The Official CORONAVIRUS oh *&^! thread. Time to start stocking up on food?

OK, now that we've had some time to garner some information on this, I'd like to know what the pneumonia sources are?  Viral, opportunistic bacterial such as we see with influenza predominantly, or are the majority of pulmonary distress cases ARDS/sepsis related?  I haven't seen anything on the pneumonia characteristics associated with this.  I've noted the acute cardiomyopathy changes.  I'm seeing more and more mentioned locally about younger adults w/o comorbid conditions in intensive care settings.

On a side note, I'm wondering more and more about how many walking well there are that would in fact test positive if screened (brought up previously in an epidemiological note)?  You have those who are "positive" yet are asx., or have minimal sx.  I'm wondering about the positive predictive value of these tests.  A lot of these folks are sounding like influenza vaccination type reactions to the virus; either simulating the no symptoms post flu vaccination or that sensation that we tell people about that they may feel like they're getting sick but don't in fact get there.

When folks are talking about the mortality rate with CV-19 it's interesting to see the relative versus absolute death rates, especially in comparison to influenza.  It'll be interesting to see if it does prove to be more life-threatening absolutely compared to influenza once it runs its course.

I'd like to see IgG/IgM titers on those who test positive as well (wishful thinking).  At this point I don't think that we have any idea how long a PCR will stay positive after an acute illness.  Rapid strep screens will test positive for up to two weeks per Quintel.

Edited by GetMeOuttaThisMess
  • Upvote 2

9 hours ago, cbrsmurf said:

Testing is still incredibly limited where I am. If you are outpatient, got almost no chance of getting tested. 

What’s it like in your guys’ neighborhoods. 

No option for outpatient testing but limited testing available for inpatient testing of those who meet very specific criteria. 

1 hour ago, Sed said:

No option for outpatient testing but limited testing available for inpatient testing of those who meet very specific criteria. 

ditto. In other sad news shaved off my beard for better PPE fit. Now I look 12. When you see my beard shadow coming back it means we will not have six more weeks of Covid-19 (Groundhog day reference for those who did not catch it).

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I finally got an N95 that fits today. Passed the bitrix test.  Hopefully won't need it - no face to face contacts at this point.

Someone raided our coffers and we are missing equipment - sad, people acting so rashly.

I am finally on phone visits 99%. We can't get video hooked up fast enough or computers programmed fast enough.

Sorry about your beard, EMEDPA. 

My husband works for the school district and isn't at work at all - no idea when he will go back. Kids are out until April 24.

Grocery stores look like the zombie apocalypse. 

Information is confusing and often conflicting and everyone decides whose guidance they will follow - WHO, CDC, make it up on their own...... 

Still trying to work from home................ that will take some sort of papal decree evidently.

For you guys on the front line in ER/UC - be safe, bless all of you!

18 minutes ago, Reality Check 2 said:

I finally got an N95 that fits today. Passed the bitrix test.  Hopefully won't need it - no face to face contacts at this point.

Someone raided our coffers and we are missing equipment - sad, people acting so rashly.

I am finally on phone visits 99%. We can't get video hooked up fast enough or computers programmed fast enough.

Sorry about your beard, EMEDPA. 

My husband works for the school district and isn't at work at all - no idea when he will go back. Kids are out until April 24.

Grocery stores look like the zombie apocalypse. 

Information is confusing and often conflicting and everyone decides whose guidance they will follow - WHO, CDC, make it up on their own...... 

Still trying to work from home................ that will take some sort of papal decree evidently.

For you guys on the front line in ER/UC - be safe, bless all of you!

My old ISD clinic is shut down, so says one of the forum members.  Case in point from my earlier post this morning; Dallas Morning News reporting a death in Collin County, Texas where a 64 y/o was found post-mortem to have had evidence of COVID-19.  Was death/COVID-19 interaction causation or association?  Important delineations need to be made.  99.9% of the population would say "of course it caused the death" but do we know that as fact?  I'm not trying to downplay the disease but we need to be accurate with our statements, and more important, the phrasing of statements.

Frankly, I suspect the answer to my question is how do we know?

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, weezianna said:

Has anyone got an email from a staffing company recruiting NPs/PAs/RNs for emergency staffing in NYC?  Company called Krucial, promising overnight credentialing and $13K/week.

I got one from a firm in California.

Edited by Cideous

Listing on Indeed.com in N. Texas for IS Solutions (home office in FL and in business since '12) to perform similar role.  No mention as to pay.  7 days/week, nights/days.  If that's the pay, not a bad gig for 2-4 weeks.  It'd pay for another Hawaii trip!

We are urgently looking for Physician Assistant's that are available ASAP for an Emergency Response Team performing COVID-19 screenings.

Shifts: 12-hour or 8-hour shifts (day/evening/night shifts available)

Length of Contract: Temporary, variable timeline. Weeks to months depending on the support needed

The Physician Assistant (PA-C) is responsible for providing nursing services for medical units for rapid assistance in support of emergency and disaster efforts.

Qualifications: 

• Graduated from an accredited Nursing school.  (HUH?)
  • Active and unrestricted TX PA-C State License and the ability to be favorably credentialed.
  • 2 years of experience as a PA
  • BLS certification.
  • Must be able to multi-task, be detail-oriented, be organized and have excellent verbal and communication skills
  • Proficiency with computer and common office equipment, as well as with MS Office products required.
  • Must be able to multi-task, be detail-oriented, organized, and demonstrate excellent oral and written communication skills.
  • Location of services may at times be in remote, austere or challenging environments.
  • Valid driver’s license with a clean driving record.
  • Must be able to perform duties in a stressful and high paced environment without physical limitations.
  • Ability to adapt to sudden changes and flexibility in work requirements to include potential shift changes based on operational needs and/or command priorities.

Duties and Responsibilities: 

• Provides medical services at the scope and level of a Physician Assistant to preserve the health of employees and client personnel
  • Systematically assesses the urgent or emergent health needs of patients, analyzes data, and formulates a plan of care, with other members of the medical team, which is realistic in relation to the employee’s capabilities and job requirements.
  • Recognizes and treats illnesses and injuries according to established operating instructions within the scope of licensure and regulations of state employment or practice.
  • Records and maintains patient information in accordance with standard protocols, and the Privacy Act.
  • Identifies and records the signs and symptoms of physical and mental conditions.
  • Thoroughly exercises skill in initiative, judgment, problem-solving and decision-making daily.
  • Makes independent judgments and prioritizes workload.
  • Demonstrates proven success in stressful environments.
  • Pursues professional development activities and continuing education to ensure currency with present practices and trends in healthcare and specifically in the practice of emergency medical treatment.
  • Monitors reconciliation of financial transactions and ensures contract charges are applied uniformly.
  • Protects patients' privacy through confidentiality, infection control procedures, assuring consistent medication administration, and assuring proper storage and maintenance procedures for all equipment and supplies.
  • Other duties and projects as assigned.

Job Types: Temporary, Contract

Experience:

• PA-C: 2 years (Required)

• Dallas, TX (Required)

License:

• BLS (Required)
  • TX PA-C (Required)

Contract Length:

• 2 months or less

Work Location:

• One location

Benefits:

• None

Schedule:

• Monday to Friday
  • Weekends required
  • Day shift
  • Night shift
  • 8 hour shift
  • 12 hour shift
  • Overnight shift

Here's the email:

THIS IS BRIAN CLEARY, CEO HERE AT KRUCIAL. THE TIME HAS COME TO DEPLOY AT INCREDIBLY HIGH PAY RATES. THIS IS A LONG TEXT, READ IT ALL. WE ARE DEPLOYING NP,PA,RN'S ONLY TO NYC. MID-LEVELS WILL GROSS 13K PER WEEK, RN'S 10K PER WEEK GROSS. RN BASE RATE IS 95/HR. NP/PA IS 125/HR. OUR PAY WEEK IS SATURDAY TO FRIDAY. YOU WILL HAVE A PRIVATE ROOM AT THE NEW YORKER HOTEL. WE WILL PAY YOUR TRAVEL. WE DO NOT PAY FOR CHECKED BAGS OR PARKING. YOU WILL ALSO GET 76/DAY FOR MEALS.. YOU WILL WORK 14-21 DAYS IN A ROW, REST FOR 1-2 DAYS THEN ANOTHER 14-21 DAYS. SHIFT IS NOT GUARANTEED. PPE WILL BE PROVIDED FOR YOU WHEREVER YOU WORK. YOU WILL EITHER BE AT A REGULAR HOSPITAL, FIELD HOSPITAL OR MOBILE TESTING SITE. YOU MUST BE ABLE TO TRAVEL TODAY OR TOMORROW, NLT FRIDAY. FIRST SHIFT IS FRIDAY. WE WILL HAVE SHIFT LEADS AND ONSITE CORPORATE STAFF THERE TO ASSIST YOU. ONCE WE GET YOUR DEMOGRAPHIC INFORMATION OVER THE PHONE, A MEMBER OF THE TRAVEL TEAM WILL CALL YOU WITHIN 4 HOURS TO BOOK YOUR TRAVEL. ANSWER YOUR PHONE AND BE PATIENT. FLEXIBILITY IS KEY. EMERGENCY STAFFING IS NOT FOR EVERYONE. AGAIN, WE NEED TO GET ON AND THEN OFF THE PHONE WITH YOU AND GET LOTS OF STAFF MOVING. WE WILL DO CREDENTIALS VIA DOCUSING AND IN NYC. DO NOT HAVE OTHER CLINICAL STAFF CALL US EXCEPT RN'S AND PA/NPS. WHEN YOU CALL IN PLEASE CALL IN ON THIS SPECIAL NUMBER 913-802-2777.

1FOR CONFIRMATION THAT YOU CAN DEPLOY TO NYC TODAY, TOMORROW OR FRIDAY. PRESS

2FOR COMFIRMATION THAT YOU CANT DEPLOY BEFORE FRIDAY, BUT CAN DEPLOY AFTER FRIDAY. PRESS

3FOR CONFIRMATION THAT YOU DO NOT WANT TO DEPLOY TO NYC

If you need further assistance, call or text Krucial Staffing at: +19135218802

To update your profile, please click here.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, EMEDPA said:

ditto. In other sad news shaved off my beard for better PPE fit. Now I look 12. When you see my beard shadow coming back it means we will not have six more weeks of Covid-19 (Groundhog day reference for those who did not catch it).

Holding out until the last minute before my next shift, but I'll be saying goodbye to my beard this week as well; wish I could just sell them on giving me a PAPR instead...

This makes so much more sense now. Intriguing articles on how the FDA and CDC dropped the ball with testing kits vs the efficient South Koreans.  

The administration of President Donald Trump was tripped up by government rules and conventions, former officials and public health experts say. Instead of drafting the private sector early on to develop tests, as South Korea did, U.S. health officials relied, as is customary, on test kits prepared by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, some of which proved faulty.”.”

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-testing-specialrep/special-report-how-korea-trounced-u-s-in-race-to-test-people-for-coronavirus-idUSKBN2153BW

“The federal agency shunned the World Health Organization test guidelines used by other countries and set out to create a more complicated test of its own that could identify a range of similar viruses. But when it was sent to labs across the country in the first week of February, it didn’t work as expected.

https://www.propublica.org/article/cdc-coronavirus-covid-19-test?fbclid=IwAR1dU1byszUyly8k5w65ImHB8E6sM_D-ohZu9DHiIhqlQ10I8rcOpmImdS4

TLDR: The US and Korea were originally headed in the same trajectory with test kit production and testing produced by the private sector. US complicated by bureaucracy and FDA/CDC red tape.  Korea with swift lenient regulatory approval. US failed ambition with SARS1/COVID19/MERS test kit.

Conclusion: At the end of this, The FDA and CDC will need to be held accountable. 

In other news... testing out a PAPR tomorrow! 

This makes so much more sense now. Intriguing articles on how the FDA and CDC dropped the ball with testing kits vs the efficient South Koreans.  
“The administration of President Donald Trump was tripped up by government rules and conventions, former officials and public health experts say. Instead of drafting the private sector early on to develop tests, as South Korea did, U.S. health officials relied, as is customary, on test kits prepared by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, some of which proved faulty.”.”
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-testing-specialrep/special-report-how-korea-trounced-u-s-in-race-to-test-people-for-coronavirus-idUSKBN2153BW
“The federal agency shunned the World Health Organization test guidelines used by other countries and set out to create a more complicated test of its own that could identify a range of similar viruses. But when it was sent to labs across the country in the first week of February, it didn’t work as expected.
https://www.propublica.org/article/cdc-coronavirus-covid-19-test?fbclid=IwAR1dU1byszUyly8k5w65ImHB8E6sM_D-ohZu9DHiIhqlQ10I8rcOpmImdS4
TLDR: The US and Korea were originally headed in the same trajectory with test kit production and testing produced by the private sector. US complicated by bureaucracy and FDA/CDC red tape.  Korea with swift lenient regulatory approval. US failed ambition with SARS1/COVID19/MERS test kit.
Conclusion: At the end of this, The FDA and CDC will need to be held accountable. 

In other news... testing out a PAPR tomorrow! 
From my understanding the initial test sucked and had a 50% false negative rate that was being researched at the time. The one the US developed is a 26% false negative rate which still sucks. Therefore we are still quarantining pretty much anybody for 14 days with simple mild URI sx all the way up to fever, severe cough, SOB.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

11 hours ago, weezianna said:

Here's the email:

THIS IS BRIAN CLEARY, CEO HERE AT KRUCIAL. THE TIME HAS COME TO DEPLOY AT INCREDIBLY HIGH PAY RATES. THIS IS A LONG TEXT, READ IT ALL. WE ARE DEPLOYING NP,PA,RN'S ONLY TO NYC. MID-LEVELS WILL GROSS 13K PER WEEK, RN'S 10K PER WEEK GROSS. RN BASE RATE IS 95/HR. NP/PA IS 125/HR. OUR PAY WEEK IS SATURDAY TO FRIDAY. YOU WILL HAVE A PRIVATE ROOM AT THE NEW YORKER HOTEL. WE WILL PAY YOUR TRAVEL. WE DO NOT PAY FOR CHECKED BAGS OR PARKING. YOU WILL ALSO GET 76/DAY FOR MEALS.. YOU WILL WORK 14-21 DAYS IN A ROW, REST FOR 1-2 DAYS THEN ANOTHER 14-21 DAYS. SHIFT IS NOT GUARANTEED. PPE WILL BE PROVIDED FOR YOU WHEREVER YOU WORK. YOU WILL EITHER BE AT A REGULAR HOSPITAL, FIELD HOSPITAL OR MOBILE TESTING SITE. YOU MUST BE ABLE TO TRAVEL TODAY OR TOMORROW, NLT FRIDAY. FIRST SHIFT IS FRIDAY. WE WILL HAVE SHIFT LEADS AND ONSITE CORPORATE STAFF THERE TO ASSIST YOU. ONCE WE GET YOUR DEMOGRAPHIC INFORMATION OVER THE PHONE, A MEMBER OF THE TRAVEL TEAM WILL CALL YOU WITHIN 4 HOURS TO BOOK YOUR TRAVEL. ANSWER YOUR PHONE AND BE PATIENT. FLEXIBILITY IS KEY. EMERGENCY STAFFING IS NOT FOR EVERYONE. AGAIN, WE NEED TO GET ON AND THEN OFF THE PHONE WITH YOU AND GET LOTS OF STAFF MOVING. WE WILL DO CREDENTIALS VIA DOCUSING AND IN NYC. DO NOT HAVE OTHER CLINICAL STAFF CALL US EXCEPT RN'S AND PA/NPS. WHEN YOU CALL IN PLEASE CALL IN ON THIS SPECIAL NUMBER 913-802-2777.

1FOR CONFIRMATION THAT YOU CAN DEPLOY TO NYC TODAY, TOMORROW OR FRIDAY. PRESS

2FOR COMFIRMATION THAT YOU CANT DEPLOY BEFORE FRIDAY, BUT CAN DEPLOY AFTER FRIDAY. PRESS

3FOR CONFIRMATION THAT YOU DO NOT WANT TO DEPLOY TO NYC

If you need further assistance, call or text Krucial Staffing at: +19135218802

To update your profile, please click here.

This is a straight up scam. Someone should report this to NYC/Fed authorities.

There is no way this is legitimate at this stage. I would be 100% shocked if this were real. The FEDs don't even pay that much for FED problems. You think the state is paying enough for those margins??? Let us take all of your identifying info over the phone..... ummm RED FLAG.

3 hours ago, deltawave said:

BEWARE OF SCAMMERS.

During times of crisis criminals go the extra mile, as do the heroes.

Vet anything that sounds too good to be true.

Especially with the potential of the feds sending out checks.  So many gullible people will get drawn into a scam and lose out on their stimulus money...unfortunately my wife is one of those people so we had a conversation last night about just hanging up and contact me.

So the CDC just loosened the restriction on working if a healthcare provider is exposed... according to them, if we are exposed we can continue to work as long as we wear a mask. If masks are gone then a....ready for this... bandanna or scarf can be used... we really need more masks... 

Stay safe folks..