2019-2020 Cycle

4 minutes ago, PAyyyyy said:

I'm a current student and this has not been my experience at all! We all feel very lucky to attend here. You have lunch with the first years at the interview and it is possible your friend interviewed during a particularly jam-packed time of the year in terms of exams and everyone was very stressed. That's PA school for you!

Also, congrats to all those receiving interviews!

Great! They worried me a bit but I'm really excited! 

2 hours ago, britva0 said:

I just received a rejection email and submitted by supplemental on 8/12/19 so it seems that they are moving quickly. I'm disappointed but not super surprised. Best of luck to everyone that was offered an interview.

GPA: 3.5

sGPA: 3.2

GRE: 317,5

i'm sorry to hear that. best of luck on your other schools though!

may i ask what your PCE hours were? i'm applying to duke with similar stats

On 8/29/2019 at 11:42 AM, biancak said:

Congratulations to those of you who’ve received interview invitations! Would anyone mind sharing when you submitted your supplemental app and your stats? 🙂

CASPA submitted: 6/25

CASPA verified: 6/30

Supplemental submitted: 7/18

Confirmation email: 7/18

BCP GPA: 3.96

Overall GPA: 3.95

PCE: 3300 hours (mostly PCT at hospital, some home health aide and CNA at SNF)

Shadowing: 17 hours

Volunteer: 134 hours

On 8/29/2019 at 5:48 PM, FuturePA55 said:

A friend who was accepted to Duke a couple years ago chose Campbell University (also there in NC) over Duke even though she was accepted because she said that the Duke students she interacted with hat her interview seemed miserable and she has heard they don't have the best reputation as far as being prepared for clinicals. Has anyone heard anything like that from current or former students? Like that it doesn't live up to the hype? Thanks

I am also a current student and I have certainly not seen or heard of this. You will have a chance to talk with first years at your Interviews, we are happy to answer any questions! Good luck to you all!  PA school is going to be tough anywhere you go, Duke has been doing this for a long time and they really know how to do it right. 

Edited by Lizli1

Guest Sk8gr823
20 hours ago, gennyeve said:

I never received a confirmation email from Duke.. The supplemental application says its submitted but I haven't heard anything since. Nothing in the spam folder either😐 Is it okay if supplemental app just says submitted? should I call? anyone else have this issue too?

I would definitely call or send an email. Better safe than sorry!  I submitted by supplemental on 5/28 and received an email from Duke on the same day reading, "The Duke University Physician Assistant Program has received your CASPA, your Supplemental application, and your GRE scores... (etc)". 

... looks like I have survived the first wave of rejection emails... best of luck to everyone! And keep the faith alive if you are still waiting!!!

On 8/29/2019 at 5:48 PM, FuturePA55 said:

A friend who was accepted to Duke a couple years ago chose Campbell University (also there in NC) over Duke even though she was accepted because she said that the Duke students she interacted with hat her interview seemed miserable and she has heard they don't have the best reputation as far as being prepared for clinicals. Has anyone heard anything like that from current or former students? Like that it doesn't live up to the hype? Thanks

Hi! I am a current second year, and this has not been my experience at all! Like someone else said, I feel so lucky to be a Duke student. I am in my second month of clinicals (in primary care), and I am so surprised every day at how prepared I am. There has not been one thing (yet) that has come up that we didn't cover in didactic year. Speaking in terms of interviews though, there may be schools that you interview at where you feel like you don't "belong," and that's okay! It is possible that this was your friend's experience, and Duke may not have been the school from him/her/them. As far as my interview at Duke, I thought the faculty was very, very welcoming. I felt like they actually wanted to get to know me, which I felt was lacking for me at other schools. To be honest, the thought of not getting into Duke after my interview was very tough for me because I felt so strongly that it was where I was meant to be. Again though, everyone's experience is different, and I encourage you to take other's opinions with a grain of salt and go into each interview with an open mind and judge for yourself. I hope that helped clear the air. Please let me know if I can be of help in any way! 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, medlabscientist said:

Hi! I am a current second year, and this has not been my experience at all! Like someone else said, I feel so lucky to be a Duke student. I am in my second month of clinicals (in primary care), and I am so surprised every day at how prepared I am. There has not been one thing (yet) that has come up that we didn't cover in didactic year. Speaking in terms of interviews though, there may be schools that you interview at where you feel like you don't "belong," and that's okay! It is possible that this was your friend's experience, and Duke may not have been the school from him/her/them. As far as my interview at Duke, I thought the faculty was very, very welcoming. I felt like they actually wanted to get to know me, which I felt was lacking for me at other schools. To be honest, the thought of not getting into Duke after my interview was very tough for me because I felt so strongly that it was where I was meant to be. Again though, everyone's experience is different, and I encourage you to take other's opinions with a grain of salt and go into each interview with an open mind and judge for yourself. I hope that helped clear the air. Please let me know if I can be of help in any way! 

That's great! I'm sure it is awesome and I'm really excited to interview and meet all the students! I appreciate your response! 

• Upvote 1

Invited to interview on 10/1

cGPA: 3.53

sGPA: 3.46

HCE: 525 hours

PCE: 1564 hours

Shadowing: 64 hours

Volunteer: 2500+ hours due to Peace Corps service, which is a huge part of why I think I was invited

Duke is a reach school for me, I almost didn't even apply, and I am just happy to be in the room with the other interviewees 😀

Edited by jmarvil
Irrelevant information
  • Upvote 5

Can any of the current students comment on how concerned I should be not to have heard anything yet? Do different reviewers process applications at different rates, maybe? My application, including supplemental, was complete on June 21st. I have interviews so far at Campbell and Emory.

Overall GPA: 3.92
Science GPA: 3.99
GRE: 315
Patient Care Experience: 4600 (Mental Health Counselor) 
Shadowing hours: 55
Volunteering hours: 2300+

Thanks!

• Like 1

On 8/29/2019 at 11:42 AM, biancak said:

Congratulations to those of you who’ve received interview invitations! Would anyone mind sharing when you submitted your supplemental app and your stats? 🙂

Invited for an interview on 9/30!! If anyone would like to meet up the night before, let me know 😄

CASPA 5/15

Supplemental 5/31

BCP 3.3

GRE 312

4+ years experience as an ophthalmic technician

700+ volunteer hours (medical mission, food banks, soup kitchen, etc.)

50+ hours shadowing PAs

And to those still waiting to hear back -- don't give up hope! I was on Duke's interview wait list last year. This year marks my third application cycle and 2nd time applying to Duke. This is the first cycle I have received any interview. Keep up the hard work, everyone. It will pay off!!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, meggwong said:

Invited for an interview on 9/30!! If anyone would like to meet up the night before, let me know 😄

CASPA 5/15

Supplemental 5/31

BCP 3.3

GRE 312

4+ years experience as an ophthalmic technician

700+ volunteer hours (medical mission, food banks, soup kitchen, etc.)

50+ hours shadowing PAs

And to those still waiting to hear back -- don't give up hope! I was on Duke's interview wait list last year. This year marks my third application cycle and 2nd time applying to Duke. This is the first cycle I have received any interview. Keep up the hard work, everyone. It will pay off!!

Congratulations on the invite. Best of luck to you! Appreciate the words of encouragement.