2020 Yale Online Application Cycle

4 hours ago, bxy17 said:

@emilymuff by the way, how is it you've been studying for it? I'm not sure how many hours I should be devoting to it daily despite some research indicating that one should prepare for 6-8 weeks

I honestly haven't been "studying" for it. I have been watching YouTube videos to learn how the questions are formatted as well as learning how to format my questions. To be honest, I am somewhat skeptical about CASPer, because it is supposed to examine how we would react to certain scenarios, but yet we can study for it haha. I wish we knew how much the exam was weighed, though I do not believe it is a "make or break" factor, unless you are a sociopath or show absolutely no empathy. 

I think I am just going to practice typing at a faster pace and take the practice exam. I believe my time is better spent working on my essays and the rest of my application. This is the only program I am applying to 😕 so I want to make sure that is all squared away. 

How is the application going for you? Your PS?

@emilymuff I think there's been some benefit to practicing with what content you'd respond for what type of questions. As a scribe, I've noticed typing fast isn't as beneficial as knowing how to answer the prompts with the content they seem to prefer, per alleged Youtube CASper experts, online practice samples and BeMo's CASper prep book. But of course, typing fast definitely helps!

As far as my personal statements, I know I've definitely reviewed it over at least 100 times since its  conception last year, but I've reached a stump despite multiple professionals looking over it. I may consider having one of the online PA PS websites to review.

10 hours ago, bxy17 said:

@emilymuff I think there's been some benefit to practicing with what content you'd respond for what type of questions. As a scribe, I've noticed typing fast isn't as beneficial as knowing how to answer the prompts with the content they seem to prefer, per alleged Youtube CASper experts, online practice samples and BeMo's CASper prep book. But of course, typing fast definitely helps!

As far as my personal statements, I know I've definitely reviewed it over at least 100 times since its  conception last year, but I've reached a stump despite multiple professionals looking over it. I may consider having one of the online PA PS websites to review.

I agree with you absolutely, I think there is a lot of benefit to practicing your responses, if anything, know how to format your questions.

I feel ya on the PS, I’ve gotten to the point to where I am second guessing it, which isn’t a good thing haha my conclusion needs some work though 

15 hours ago, bxy17 said:

Do you know the supplemental essay questions? Yale had them posted to their supplemental application on their site, but this year they completely transitioned to CASPA, and I am not able to login anymore to view them. I know I can wait until they post them on April 30th, when CASPA opens, but wanted to start working on them any one has them. 

Edited by C89Garcia
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, C89Garcia said:

Do you know the supplemental essay questions? Yale had them posted to their supplemental application on their site, but this year they completely transitioned to CASPA, and I am not able to login anymore to view them. I know I can wait until they post them on April 30th, when CASPA opens, but wanted to start working on them any one has them. 

You're right, they did have the essays on their site, and I actually called admissions to ask if they are able to tell us what the essay prompts are, but the woman I spoke to said that they are subject to change until CASPA opens. I know they have reduced some of their requirements this year, such as no GRE or no genetics, and in response to COVID, they also reduced their LOR requirements.

4 hours ago, Audmichelle said:

What is CASPer? Also, what are yalls stats applying to this online program? Have y’all heard from any previous students of pros and cons of the online program?

Here is a link to the CASPer website, it does a much better job at explaining it than me haha https://takecasper.com/about-casper/ Yale online requires it. I'm not sure if you listen to ThePAPlatform podcast, but the host did an interview with one of the Yale Online students and she explains a lot of the pros and cons. 

Even though I've done it in the past, I always feel weird posting my stats because we all know that the admissions committee considers so many other things besides the numbers. I am sure you already know that there are people who have gotten accepted with 4.0 GPA and those who have gotten accepted with much lower. 

Edited by emilymuff

Does anyone else think that it's weird that a lot of the requirements have changed? I applied for this school in 2018, but couldn't move forward because I found out I was pregnant and decided to focus on family. Now I'm ready to try again and I feel like everything has changed. No GRE? Now CASPA?  And on top of everything else that is required we have to take this 90 min exam, that there isn't much info about? Anyone else feeling like the rug is being pulled out from under you? 🙂

1 hour ago, Como7 said:

Does anyone else think that it's weird that a lot of the requirements have changed? I applied for this school in 2018, but couldn't move forward because I found out I was pregnant and decided to focus on family. Now I'm ready to try again and I feel like everything has changed. No GRE? Now CASPA?  And on top of everything else that is required we have to take this 90 min exam, that there isn't much info about? Anyone else feeling like the rug is being pulled out from under you? 🙂

20 minutes ago, Audmichelle said:

I read that there is no specific score for GRE but that you still have to have it to apply? Or did i read it wrong? 

I agree, there has been a lot of changes since the program first started, but I think it is to our benefit. We now only are required to submit 2 LOR, but 3 is recommended. 

Regarding GRE, because it is not required, we do not have to submit our score. That is my understanding.  

• Like 1

Thank you all. I was debating on retaking my GRE to bring my score up some and now I'm not sure what to do. Any of you in the same spot? I wish I knew how much things were really weighted I'm sure like everyone else 🙂 

Anyone read how long we should study for this CASPer exam?

Hello all, 

I was just looking into Yale's online program a bit more and I think I will be applying this cycle!

As for CASPer, I see that their website "recommends" it. I would guess this is a very strong recommendation, and that not taking it would likely be a disadvantage. What do you all think?

I took CASPer last year for a couple of schools (This will be my 2nd time applying in general). I don't really think it is something you can study for. It is a situational exam, simply to see how you would react to different scenarios between coworkers, patients, bosses, etc. Sure, you can go through scenarios and try to think of potential answers, but that could potentially turn into hoping you have the "correct" responses rather than genuine responses. Plus, you could focus too much on preparing for certain scenarios that may not even come up. Then you're left surprised on a timed test, which is never a good thing. Plus what @Jlnisbettsaid is very true. There are no right or wrong answers. 

No one asked, but those are my 2 cents. Lol  😁

I am eager to get this application process going! I have been making finishing touches to my personal statement the past few days, hoping to submit applications asap. 

6 hours ago, bsulli15 said:

Hello all, 

I was just looking into Yale's online program a bit more and I think I will be applying this cycle!

As for CASPer, I see that their website "recommends" it. I would guess this is a very strong recommendation, and that not taking it would likely be a disadvantage. What do you all think?

I took CASPer last year for a couple of schools (This will be my 2nd time applying in general). I don't really think it is something you can study for. It is a situational exam, simply to see how you would react to different scenarios between coworkers, patients, bosses, etc. Sure, you can go through scenarios and try to think of potential answers, but that could potentially turn into hoping you have the "correct" responses rather than genuine responses. Plus, you could focus too much on preparing for certain scenarios that may not even come up. Then you're left surprised on a timed test, which is never a good thing. Plus what @Jlnisbettsaid is very true. There are no right or wrong answers. 

No one asked, but those are my 2 cents. Lol  😁

I am eager to get this application process going! I have been making finishing touches to my personal statement the past few days, hoping to submit applications asap. 

Thanks for the input! I agree that a recommend is a probably closer to "required" in my mind haha which is why I decided to write the COVID essay...I wasn't going to at first. I am sure something about this pandemic will be brought up in an interview, which makes me somewhat nervous. Though like you, I am really eager for this cycle to start, even though it might be a lot of "hurry up and waiting", that is okay with me.

10 hours ago, alimac23 said:

how did you register for it without a CASPA id? I was under the assumption that we can't make a CASPA account until April 30.

You’re right, you do need a CASPA ID and CASPA does open on the 30th. However, you can make an account before it opens, in which you will receive an ID. CASPA opening means you can begin submitting applications. Prior to that, you can enter some info and just get familiar with the site. 
However, idk if you can make a new account right now...it might be that odd window where you can’t...though I’m not sure 

• Like 1

I’m applying this cycle and this is the only program I can apply to (no school local to us and my husband’s job is not mobile). It makes me nervous to put all my eggs in one basket but this program looks incredible. 

I have signed up for CASPer on May 7th and am a little nervous purely because I have never taken a test like this before but I agree that it seems pretty hard to study for.

So today is opening day for CASPA. Anyone having any problems signing in? I am about to try to create an account and get started with the process. 
Another question- does anyone have any recommendations for PA shadowing? I’m finding it very hard to do this while there is a pandemic going on. Any suggestions? 
TIA 😊