2020 Yale Online Application Cycle

1 hour ago, TatianaE said:

I'm in the same boat; tomorrow will mark exactly 2 weeks since my second interview, and every minute feels like an hour.  I am trying to stay positive, but like @ScullyAMA stated, I'm sure a lot of applicants do not use the forum.  If I hear anything tomorrow, I'll keep everyone posted.  Fingers crossed for good news!  

Yes, good luck to both you @TatianaE and @WayneGoldmoor!

Those that have interviewed already...is anyone able to speak to the amount of time dedicated for interviews? Do they ever run longer than the 30 minutes scheduled? I have to step out of work for my interviews next week and want to make sure I plan accordingly. If this is along the lines of “Not to be discussed” I totally understand! 

10 hours ago, VicBH said:

Those that have interviewed already...is anyone able to speak to the amount of time dedicated for interviews? Do they ever run longer than the 30 minutes scheduled? I have to step out of work for my interviews next week and want to make sure I plan accordingly. If this is along the lines of “Not to be discussed” I totally understand! 

They schedule 30 minutes each for the interviews. Some people have reported they went over by a few minutes other were shorter. I would plan for 15 minutes at least on each side of the interview to keep from appearing rushed. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jamierah said:

They schedule 30 minutes each for the interviews. Some people have reported they went over by a few minutes other were shorter. I would plan for 15 minutes at least on each side of the interview to keep from appearing rushed. 

Thank you! I wasn’t sure if they cut off right at 30 minutes, or if there was potential for longer. So this is helpful! 

Just going to post a pic of my dog for all of those waiting and constantly checking the forum for any updates! 🤗I’m home with my kiddo doing virtual learning and I’m so ready for him to go back to school next week 😂😂 Not even ashamed to say it!

Hopefully those of you waiting for an answer from this interview round will get some good news this week. In the meantime, hang in there!! 

F44BF04F-B92E-4C65-BE6B-4BBD4199F9F4.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Upvote 2

17 hours ago, VicBH said:

both of mine went longer as well!

• Like 1

Hi everyone!! I've been pretty quiet on here, but have been so thankful for everyone's input!!! It's so helpful! We are all in this together!!

So, my application has been "under review" for about 12 weeks, and now I'm starting to freak. Has anyone else been "under review" this long? I finally called, and they said that some applications just take longer. 

20 hours ago, VicBH said:

One was exactly 30 mins my other was only 15 minutes!! 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, KRand said:

Hi everyone!! I've been pretty quiet on here, but have been so thankful for everyone's input!!! It's so helpful! We are all in this together!!

So, my application has been "under review" for about 12 weeks, and now I'm starting to freak. Has anyone else been "under review" this long? I finally called, and they said that some applications just take longer. 

At this point, I’d say it’s not over until it’s over. If you havent hear back it means that you haven’t been rejected either! That’s how I’d look at it. 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, asma09 said:

Got my rejection today. I wonder why tho

GPA 3.9, sGPA 4.0, PCE ~1100-1700 as an MA and Healthcare Coordinator (depending on if you count the second), Volunteer 100+, HCE 500+, teaching experience, board member of an FQHC, and I had my personal statement reviewed by myparesource. 

Any thoughts? 

That's been a burning question for those that were rejected without interview. Unfortunately, only generic feedback is given. I'm not sure how you could enhance your application, however I'm sure there are many other schools that would offer you an interview without question. Its an awful feeling to be rejected without reason. Its obvious you've worked very hard, we all have! It will pay off, just keep your head up! And keep applying!💖

Edited by YCrossPA
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, asma09 said:

GPA 3.9, sGPA 4.0, PCE ~1100-1700 as an MA and Healthcare Coordinator (depending on if you count the second), Volunteer 100+, HCE 500+, teaching experience, board member of an FQHC, and I had my personal statement reviewed by myparesource. 

Any thoughts? 

Yeah I had similar stats in terms of GPA but with a lot more PCE, HCE, and volunteer hours, so I’m assuming they base their decisions more on how we answered their questions? Oh well, I have a few interviews scheduled for other schools so I’m not too bummed about this. Good luck on the rest of your applications! And if anything, we will always reapply next year 🙂

• Like 1

2 hours ago, asma09 said:

Any thoughts? 

well this is terrifying

• Like 2

10 hours ago, asma09 said:

That's where I thought I'd be weak, so I had my supplemental looked over my thePaPlatform and by another writing service. I work alot with community health for refugees and immigrants, so I had stuff to say.

Idk, oh well indeed

Thank you and good luck to you too! (hopefully we won't have to reapply~) 

Maybe this will help... I don’t know what your situation is, but I’d look at the answer to your question of “why online learning”. The majority of us (actually almost every single one of us with the exception of one or two) that have been admitted all have very similar stats to yours but with over five years or more experience in healthcare being the average (there are some with less) and a lot of us have 8+ years. We are also older. I was told the average age they admit is 31. All of us have reasons why we can’t really attend a traditional PA school. We have kids and can’t relocate. We move every few years because we are in military families. We have extenuating family circumstances. Etc. I have also noticed that a lot of my classmates (myself included) had to fight and struggle to get where we are at. We definitely didn’t take the traditional route to get here. 

For example, I gave birth to my second child in the middle of finishing prerequisites, while my husband was deployed. I would breastfeed my baby by holding him in one arm and I’d be simultaneously scribbling down notes from my online classes with the other while my toddler ran around the room. The day I took the GRE I was on the phone with my husband when the call got dropped because his base was bombed. I didn’t know if he was alive or if my kids had a father anymore. I took the GRE with that question looming over my head and I still scored a 325. You’d better believe that I made damn sure Yale knew that. This is just one example and doesn’t even begin to hit the tip of the iceberg. I communicated everything I could to Yale.

For me, Yale was THE ONLY CHANCE I had of going to PA school. I made sure they understood why I needed to apply to their school. 

I can’t speak for admissions because I’m not affiliated with them, but if I was in their shoes, I would not be giving my spots to people who have great stats but have copious opportunities to go anywhere. I’d be giving them to people like my classmates: great stats, tons of experience, good test scores, that magical “x factor” Ivy League schools look for, and demonstrated need for online learning. In other words, people who are good enough but haven’t had the opportunity and deserve a chance. That’s just my two cents though. 

• Like 10

8 minutes ago, Kikime06 said:

Maybe this will help... I don’t know what your situation is, but I’d look at the answer to your question of “why online learning”. The majority of us (actually almost every single one of us with the exception of one or two) that have been admitted all have very similar stats to yours but with over five years or more experience in healthcare being the average (there are some with less) and a lot of us have 8+ years. We are also older. I was told the average age they admit is 31. All of us have reasons why we can’t really attend a traditional PA school. We have kids and can’t relocate. We move every few years because we are in military families. We have extenuating family circumstances. Etc. I have also noticed that a lot of my classmates (myself included) had to fight and struggle to get where we are at. We definitely didn’t take the traditional route to get here. 

For example, I gave birth to my second child in the middle of finishing prerequisites, while my husband was deployed. I would breastfeed my baby by holding him in one arm and I’d be simultaneously scribbling down notes from my online classes with the other while my toddler ran around the room. The day I took the GRE I was on the phone with my husband when the call got dropped because his base was bombed. I didn’t know if he was alive or if my kids had a father anymore. I took the GRE with that question looming over my head and I still scored a 325. You’d better believe that I made damn sure Yale knew that. This is just one example and doesn’t even begin to hit the tip of the iceberg. I communicated everything I could to Yale.

For me, Yale was THE ONLY CHANCE I had of going to PA school. I made sure they understood why I needed to apply to their school. 

I can’t speak for admissions because I’m not affiliated with them, but if I was in their shoes, I would not be giving my spots to people who have great stats but have copious opportunities to go anywhere. I’d be giving them to people like my classmates: great stats, tons of experience, good test scores, that magical “x factor” Ivy League schools look for, and demonstrated need for online learning. In other words, people who are good enough but haven’t had the opportunity and deserve a chance. That’s just my two cents though. 

well this is encouraging!

• Like 1

i should elaborate that my particular situation is more like Kikeme06’s

I suppose if I’m going to start posting, I should introduce myself. I have read all 90 pages of the thread, but i didnt want to post unless i really had something to add - and i dont know that i really have anything to add lol!  —other than to say i have found this thread to be fun to follow, i feel like the PA profession is in a good place with applicants like i read about in this thread, and overall this thread generally makes me feel good

i was a military brat growing up but an more or less from Nebraska.  family of 5 now, we moved next door to Colorado about 5 years ago. i was going to apply to PA school 5 years ago but when we had the surprise of a new kiddo on the way, we decided to put this off until the new baby entered kindergarten (this year).  this was the right decision for us and our priorities. i knew it would wind up making me ineligible for many programs which have a time-limit on prerequisites. BUT im also a better candidate now, this Yale program was created, and maybe in the end it works out better than it ever would have

im only applying to 3 schools. Yale is the only one that works well and is by far my #1 choice (the #2 school is good and i think i can make it work; the #3 is also a good school but i may have to turn it down even if im accepted due to, well, logistics)

anyway, i ramble. really i just wanted to not make it weird that ive posted without introducing myself or telling you all what a great thread this is

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, Ambrose said:

i should elaborate that my particular situation is more like Kikeme06’s

I suppose if I’m going to start posting, I should introduce myself. I have read all 90 pages of the thread, but i didnt want to post unless i really had something to add - and i dont know that i really have anything to add lol!  —other than to say i have found this thread to be fun to follow, i feel like the PA profession is in a good place with applicants like i read about in this thread, and overall this thread generally makes me feel good

i was a military brat growing up but an more or less from Nebraska.  family of 5 now, we moved next door to Colorado about 5 years ago. i was going to apply to PA school 5 years ago but when we had the surprise of a new kiddo on the way, we decided to put this off until the new baby entered kindergarten (this year).  this was the right decision for us and our priorities. i knew it would wind up making me ineligible for many programs which have a time-limit on prerequisites. BUT im also a better candidate now, this Yale program was created, and maybe in the end it works out better than it ever would have

im only applying to 3 schools. Yale is the only one that works well and is by far my #1 choice (the #2 school is good and i think i can make it work; the #3 is also a good school but i may have to turn it down even if im accepted due to, well, logistics)

anyway, i ramble. really i just wanted to not make it weird that ive posted without introducing myself or telling you all what a great thread this is

I relate so much to what you just said. I hope you get in ❤️