About to blow a gasket: case logs

Guest ral

I am being credentialed at a number of hospitals belonging to a large system.  I will actually be working for an ER group who has the contract to provide services.  Got a note from contract company that said these hospitals want case logs for the past 24 months.  I kindly explained that isn't something that is typically required beyond surgical residents and a few choice others.  Have had it brought up in the past, and my usual response is accepted.  Not this time.  They wrote back and said they require it.  Guess I am out of a job at the end of this month, since I gave my sixty day notice of resignation from my current position at the beginning of December.

Guess I'll start surfing indeed.com.  Maybe get one of those low testosterone clinic gigs, so I can really throw my career into the effing toilet.

Any way to pull our logs from your billing department?  I needed to generate a procedure log a few years ago when applying for a promotion, and at that point hadn't kept track of my procedures.  Our billers were able to give me a list of every LP, arthrocentesis, etc. that had been billed in my name; not perfect, but it might get you enough to finish credentialing.

• Like 1

I really think there should be class action lawsuit against insurance companies over "credentialing." They claim that it is a tool for them to guarantee that the providers taking care of their subscribers are qualified. However, it is the responsibility of each state's  medical board to make sure that the provider is qualified. The insurance companies use it as delay technique that saves them millions in payments. Seriously, I'm not just blowing a gasket, but we need a lawyer who could do that. I sense damage to providers and hospitals is in the billions.

Edited by jmj11
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 4

This happened to me once. I was able to get my old hospital to run a report of all of my patient encounters by age/sex and complaint, and they accepted this. I didn't have procedure logs, but I've never needed procedure logs except for expanded scope stuff (e.g. central lines, etc.). I would definitely start by asking your biller/coder and/or HIM contact if they can pull your case logs for you.

Also, everyone knows credentialing is insanity. Don't get too upset or worry about having a job without talking to the physician/recruiter who hired you first. I can't tell you the number of times HR has asked for some crazy shit and then I got my department head or attending physician to make a phone call and take care of it.

And worst case, contact an attorney. There may be a case where you can sue for lost wages for not telling you of this "undue burden" when they offered you the job.

• Upvote 4

One of the hospital systems that I’m credentialled in want five MRNs I’ve taken care in the last 6 months of for QA. I keep a copy of my rounding sheets and just pick 5. When I trained in the ED, one of the PAs also kept a similar log. At least that gets you back to something that could be ploughed through for future requests.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

while in IR I kept logs, and still have them somewhere...

it might not be a insurance company requesting this, hospitals are now requesting this to prove proficiency.  

JACHO is pushing hospitals to keep/prove proficiency of their providers....

You should be able to contact insurance companies (pick the biggest 3 plus medicare and Medicaid) and request your past 3 years billings for certain codes or something like that - it is you UPIN after all...

56 minutes ago, ventana said:

while in IR I kept logs, and still have them somewhere...

it might not be a insurance company requesting this, hospitals are now requesting this to prove proficiency.  

JACHO is pushing hospitals to keep/prove proficiency of their providers....

You should be able to contact insurance companies (pick the biggest 3 plus medicare and Medicaid) and request your past 3 years billings for certain codes or something like that - it is you UPIN after all...

I have a few 5 star google reviews...I should be good, right?    😉 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, lemurcatta said:

Is this something we should be tracking as a Pa student? Like procedures done? 

Absolutely and your program is doing you a disservice if they haven't given you this advice.

You very well may be asked to provide this to employers especially as a new grad and it can be the difference between getting a job offer or being turned down.  I had several classmates going into ED work asked to provide logs as part of their application/hiring process.

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, lemurcatta said:

Is this something we should be tracking as a Pa student? Like procedures done? 

Yes, absolutely.  I kept track of all bedside procedures and surgical cases as a student, and I still keep track of them.  Don't you have to log this information as a student anyways?

• Upvote 1

I've been through EM credentialing at 2 different hospital chains within the past year.  Both wanted procedure logs.  I got them from the quality department at the hospital I was working at at the time.  As others have said, this is a common request by hospitals.  Your current hospital(s) should be able to run a report fairly easily for you.  I keep scanned copies on my PC so I can email them off as needed.

• 9 months later...

I'm currently in my didactic year. Our program began teaching us Typhon on the first day because they got SO MUCH negative feedback from the previous cohort. Even after using it for a few months, I HATE IT. Its a pain in the caboose. A student from last cohort told me that he and some of his classmates downloaded a third party EMR. They said that program was more user friendly when in the clinic/hospital. On their free time they just copy and pasted everything over to Typhon.  Anyone else have experience with this and if so what programs did you use?

It makes me wonder how we find time to actually care for anyone. Any clerk or petty tyrant anywhere in any process can ask for anything no matter the reason and it gets polished up as "patient safety" or some such nonsense.

I know I went to school in the late 1800s but we didn't log anything. We worked on a rotation with broad guidelines about what we were supposed to cover and then we got an evaluation by a preceptor  or department chief.

I think this is when I'm supposed to shake my cane and say something about too much hoo-ha and flapdoodle over nothing. Nattering nabobs....

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BLM8867 said:

I'm currently in my didactic year. Our program began teaching us Typhon on the first day because they got SO MUCH negative feedback from the previous cohort. Even after using it for a few months, I HATE IT. Its a pain in the caboose. A student from last cohort told me that he and some of his classmates downloaded a third party EMR. They said that program was more user friendly when in the clinic/hospital. On their free time they just copy and pasted everything over to Typhon.  Anyone else have experience with this and if so what programs did you use?

No, we just used Typhon. It's a pain but helps keep a record of everything that you can then send to credentialing offices. I feel like doing it in an EMR first and then copying/pasting is double duty but just do whatever you need to to keep your data accurate for future reference.