What is the LOWEST risk field of medicine we can actually work in?

10 hours ago, SERENITY NOW said:

I wonder if there are PAs who ever work with the coroner haha

Not as low stress as you might think.  I've been there on scene with ME field agents as well as worked with them and had them mention events while being seen for a medical concern and it isn't easy.  Not much of a need for a PA in the autopsy suite due to presence of physician and diener.

• Administrator
13 hours ago, Cideous said:

^^^  I've read that jobs are drying up in this field (sleep) secondary to the new "take home" tests.  Any thoughts?

Dunno.  Someone has to order the tests and discuss the interpretation; I did that for a sleep center, I now do it as a standalone PA.  The impact and workload isn't that much different.

You're seeing a relative increase in home sleep testing for obstructive sleep apnea, but HSTs aren't useful at all for pretty much any other disorder, which means in-lab polysomnography, and again, someone to do evals and order the tests, as well as to interpret them to the patient.

• Upvote 1

^^^  Thanks, I actually find sleep and disorders associated with it as fascinating.  Something I can not say about any other aspect of medicine anymore.  Perhaps I could find a pseudo residency type job that would train me.  Seems like a nice field to go into in the last part of my career.  I appreciate the tip!

• Like 1

We had a wart clinic in the Air Force that we rotated though (not general derm were you could face or miss a melanoma, but clearly just treating warts). Then we had this pathetic doctor who always wanted to get out of work and put himself in the wart clinic each week. But it was almost mindless work. I'm sure you could freeze too deeply or something, but unlikely.

Primary care for the military....federal position or contractor, pretty much the same job. Some clinics you will see family mebers though. If your seeing only military, 70% of your patient population is young healthy males. Military cannot sue the government so you would have to do something grossly incompetent to get in trouble. 

On 4/14/2019 at 5:23 PM, ventana said:

BOP job where you are just doing intakes or the like... something simple and for the fed in a correctional setting - the facility and the medical director will get sued, but not you....

Im not sure about federal prisons, but working at state prison I can say it is very litigious. I have patients tell me they are going to sue me on a weekly basis for not treating their "nerve pain" with gabapentin, or not treating their hernia because the large corporate office that hires us doesn't approve it. In my short experience here I'd say correctional medicine is the most litigious medical specialty. A reason I am trying to get out of prison med.  

• Upvote 1

Forensic medicine may not be the least stressful but it is extremely interesting and challenging.  I had the opportunity to work in NYC ME dept in 1986 right out of PA school..  I did not take the position offered and don't remember why>  The PA investigators were paid extremely well and there was bucu (sic) OT.  A couple were making close to $200K  (1986)!!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 4 months later...

The words medical practice and stress are pretty symbiotic. 

I don’t think there are any positions that are without stress - just doesn’t exist.

28 yrs in - you just have to pick the type of stress you can handle - corporate medicine, surgical with on call, disease intensity , management or pay/benefits.

what can you leave at work and what keeps you up at night.

What called you to the profession in the first place. 

Not saying I am good at it all the time - but taking stock and checking perspective is a good place to start.

Just my crusty old 2 cents

• Upvote 1