The Official CORONAVIRUS oh *&^! thread. Time to start stocking up on food?

2 hours ago, MediMike said:

Well... someone has supposedly stolen a couple of our CAPRs. As well as the stand at the hospital entrance with masks, gloves and hand sanitizer.

Plus these dang gowns are too short, I've now got COVID all over my wrists.

hospital should have processes in place to ensure the security of PPE...pretty ridiculous that CAPRs were able to be stolen.

Using non n95 masks, scarfs or bandannas and thinking they are going to do anything to protect you from this virus is like going to war with air soft guns when the enemy has M16's.  Give me a break.  

I hate to say it, but it's going to take 5 or 6 providers and nurses dying ...be flashed all over the news and then threats of a medical strike before this administration nationalizes a few companies and starts moving heaven and earth to protect what's left us us.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Cideous said:

I hate to say it, but it's going to take 5 or 6 providers and nurses dying ...be flashed all over the news and then threats of a medical strike before this administration nationalizes a few companies and starts moving heaven and earth to protect what's left us us.

Sounds like they're retooling as fast as they can, but there's going to be a lag, probably for a few more weeks to months, before we get ahead of this.

Of course, by the time you have a few dead HCPs, we're going to have a few hundred infected.

I am in full geek mode with way too much time to read crap.

So, I googled what makes N95s so special and how they are made.

Turns out HEPA filters won't help much - tried to figure out if making a face mask out of a HEPA filter was a viable option. NO way to test it though...

I cut the juicy bits out of this article below from NPR. I never knew how masks were made....

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2020/03/16/814929294/covid-19-has-caused-a-shortage-of-face-masks-but-theyre-surprisingly-hard-to-mak

COVID-19 Has Caused A Shortage Of Face Masks. But They're Surprisingly Hard To Make

March 16, 20202:23 PM ET

EMILY FENG

AMY CHENG 

Partial excerpts -- 

Currently, of the 200 million masks China makes a day, only 600,000 are N95 standard masks, used by medical personnel, according to the National Development and Reform Commission, a state planning body. Provincial regulators have granted dozens of new licenses to open additional factories capable of producing top-grade masks, including those that meet the standards for use by health-care professionals. 

But this ambitious effort has run into a bottleneck.

Both the masks made for medical personnel and for consumer purchase require a once-obscure material called melt-blown fabric. It's an extremely fine mesh of synthetic polymer fibers that forms the critical inner filtration layer of a mask, allowing the wearer to breath while reducing the inflow of possible infectious particles.

"We're talking about fibers where one filament has a diameter of less than one micron, so we are in the nano area," said Markus Müller, the sales director at German company Reicofil, a major provider of melt-blown machine lines.

And there's now a global shortage of melt-blown fabric due to the increased demand for masks — and the difficulty in producing this material.

Costing upward of 3.8 million euros ($4.23 million) apiece, the machine that creates this fabric melts down plastic material and blows it out in strands, like cotton candy, into flat sheets of melt-blown fabric for face masks and other filtration products. A similar line of machines can create a related kind of fabric, called spun-bond fabric, also used in face masks and in medical protection suits worn by health-care workers.

The machines are not easy to make because of the exacting precision required, says Müller: "You need to stretch these fibers by hot air, and [the air] needs to be in perfect condition over the width of the machine. The biggest dilemma is that many of the machines are not producing consistent quality."

……

Chinese firms make nearly three million tons of nonwoven fabric a year, according to the China Nonwoven and Industrial Textiles Association, a state industry body. Less than 1% of that is melt-blown fabric.

=========================================================================================

Then the info about HEPA filters:

https://thewirecutter.com/blog/can-hepa-air-purifiers-capture-coronavirus/

• Upvote 1

Just had a patient in my UC with clear coronavirus consistent symptoms (I know that doesn't mean an absolute positive).  We still have to get authorization from the state to test.  First time I called they denied the PUI #.  I called back to confirm because it just didn't make sense...they gave me a PUI because I "gave new information" and told me the outpatient lab to have the test sent for testing. I told them nothing new.  I had to call my hospital to courier over a swab so we could do the test because the hospital won't allow the clinics to have the swabs "in stock."  Then because the courier questioned where he was supposed to take the sample I called my lab director, who then called the state to confirm...now the sample is to be sent to the state for testing.

This process took a total of 5.5 HOURS!!!

I give up...how in the world is the process that convoluted at this point?  Living it now it is obvious how much my employer (the hospital) and the state have failed beyond belief.

• Like 2

Just had a patient in my UC with clear coronavirus consistent symptoms (I know that doesn't mean an absolute positive).  We still have to get authorization from the state to test.  First time I called they denied the PUI #.  I called back to confirm because it just didn't make sense...they gave me a PUI because I "gave new information" and told me the outpatient lab to have the test sent for testing. I told them nothing new.  I had to call my hospital to courier over a swab so we could do the test because the hospital won't allow the clinics to have the swabs "in stock."  Then because the courier questioned where he was supposed to take the sample I called my lab director, who then called the state to confirm...now the sample is to be sent to the state for testing.
I give up...how in the world is the process that convoluted at this point?  Living it now it is obvious how much my employer (the hospital) and the state have failed beyond belief.
That is ridiculously long and tough! Very worrisome how we still have to jump through loops to just get someone tested!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, mgriffiths said:

the guidance we have been given is ONLY to test patients who are sick enough to be admitted. This makes sense as there is no change in tx. I might make exceptions for someone with a spouse with cancer, HIV, on chemo, etc

8 minutes ago, EMEDPA said:

the guidance we have been given is ONLY to test patients who are sick enough to be admitted. This makes sense as there is no change in tx. I might make exceptions for someone with a spouse with cancer, HIV, on chemo, etc

and if that is the decision that is fine...but it shouldn't take 5.5 hours for the process to occur for the decision to be made.  The point is that we should expect patient's to arrive with symptoms consistent with the coronavirus, therefore the processes to determine testing, where to send samples, etc. should be well defined after this has been going on for weeks.

• Like 2

We have a drive through screening set up in the Fairgrounds parking lot stating you DO need a prescription or referral to get tested. Not sure what criteria they are using or where they are getting the tests.  Unfortunately lots are showing up with no referral. Max 2 people per car, 280 cars in a day.

Our county is about ½ million people. 

We have the swabs and reagents at work but sent out - about 3 days to results. One of my patients tested negative last week - haven’t seen her in months myself - went to UC. 

Another patient with really tough health problems STILL went to Vegas last week and now has classic symptoms and will likely end up admitted.

Exhausted. Time for folks to STOP DOING STUPID THINGS. STAY THE HELL HOME.

Edited by Reality Check 2
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I don’t envy the mods’ job with regulating political posts since it is practically impossible to separate politics from public health policy, especially during a pandemic. The frustration is understandable as the lack of preparation (or proper response, depending on your perspective) has and will result in healthcare professionals and patients being hurt or killed. 

I’m afraid bitching about it here won’t get anything done, unfortunately. 

• Like 1

So, if Pence just said he would get tested and the news just said he is negative - did he get the new 45 min test the FDA just approved from Cepheid, Dr David Persing, that said they would ship the tests next week?

How many tests did they make, how much $$, does it require PCR verification?

Who gets these tests?

What is the current US capacity to test?

Inquiring minds want to know.....

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Reality Check 2 said:

So, if Pence just said he would get tested and the news just said he is negative - did he get the new 45 min test the FDA just approved from Cepheid, Dr David Persing, that said they would ship the tests next week?

How many tests did they make, how much $$, does it require PCR verification?

Who gets these tests?

What is the current US capacity to test?

Inquiring minds want to know.....

I am guessing if you are the VP the CDC runs that test first. 

• Upvote 1