bonus payments).     She is working on her NP completely online while she is working.       I told him that she might be disappointed by the pay scale going from 100/hr ICU to NP but heck - she can do both if she wants.   

If I could afford to take a year off and do this _ I would likely do it.     Just cannot afford the break in a paying job.    If there was a night school or online direct entry BSN for a reasonable cost I would do it also.   

I would also love to do locums from an RV - but they are becoming harder and harder to find as a PA - they mostly want NP's.     

Evening/weekend “accelerated BSN” programs are definitely out there, check your local colleges.

8 hours ago, bobuddy said:

Once worked with a peds NP who chose not to work as an NP because he made much more as a bedside nurse (trauma). 

Also have worked with several RNs with only ASN who make 100k+. I think it is great career, just not something I want to do. But if someone wants to do it, I think that's great.

• Like 1

My kid is thinking about speech language pathology at this point. If they wanted medicine, I would point them to MD/DO.

PA is working for me now, but there were a lot of bad and ugly experiences along the way I wouldn't want them to have to deal with.

• Upvote 3

Former paramedic, now a PA-C in residency, looking for jobs for when I finish residency and there are a lot that only will take an NP. Doing central lines, art lines, lumbar punctures, reducing fractures etc it's awesome but my dream job won't hire a PA. One year in wishing I would have gone medic to RN then NP even knowing my knowledge wouldn't be what it is but I could then live where I want to live and work in the setting I'd like to. Already figuring out a backup plan outside of medicine if NP's take over. 

• Sad 1
  • Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, kettle said:

Former paramedic, now a PA-C in residency, looking for jobs for when I finish residency and there are a lot that only will take an NP. Doing central lines, art lines, lumbar punctures, reducing fractures etc it's awesome but my dream job won't hire a PA. One year in wishing I would have gone medic to RN then NP even knowing my knowledge wouldn't be what it is but I could then live where I want to live and work in the setting I'd like to. Already figuring out a backup plan outside of medicine if NP's take over. 

Yep, you are smart.  Plan for it now, NOTHING is showing me that NP's will not totally dominate us in less than 5 years from now.  I have been turned down for 3 jobs in the last month for one reason and one reason only...I am a PA and not an NP.  That is exactly the reason I was given.  

Fantastic plan. Smart kid. 

He'll have a degree and a license, and have learned a trade that will provide him with work and income for the rest of his life. He can do travel nursing which makes a ton of money. Administration, education, informatics, CRNA, CRNP, etc. He can become a PA if he chooses. Or go to medical school. Or do any other graduate education he wishes to pursue. Becoming a RN is a very wise choice, as it affords you almost endless opportunities. 

• Like 1

On 4/7/2021 at 7:16 PM, Cideous said:

I have been turned down for 3 jobs in the last month for one reason and one reason only...I am a PA and not an NP.  That is exactly the reason I was given.  

Just out of curiosity, are you in a state with FPA for NP? Or at least much less restrictions for NP compared to PA? If neither, what do you think the reasoning would be? In my area, they flat out say its the independence issue. 

27 minutes ago, Hope2PA said:

Just out of curiosity, are you in a state with FPA for NP? Or at least much less restrictions for NP compared to PA? If neither, what do you think the reasoning would be? In my area, they flat out say its the independence issue. 

100% NP indépendance issue.  That is the reason I am given each time.

On 4/7/2021 at 5:16 PM, Cideous said:

I have been turned down for 3 jobs in the last month for one reason and one reason only...I am a PA and not an NP.  That is exactly the reason I was given.  

I've been given the same reason before but recently applied to a job that was advertised as "NP only" and landed the job because of my unique work experience. Now making twice as much as my last job. It can work out and I encourage all PAs looking for jobs to apply to those NP jobs. It all comes down to two things....work experience and your ability to connect. Do your best, get good experience, and give them no excuse to deny you that job you want. 

7 hours ago, bike mike said:

I've been given the same reason before but recently applied to a job that was advertised as "NP only" and landed the job because of my unique work experience. Now making twice as much as my last job. It can work out and I encourage all PAs looking for jobs to apply to those NP jobs. It all comes down to two things....work experience and your ability to connect. Do your best, get good experience, and give them no excuse to deny you that job you want. 

Congratulations! Did you accomplish this  in an NP FPA state? How do regulations between PA/NP compare? 
It’s great that your employer hired based on your experience and not title. However, it is not always the case.  A PA  moving back to hometown due to family needs, looking for position in PCP, I discussed resume with office manager. They were extremely impressed, perfect credentials, couldn’t wait to meet with them. Then realized it was a PA. Bottom line, no, we only hire NP because they are independent like physicians. A fairly new grad online NP gets the position, never worked in primary care even as RN.. PA did get a job, over 45 min drive each way instead of the perfect fit in town. 

I am saying this , not for the doom and gloom aspect, rather to encourage PA’s to keep pushing.  

• Sad 1

On 4/6/2021 at 11:08 AM, EMEDPA said:

My kid is thinking about speech language pathology at this point. If they wanted medicine, I would point them to MD/DO.

PA is working for me now, but there were a lot of bad and ugly experiences along the way I wouldn't want them to have to deal with.

100% agree with this sentiment.  My child is much more privileged than I was.  Based on our experiences (me- PA, husband- NP) If he has interest in medicine, he will be encouraged to complete medical school.