2019-2020 Cycle

Hey everyone, 

Supplemental application question:

Does any one have any advice on what they are looking for in the PCE section under the headings "Agreeable/positive aspects of responsibilities" and "Disagreeable/negative aspects of responsibilities?" Thanks in advance!

5 hours ago, mmaurello said:

Hey everyone, 

Supplemental application question:

Does any one have any advice on what they are looking for in the PCE section under the headings "Agreeable/positive aspects of responsibilities" and "Disagreeable/negative aspects of responsibilities?" Thanks in advance!

I had the same issue filling mine out! For the agreeable/positive aspects I just talked about what I liked about my job - how much I learned, interacting with patients etc. Explaining the disagreeable/negative aspects was tricky since I didn't want to make it seem I was complaining about a responsibility that came with the job/volunteering experience. I just talked about limitations within the experience and left it pretty short.

• Like 2

For the explanation section I think what they want is for you to explain the hours? It wasn't very clear, but because the description is the job description I used the explanation section to explain how I am completing my hours.

For example, for a per diem job the explanation may be, "work as needed or as available." 

For a full time job, maybe describe the amount of hours per pay period. Again, it is hard to say what exactly they want there. If you have more questions just send a quick email to them and maybe ask them to clarify, otherwise maybe it'll let you leave it blank. 

• Like 1

Guest thePAway

Their confirmation email said:

Candidates will be notified about interview decisions beginning in August through late October. Due to the large number of applicants, we ask that you refrain from contacting the Program unless you have not heard from us by December 15.

1 hour ago, thePAway said:

Their confirmation email said:

Candidates will be notified about interview decisions beginning in August through late October. Due to the large number of applicants, we ask that you refrain from contacting the Program unless you have not heard from us by December 15.

Thanks, I think, I didn’t read the email properly.

Guest thePAway
9 hours ago, Saharp said:

Thanks, I think, I didn’t read the email properly.

it could just be a generic email that they used last year so hopefully they start letting people know earlier since they sent the supplementals out earlier!

1 hour ago, BecomingaPA said:

For the Volunteer and Non-Patient Care experience sections, there's a small "Explanation" text box but not a larger text box for description/job duties. Are we still supposed to just write an explanation of the hours there or are we supposed to explain our job duties in that small box? 

I still included my volunteer hours with full explanation on PCE section since I volunteered at the hospital. But, I think, I had enough space to explain my non PCE duties in the provided space.

9 hours ago, Sthapa said:

How did you all enter lab credits for your science courses on the supplemental courses section? My transcript doesn't have a grade or credits for labs (it's just blank). However, the Duke supplemental won't let me save anything unless I enter credit and grade. 

My lab credits were part of the courses I took, I just put the total credits hours for each course with lab.

13 hours ago, Sthapa said:

How did you all enter lab credits for your science courses on the supplemental courses section? My transcript doesn't have a grade or credits for labs (it's just blank). However, the Duke supplemental won't let me save anything unless I enter credit and grade. 

I would suggest putting in "Z" and that will get you pass the system. Then in the very last part, you can always elaborate. 

5 hours ago, hhills said:

Does anyone know if they require a minimum GPA? I have been looking on their website but cannot find anything listed.

Hi. On the school comparison sheet on Duke’s website they state under their GPA requirements that there is no GPA requirement for application. Best of luck!

I do not believe they have set dates for interviews. It seems that they may be doing things a little different this year because supp. apps in the past were not sent out until July. It is hard to tell if they will be interviewing earlier this year or if they plan on keeping the same timeline as previous years.

On the supplemental app under NonPCE, shadowing, and volunteer: What are your thoughts on keeping the "duties" description identical to what you put on CASPA vs expanding/editing? I'm assuming since we have more space on this app that its best to expand, but just want to know what y'all did. This is already such a long supplemental. Thanks!

• Upvote 1