Changing the professional title of Physician Assistants (***POLL***)

Changing the Professional Tittle of Physician Assistants (***POLL***)  

520 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think is the BEST title for our profession?

• Physician Assistant (PA)
    • Physician Associate (PA)
    • Medical Practitioner (MP)
    • Advanced Practice Provider (APP)
    • Advanced Medical Practitioner (AMP)
    • Clinical Officer (CO)
    • Clinical Associate (CA)
    • Advanced Provider (AP)
    • Advanced Clinician (AC)
    • Assistant Physician (AP)
    • Associate Physician (AP)
    • PA
    • Other

1 minute ago, Dichotomy said:

PAcali, 

I don't think the argument here is that of US vs Them. My direct partner at work is a NP and we get along just fine. I personally have equal respect for NPs, it is an achievement worth rewarding after all. The reality is that while PA/NP do the same things,... etc, we definitely have different training and background. Those of us who work directly with NP can testify of this to a certain extend. What we are trying to achieve here is to be recognized by our true identity, not as "an assistant" (very misleading)  but rather  as practitioner (which makes perfect sense), in this case Medical Practitioner. I sort of look at it as the MD/DO deal: Equal respect (... should be anyways), sort of different/modified pathways to the equal doctorate degree, but each practicing the same medicine.

basically,

Physician Assistant = subservience

Medical practitioner = collaboration

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

So if the name changes does occur. What would that mean for those that graduate as PAs. Do we get grandfathered in? Do we keep our PA titles? Do we get honorary degrees that allow us to be MP/GP/APPS/ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ? 

Or is this unknown as well? 

51 minutes ago, SR0525 said:

So if the name changes does occur. What would that mean for those that graduate as PAs. Do we get grandfathered in? Do we keep our PA titles? Do we get honorary degrees that allow us to be MP/GP/APPS/ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ? 

Or is this unknown as well? 

Degree stays the same, just like those who have a physician associate degree still list that. Everyone’s title changes as legislation is changed in their state. Well known as it is the same process when we removed the ‘s

• Like 3

On 5/17/2018 at 9:35 AM, corpsman89 said:

Well, I can't say I am surprised, but I am a bit disappointed that Physician Associate is starting to take the lead. 

To me it's an improvement, no doubt; but it's such a weak improvement.

-We would go through so much money, and so much hard work just to swap out a coupe letters in the name. 

-We still would have physician in our name, but we are NOT physicians,  Continuing to have physician is our name implies that we do not have our own unique path, and we are tied to physicians. 

-I fear that this will be such a small change that no one will notice, (probably the intention of people who are for Physician Associate), and the benefits of increased media coverage, people talking about it, and an overall discussion about WHO and WHAT we are will not occur with such a weak change. 

----------------

The way I see it, we might as well go big or go home. 

I would like to know the demographics of those who voted for Physician Associate. 

I was a die heart Physician Associate supporter back in 2010 when the name change movement first started. 

After 7 years of practice, dealing with patients, dealing with administrators, general public perception, talking about the profession with foreigners, and after given a lot of thoughts, I realized the name Physician Associate has many issues. 

We need a simple and clear title, such as Medical Practitioner. 

Edited by PACali
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I’ll believe that a name change will take place when I see it. We talk about it, but we don’t do anything. Our lobby is terrible, and, yes, we aren’t even on the boat.

A colleague and I were discussing Physician Associate and she brought up the point that it sounds like “an associates degree.” Agreed. Sometimes I have to explain that PAs are not medical assistants. This does little to nothing to further our cause. She isn’t completely on board with a name change because she feels that most patients are recognizing what a PA is now. I disagree. We have a long way to go.

I just just had to fight for a job in a family practice and sell myself as equivalent to an NP to be considered. I did get the job, but not before she had to look up the state statutes to make sure that the doctor didn’t have to co-sign my charts.

I don’t know what the right name is. I just believe it should change, and I think we need to do a better job marketing what we are.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, hlj25950 said:

I’ll believe that a name change will take place when I see it. We talk about it, but we don’t do anything. Our lobby is terrible, and, yes, we aren’t even on the boat.

A colleague and I were discussing Physician Associate and she brought up the point that it sounds like “an associates degree.” Agreed. Sometimes I have to explain that PAs are not medical assistants. This does little to nothing to further our cause. She isn’t completely on board with a name change because she feels that most patients are recognizing what a PA is now. I disagree. We have a long way to go.

I know there is a lot of skepticism about a title change actually going through, especially among the old-timers or those who have been PAs for awhile. And rightfully so -- it's been debated for many years, and has been shot down each time it makes it to the HOD.

However, I think once enough PAs are in agreement that a change needs to occur AND are vocal about it, then it will happen. The recent AAPA elections showed that it is an issue important to many, and the elected leadership are in favor of a name change, which is an important step. 

I think we are nearing critical mass on this issue, but it will still take PAs  convincing their colleagues and contacting representatives at their state boards and the AAPA. I do think we are closer than we have ever been though, and that is encouraging. 

1 hour ago, ProSpectre said:

I know there is a lot of skepticism about a title change actually going through, especially among the old-timers or those who have been PAs for awhile. And rightfully so -- it's been debated for many years, and has been shot down each time it makes it to the HOD.

However, I think once enough PAs are in agreement that a change needs to occur AND are vocal about it, then it will happen. The recent AAPA elections showed that it is an issue important to many, and the elected leadership are in favor of a name change, which is an important step. 

I think we are nearing critical mass on this issue, but it will still take PAs  convincing their colleagues and contacting representatives at their state boards and the AAPA. I do think we are closer than we have ever been though, and that is encouraging. 

I also believe that if a title change (or approval of this resolution) were to pass AAPA would see a lot more activity in their membership status and I believe more PAs (both new and experienced) would be more excited and engaged in promoting PAs (or whatever our name), calling their legislatures/delegates, voting, and donation toward the AAPA PAC. 

We just need that first domino to fall, and I believe title change is that first domino. 

25 minutes ago, corpsman89 said:

I also believe that if a title change (or approval of this resolution) were to pass AAPA would see a lot more activity in their membership status and I believe more PAs (both new and experienced) would be more excited and engaged in promoting PAs (or whatever our name), calling their legislatures/delegates, voting, and donation toward the AAPA PAC. 

We just need that first domino to fall, and I believe title change is that first domino. 

Totally agree. I believe that once the name change happens, there will be many more strides in the right direction. I feel that some PAs need something to excite them again, and this will be the eventual trigger will that takes place. 

I think that this is the year that things will actually get moving too. I have a good feeling that our governing body is committed to making active changes. I have been a PA for 10 years and this seems to be the most talk that has happened from what I have noticed. 

I know this doesn't really pertain to the current discussion but I did a google trends search and compared Physician Assistants to Nurse Practitioners. Here is what I found: 

PAs are blue, NPs are Red

image.thumb.png.498b3ecae4235467bd267c66a45dcee2.png

As you can see searches for NPs have gone up a good amount since about 2011, and that number has dropped for PAs in the same time. 

This could be due to a multitude of things including Nurses searching for NP programs to apply to, patients having more interest in searching for NPs, and other reasons. 

I just thought it was interesting and a bit concerning.

I imagine getting a name change would spark mass media coverage and major interest and this increasing our coverage and broadcast in today's day and age. 

Edited by corpsman89
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2

10 hours ago, kidpresentable said:

Are we sure the Ruskies aren’t meddling with this poll?

Sounds reasonable! Guess I'm bored, but went through all posts, and although poll indicates 43 to 40% in favor of Physician Associate over Medical Practitioner, 83% of those who actually commented on either Physician Associate or Medical Practioner were in favor of Medical Practioner. Physician Associate appears to be easy/lazy way out. Those that favor Associate should at least take the time to explain how/why it would be better, unless their argument is only that it would be an easier path. That's just sad!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hope2PA said:

Sounds reasonable! Guess I'm bored, but went through all posts, and although poll indicates 43 to 40% in favor of Physician Associate over Medical Practitioner, 83% of those who actually commented on either Physician Associate or Medical Practioner were in favor of Medical Practioner. Physician Associate appears to be easy/lazy way out. Those that favor Associate should at least take the time to explain how/why it would be better, unless their argument is only that it would be an easier path. That's just sad!

Even though I am in strong favor of Medical Practitioner, I will, for a moment, try to think of the advantages of Physician Associate since it seems none of it's advocates will defend it. 

1) PAs are more or less familiar with the title. For a while it has been sort of the go-to title change option and people (PAs, but not the public or other health professions) are used to it. 

2) It has the perception of being a cheaper fix. Less time, energy, and money will be spent making these changes. Its just a couple letters

3) It can fly under the radar. 

-------------How's that?

My biggest concern with Physician Associate is that it doesn't shake things up. I think one of the biggest advantages of Medical Practitioner is that it will cause a major onslaught of social medial posts, articles, media coverage, conversations in the work place, etc. about this issue. There really hasn't been a time when an entire profession changed their title completely, and I think the outcome will be a major positive for us. 

I think this is a major fear for advocates of Physician Associates. They very likely believe that shaking things up with be a negative thing for PAs. Well, I can tell you that PAs have been in the shadow for a long time and (if you scroll up to the google trends graph) it's only getting worse. We need to get out there and shake things up!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

might not be a popular opinion but-

the janitors at my hospital are called "environmental service associates" or something of the sort. We all know they still clean toilets, wipe floors and restock paper towels. The patients know they do this too. While I think a name change is definitely warranted, do we all really think that it's the most pressing issue facing PA's today? 

Chicken or the egg... will changing a name garner respect? or will earning respect (as a lobby not just as individual providers) eventually manifest in a name change? I don't know the answer but I have a hard time seeing that simply legislating a initial change from PA to MP (or whatever) will have the ripple effects we are all hoping to see

Edited by boli

21 minutes ago, boli said:

the janitors at my hospital are called "environmental service associates" or something of the sort. We all know they still clean toilets, wipe floors and restock paper towels. The patients know they do this too. While I think a name change is definitely warranted, do we all really think that it's the most pressing issue facing PA's today? 

Chicken or the egg... will changing a name garner respect? or will earning respect (as a lobby not just as individual providers) eventually manifest in a name change? I don't know the answer but I have a hard time believing that simply legislating a initial change from PA to MP (or whatever) will have the ripple effects we are all hoping to see

A title/name change alone won't make a huge change for the profession. But a change in the professional title is essential for OTP to gain momentum among legislators, which means it will indirectly facilitate many of the changes PAs are advocating for. Lawmakers have already raised issue with PA organizations advocating for OTP due to the "assistant" portion of the title (comments have been made by PAs that witnessed this first hand on the Huddle). Lobbyists and lawmakers acting against PAs can use the "assistant" portion of our title against us. Until we change that, the larger changes that really will create a better practice environment for PAs are unlikely to occur. 

How we market ourselves is important, and having "assistant" in our title is poor branding for our profession. This needs to change. 

Edited by ProSpectre
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Is Mittman for "Medical Practitioner?" I remember about 8 years ago he did an interview or some podcast like thing where he was Gung ho for "Physician Associate" and I'm wondering now he's the incoming AAPA Prez, would he push for that or for "Medical Practitioner."

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, Joelseff said:

Is Mittman for "Medical Practitioner?" I remember about 8 years ago he did an interview or some podcast like thing where he was Gung ho for "Physician Associate" and I'm wondering now he's the incoming AAPA Prez, would he push for that or for "Medical Practitioner."

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Technically Jonathan Sobel will be the next AAPA president (also in much favor of title change) and his term takes place on 7/1/2018 - 06/30/2019. 

After that date, then David Mittman will take place as President of AAPA on 7/1/2019 - 6/30/2020. 

My hope is that once Sobel steps in, we will hopefully begin to see movement towards advancement. 

• Like 2

Well I'll be in the bleachers at the HOD here shortly. I can't parse their agenda to guess when title change and the states trying to modify OTP language will come up...they meet for 3 days...but I'll try to post an update.

Anyone in NOLA who wants to say hi PAFT has a membership meeting and meet and greet today or shoot me a message. I'll try to watch for them. I'd give my cell phone # but dark forces are watching for me.... ?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

23 hours ago, sas5814 said:

Well I'll be in the bleachers at the HOD here shortly. I can't parse their agenda to guess when title change and the states trying to modify OTP language will come up...they meet for 3 days...but I'll try to post an update.

Anyone in NOLA who wants to say hi PAFT has a membership meeting and meet and greet today or shoot me a message. I'll try to watch for them. I'd give my cell phone # but dark forces are watching for me.... ?

Where are we with this vote? Do we know when it is occurring? 

I listened to the testimony which was strongly in favor of hiring the outside consultant to determine the best choice for title change. The voting will take place in the morning (Monday 21 May). The voting begins at 8AM central on all resolutions and should be completed by noon. I suspect earlier.

The 2 main things PAFT is watching is title change and some suggested change to OTP language.

I'll try to post an update when I can

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

The voting is taking place this morning and title change is on the agenda but no CO has asked to have it pulled for amendment and the reference committee has recommended it be adopted. Unless it gets voted down, which I think is very unlikely. It will pass later this morning 

• Like 1