The Official CORONAVIRUS oh *&^! thread. Time to start stocking up on food?

3 hours ago, rev ronin said:

This is what the big deal is--not just the raw mortality.  Even pneumonia is usually better in a month or six weeks.

We had a guy get it.. he did have some comorbidities, but he was off work for 3 months.. 

Interesting side note on him..  He worked for several days with a cough thinking it was just allergies.. close contact with coworkers, sleeping in the bunk room, etc..

No one else at work caught it..

The top positive tests in my county are ages 20-29 - my kids' ages...............

WSU is in Pullman WA in Whitman County and now is 6th in the nation for rising number of cases because young adults are having parties at college - college that is virtual. Super, just super.

My county has had several deaths under age 50 - most quite bizarre and unexpected.

Many folks are spot on clinically COVID infected but test negative - several times. We still tell them to isolate and try to keep them comfortable.

The term NOVEL has gone with little discussion lately - we have NEVER seen this strand in humans before and we don't know how to accurately test or monitor.  The ART of medicine is to try to do no harm and keep people safe. 

The general population has no respect for this idea - we are supposed to have Star Trek Tricorders and fix everything - in a 30 minute TV show setting. 

When one person can infect 50 others or more unknowingly and of those 50 - perhaps 3 die - yep, this is NOVEL.

So, the best we can do:

WEAR A DAMN MASK

Stay apart from others - do not gather

Stay home if sick

Don't be an asshat to everyone else

Vote by mail

Continue science and screw politics - we need time to find answers

Don't ever forget that science is real

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure if this has been brought up but I'm curious to what everyone's opinion is... We all know, especially up here in the Northeast, that this winter is going to suck, simply as Flu coincides with people moving indoors due to colder weather, and covid cases will naturally rise for the same reason/s. The ED's will be flooded with parents bringing their kids in for covid tests cause they "coughed twice yesterday" etc and it will be difficult to distinguish btw covid and flu, especially if our rapid flu test is about 50/50.   I can deal with all this, I get paid to deal with all this, and I have dealt with all this since March 1st. However, my concern is this.... What happens when we have a vaccine, or multiple vaccines out at some point next year (2021 seems more realistic based on what I'm reading unfortunately) and some states remain super strict as far as what can open and what remains closed, while other states open right up again. I feel like so many people, and honestly this includes myself, have been hanging their hats on the notion that the vaccine will allow life to return to normal, or some resemblance of normal. I worry that if a vaccine is out and treatment is available in some or any form, and people are still told they can't get back to "normal" people are really going to throw in the towel and say F* it.   I'm burnt out but I'm not saying I'm done fighting, I just don't think we can all live like this for, say another year (making it a total of 19 months since this started. And I'm not sure that we need to. I don't know, I'm just tired and can't wait to be able to smile at a 5 year old who is terrified with a big lac on their face that I'm about to repair knowing there is an acutal  person behind the mask

• Like 1

Not sure if this has been brought up but I'm curious to what everyone's opinion is... We all know, especially up here in the Northeast, that this winter is going to suck, simply as Flu coincides with people moving indoors due to colder weather, and covid cases will naturally rise for the same reason/s. The ED's will be flooded with parents bringing their kids in for covid tests cause they "coughed twice yesterday" etc and it will be difficult to distinguish btw covid and flu, especially if our rapid flu test is about 50/50.   I can deal with all this, I get paid to deal with all this, and I have dealt with all this since March 1st. However, my concern is this.... What happens when we have a vaccine, or multiple vaccines out at some point next year (2021 seems more realistic based on what I'm reading unfortunately) and some states remain super strict as far as what can open and what remains closed, while other states open right up again. I feel like so many people, and honestly this includes myself, have been hanging their hats on the notion that the vaccine will allow life to return to normal, or some resemblance of normal. I worry that if a vaccine is out and treatment is available in some or any form, and people are still told they can't get back to "normal" people are really going to throw in the towel and say F* it.   I'm burnt out but I'm not saying I'm done fighting, I just don't think we can all live like this for, say another year (making it a total of 19 months since this started. And I'm not sure that we need to. I don't know, I'm just tired and can't wait to be able to smile at a 5 year old who is terrified with a big lac on their face that I'm about to repair knowing there is an acutal  person behind the mask
I feel the same way... Hang in there!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I really thought this did  good job of summarizing where we are this week:
https://zdoggmd.com/jay-bhattacharya/
I listened to that when it came out. I think (at least I hope so) we all as clinicians, when we question the status quo with a health issue, it shouldn't be met as a challenge to a political or personal more, rather a scientific objection or even curiosity about a topic or aspect of it. I think Bhattacharya represents that well and he was even villified by BOTH sides of the COVID issue. Fauci caught similar flak but mostly from the one side.
I find these days people are on hair triggers when it comes to what they have made up their minds to, be it from personal anecdotal experience or from a moral/political stance and when any challenge is brought up against the stance, people react emotionally vs logically, and with a goal to "win a debate" vs teaching/learning. Not saying anyone should not defend their position but to keep an open mind to have open dialogue... That idea of open dialogue has been missing lately when it comes to COVID and pretty much everything else in our nation.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3