My 19 year old kid told me today he was going to get an RN and go from there....

On 4/4/2021 at 5:46 PM, Cideous said:

Told me today he is going for his RN at a local CC and will be doing a duel credit BSN program at the same time so when he is done he has his BSN.  From there he is interested in traveling or possibly management.  We went to Indeed and looked up how much travel nurses were making and SOB....I mean $100k +++.  I had to laugh Because the ENTIRE BSN is about $18k....

He is interested in becoming a psych RN and they simply make bank.  I find it bizarre that me, as a PA, has a son who is going to be an RN.  

All I can think is that we have so many brilliant people as PA's who are hamstrung by our restrictive laws and stupid ass name.  I have been pretty melancholy all day pondering how we got to this point as a profession where I can not recommend it to my own child.  

That's pretty heavy.

I think this is a well thought out and great plan on the part of your son if this is what he truly wants to do and is not only chasing the dollars.  Many years ago my husband was accepted to the same PA program that I completed and ultimately ended up becoming an RN and further an NP.  I was so happy that he ultimately listened to me and changed course.  I thought it was too risky to have us both PAs.  I felt having that RN license provided more varied opportunities.  It was a difficult time 20 years ago finding employment as a new grad at the height of a nursing shortage.  The pay was low and I had some terrible jobs.  I would not chose this course again.  Congrats on having a driven and motivated son... but I do get your frustration.