Changing the professional title of Physician Assistants (***POLL***)

Changing the Professional Tittle of Physician Assistants (***POLL***)  

520 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think is the BEST title for our profession?

• Physician Assistant (PA)
    • Physician Associate (PA)
    • Medical Practitioner (MP)
    • Advanced Practice Provider (APP)
    • Advanced Medical Practitioner (AMP)
    • Clinical Officer (CO)
    • Clinical Associate (CA)
    • Advanced Provider (AP)
    • Advanced Clinician (AC)
    • Assistant Physician (AP)
    • Associate Physician (AP)
    • PA
    • Other

It would beyond my comprehension that AAPA wouldn't follow through. They have some very forward looking leadership and, so far with just a couple of exceptions, the people who are seeking positions in the upcoming elections are very progressive thinkers for the profession as well. I'll be at the meeting and the HOD. I want to see the outcome.

Guest Paula

I know, Scott.  We have progressive PAs at the helm generally speaking.  I'm unable to attend the HOD and I am a delegate.  Our alternate is taking my place.  I will be waiting with baited breath and will be getting live text updates from the WI team as the discussion happens.

Has anyone considered Practitioner of Allopathy? We'd still be PAs, it would describe well what we do, and it would juxtapose Nurse Practitioner (practitioners of nursing).
I can see the logic in that. But, we'd definitely have to explain that one to patients over and over. Unknowing patients may even confuse it with naturapathy.
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Guest Scott1234
2 hours ago, EMEDPA said:

what about PAs who work with DOs? would they be POs?

Great perspective! The reality is, there doesn't appear to be a name that is without problems, so it seems, instead, that we have to find one that has the fewest problems. My thought is, with Practitioner of Allopathy we still get to be PAs, it accurately describes what we do, and it doesn't suggest a dependent or inferior status. The status of MDs & DOs is well-established with few, from my understanding, upset about the implications of their title. I don't think changing our title necessitates the change of another profession's title even if it would technically make more sense.

I understand that it would require explaining the title if a patient inquires about it (just as it already does), but this title reduces some of the hurdles we currently have with our current title and possible alternatives. Just a thought. 

20 hours ago, BSC7718 said:

Great perspective! The reality is, there doesn't appear to be a name that is without problems, so it seems, instead, that we have to find one that has the fewest problems. My thought is, with Practitioner of Allopathy we still get to be PAs, it accurately describes what we do, and it doesn't suggest a dependent or inferior status. The status of MDs & DOs is well-established with few, from my understanding, upset about the implications of their title. I don't think changing our title necessitates the change of another profession's title even if it would technically make more sense.

I understand that it would require explaining the title if a patient inquires about it (just as it already does), but this title reduces some of the hurdles we currently have with our current title and possible alternatives. Just a thought. 

Why in the world go to a title that the average person still doesn’t understand? To much time wasted explaining, and guaranteed patients wouldn’t remember. I just hope whatever choice, it is pretty easy for patents to realized off the bat the person treating this is a professionally/formally educated provider..Period, not a what are you? What does that word mean... Or when will you be a real Dr.(if Associate the choice).  

Anyone, no matter your chosen specialty, should never cling to Assistant....really, what are they thinking?

Resently talked to scrub nurse, they assist in surgery, but would never call themselves or allow others to call them assistants. How about scrubtechs, the list  goes on.... 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Firm believer in medical practitioner. We practice medicine. Firefighters fight fire. Police police stuff. Truck drivers drive trucks. Pilots pilot things. We medicine stuff.

"Hey there, I'm MediMike, medical practitioner with the pulmonary team"

Straight forward. I'm not a physician so shouldn't have that in my name. I'm not an assistant so probably shouldn't have that in there either. 

And I dread the idea of explaining the word allopathy. Too many syllables.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 9

1 hour ago, MediMike said:

Firm believer in medical practitioner. We practice medicine. Firefighters fight fire. Police police stuff. Truck drivers drive trucks. Pilots pilot things. We medicine stuff.

"Hey there, I'm MediMike, medical practitioner with the pulmonary team"

Straight forward. I'm not a physician so shouldn't have that in my name. I'm not an assistant so probably shouldn't have that in there either. 

And I dread the idea of explaining the word allopathy. Too many syllables.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE FORWARD THIS GUYS POST TO AAPA??????

SIMPLE, TO THE POINT AND 100% ACCURATE.

WE ARE NOT PHYSICIANS AND WE ARE NOT ASSOCIATES.  FFS PEOPLE PLEASE STOP SUPPORTING THAT STUPID ASS NAME THAT LITERALLY HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH US....

• Upvote 3

• 1 month later...

I think the best one would be: 

PP - Physicianlike Practitioner

It also correlates well to our relationship with some doctor organizations...pronounced: Pee-Pee

Or maybe PN - Physicianlike Nonnurse - pronounced Pee-On...

--------

In all seriousness, though, something that includes or reassigns the P.A. initials makes the most sense from a let's-get-real, streetwisestandpoint.  We have spent decades telling people that there is a thing called "PA," and now we have to try to somehow deprogram all those people...changing just the correlating "expanded" version of the initials seems the most logistically and psychologically sensible. I really like "Medical Practitioner"  but telling everyone, every time, "Hi, I'm MP so and so formerly called PA so and so" seems to stretch sensibility.

Edited by quietmedic

On 5/28/2019 at 4:12 PM, quietmedic said:

In all seriousness, though, something that includes or reassigns the P.A. initials makes the most sense from a let's-get-real, streetwisestandpoint.  We have spent decades telling people that there is a thing called "PA," and now we have to try to somehow deprogram all those people...changing just the correlating "expanded" version of the initials seems the most logistically and psychologically sensible. I really like "Medical Practitioner"  but telling everyone, every time, "Hi, I'm MP so and so formerly called PA so and so" seems to stretch sensibility.

When I started in this field, very few patients knew what a PA was.  I would introduce myself, that I was a PA and what that meant.  Hell I still have to do it from time to time.  Point is, it will take about 3-5 years for the general public to embrace "MP".  After that, the PA name will be forgotten and good riddens. Trying to continue with two words that have nothing to do with who we are or what we do simply because we don't want to put in a few years of work re-educating the public is in a word....LAZY.  The work we do now if we change to Medical Practitioners will lay the ground work for generations of PA's that come after us.  It's only because our leaders have been so lazy that we find ourselves in this hole now compared to NP's. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Long time lurker. I joined this forum because of this whole title change situation, and to place my vote for Medical Practitioner.

I realize that it counts for nothing officially, but the power is in a united front. I am disappointed I did not get the AAPA survey even though I am a student member. I am enthused by the latest news to pursue the title change, from the HOD and WPP.

There are numerous threads on this topic spanning many years and many topic titles/sections. With the title change debate as fired up as it is, perhaps a dedicated thread or section for it would be best. Just my humble opinion. Glad to be here.

• Upvote 4

• 3 weeks later...

You guys, I still get asked DAILY what a PA is... so it's not like this is going to be a huge brainwashing scam with our patients.  50% of my patients have no idea what a PA is, so changing to Medical Practitioner won't be mind-boggling and actually might make them understand our role better.

As a matter of fact, until I start talking to my patients about biochemistry and medication interactions or end-organ failure, yada yada yada, most of the patients I see think I'm the physician's billing person, the hospital patient advocate, the social worker, or the nurse.  Very rarely do I walk into a patient room, announce myself as the PA, and the patient remarks with "oh, yes, obviously you are the provider caring for my medical needs today.  please come in and let's talk treatment".  LITERALLY NEVER.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, FuturePAMcStuffins said:

I vote for medical practitioner all the way!!! If nurses who went through an NP program are called nurse practitioners we should be called medical practitioners. NP’s practice the nursing model while we practice the medical model. It makes perfect sense.

If we could legally protect the name Medical Practitioner, I think that is the way to go. It is loud and clear, can't get any easier than this name. 

• Upvote 3

• 5 months later...

Does anybody know the 4 options that were voted on during the survey? I currently got accepted to PA school and will be starting this summer and I'm obviously interested. 

P.S. I know the vote doesn't count as of now, I just would like to know what the AAPA might be going with. 

Edited by LuckyStripes1234

I'm sorry but these are not necessarily good reasons to simply throw out the most popular choice:

"All three of these are perfect examples of titles that were eliminated in the review process either due to significant issues identified in legal review or by the fact that they are overly broad and already in use by employers."

Laws can be changed.  Legal issues can be overcome.  And who cares if an employer is already using a title.  My hospital calls both PAs and NPs Advanced Practitioners APs.  So that title is out now?  Which is probably my second choice.  1 Medical Practitioner 2 Advanced Practitioner 3 Physician Associate

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, sillycibin said:

I'm sorry but these are not necessarily good reasons to simply throw out the most popular choice:

"All three of these are perfect examples of titles that were eliminated in the review process either due to significant issues identified in legal review or by the fact that they are overly broad and already in use by employers."

Laws can be changed.  Legal issues can be overcome.  And who cares if an employer is already using a title.  My hospital calls both PAs and NPs Advanced Practitioners APs.  So that title is out now?  Which is probably my second choice.  1 Medical Practitioner 2 Advanced Practitioner 3 Physician Associate

"Significant issues identified in legal review." Part of that million dollars the AAPA is spending on this investigation is going to a reputable law firm to identify whether or not a given title option could be legally protected. If the title can't be legally protected from use by non-PAs, or is already being used to include non-PAs, then it's non-viable as a new title for the profession. That's a pretty good reason to throw it out.

To be clear, I am firmly in the Medical Practitioner camp, I think it's the best title identified so far, and would love if it could be the new title for the PA profession. But I also understand that it's quite broad and technically includes other professions as well (like physicians), so it likely can't be legally protected for that reason, meaning we can't use it. I wish there was a way around that, but we kind of have to trust that this law firm we're throwing handfuls of cash at knows what they're doing. 

Also, WPP & the law firm aren't choosing the title for us -- they were hired to identify the best potential options based on branding and viability from a legal standpoint. They are simply collecting and synthesizing data to present to the AAPA, where a final decision (hopefully by vote) can be made.

For now I'm just trusting the process, and awaiting May to find out the results of the investigation. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1