The Official CORONAVIRUS oh *&^! thread. Time to start stocking up on food?

6 hours ago, PickleRick said:

Just so I know I have this straight, Cideous can diss the current president's handling of the corona situation but, I cannot mention any goofs by a previous administration without my posts being deleted?  Gotcha.  My best to all now and in the future.  Mods, please delete my profile.

Was he moderated and censured while others were not? If that’s the case, there is a real problem here. 

Edited by deltawave

15 minutes ago, rev ronin said:

I just got off a plane; I don't know who did what, but we'll discuss amongst ourselves to make sure we're being consistent.

Thank you. Indeed there were posts re: “if you like your doctor you can keep your doctor” vs “if you want a test you can get a test,” along with the follow up discussion. 

I trust you can see things others cannot once deleted, but his was deleted by someone. I also trust you will handle it. I hope that pickle rick returns. ( I never thought I would say those words).

Edited by deltawave

Thank you. Indeed there were posts re: “if you like your doctor you can keep your doctor” vs “if you want a test you can get a test,” along with the follow up discussion. 

I trust you can see things others cannot once deleted, but his was deleted by someone. I also trust you will handle it. I hope that pickle rick returns. ( I never thought I would say those words).
I see mine up there still, it was just re-phrased different to show all recent Presidemts stick their feet in their mouths talking about a subject they have no clue about. Trump should be letting Dr. Fauci give the entire press Q&A. Or how Trump calls him..."Tony". Lol.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

9 hours ago, PickleRick said:

Just so I know I have this straight, Cideous can diss the current president's handling of the corona situation but, I cannot mention any goofs by a previous administration without my posts being deleted?  Gotcha.  My best to all now and in the future.  Mods, please delete my profile.

Personally, I think this is Calvin Coolidge's fault. Why is nobody bringing this up?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Those of us in Texas are about to be ok.  The gov has allowed nurses with expired/retired licenses to return to the workforce.  I still have a valid license and yet I suspect that I would still have to jump through hoops to assist.  I know that there is an emergency exception in the state for natural disasters but since we're not important I've seen no mention of same, nor have I heard from our state organization.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, GetMeOuttaThisMess said:

Those of us in Texas are about to be ok.  The gov has allowed nurses with expired/retired licenses to return to the workforce.  I still have a valid license and yet I suspect that I would still have to jump through hoops to assist.  I know that there is an emergency exception in the state for natural disasters but since we're not important I've seen no mention of same, nor have I heard from our state organization.

Stay retired.  It's a shit show out here brother.

Edited by Cideous
  • Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Senator Rand Paul has tested positive. He was in the Senate gym this morning before learning of his confirmed diagnosis, and has since quarantined. He is asymptomatic according to reports.

I wonder how long this takes to go through the entire Senate given the long incubation period.

I can't recall a crisis in recent history that has actually affected the leaders of the nation the same as it did the commoners.

Edited by deltawave

6 minutes ago, deltawave said:

Senator Rand Paul has tested positive. He was in the Senate gym this morning before learning of his confirmed diagnosis, and has since quarantined. He is asymptomatic according to reports.

I wonder how long this takes to go through the entire Senate given the long incubation period.

I can't recall a crisis in recent history that has actually affected the leaders of the nation the same as it did the commoners.

Rand Paul has spent the last few days sitting 2 feet from a host of other Republican senators, most of which are 70+ in age.  They were hashing out the stimulus bill.

All joking aside, this has the potential to wipe out the Republican senate conference, or if the numbers are correct.....15-20% of them.

1 hour ago, deltawave said:

Well, some of us "commoners" have more common sense and have taken steps to prevent unknown spread of this virus. Our "leadership" is doing a crap job of demonstrating safety and common sense. 

McConnell DENIED the multiple requests to have Congress visit virtually. 

We, as a country, are doomed if those in our government cannot even pay attention to this issue - I don't care what party they belong to. 

1 hour ago, Reality Check 2 said:

Well, some of us "commoners" have more common sense and have taken steps to prevent unknown spread of this virus. Our "leadership" is doing a crap job of demonstrating safety and common sense. 

McConnell DENIED the multiple requests to have Congress visit virtually. 

We, as a country, are doomed if those in our government cannot even pay attention to this issue - I don't care what party they belong to. 

I was going to go the route that when they need medical care, they should get it from PAs 😉

Perhaps then they can see what PAs are capable of and can work on some legislation to reflect that.

Edited by deltawave

26 minutes ago, Mayamom said:

Why was Rand tested if no symptoms??  So he quarantines for 2 weeks leaves his home develops a cold then what?  Why are we testing people with no symptoms???  Nightmare.  

From what I read, he was tested (along with the majority of congress) because of his extensive travel history.  Not saying he should have or should not have been tested, just trying to answer the question.

Got an email this morning from a SP at my last position asking if I'd be interested in signing up for "if needed inpatient assistance" with their network?  I looked at the email and responded that I'd be open to helping with TeleMed assistance but since I've got one foot in the grave from age, have an elderly parent isolated in a care facility, and I qualify for early WallyWorld entrance tomorrow morning (alarm set for 6a), I would probably need to defer on inpatient care.  I got to thinking and realized that I haven't been an inpatient PA since the early 90's!  I don't even know that I could find an elevator or know how to get the doors to open at this point.

That being said, we're good enough to provide care with limited supervision in an emergency but not at other times?

Edited by GetMeOuttaThisMess

Trump just Tweeted that he is considering lifting the guidelines about social distancing and going to work because it is hurting the economy and as he screamed in all caps that the cure shouldn't hurt more than the disease.

Meanwhile the Surgeon General is handing out a grim prognosis and encouraging staying at home and Fauci has his head in his hands in disbelief.

Crap on a Cracker - we are in a messed up situation if MEDICAL LEADERSHIP if not allowed to be the spokespeople for this giant disaster. 

The worst is yet to come and that is unbelievable.

What do we do with all the vents after this is over?  Can they be converted into GM, Ford, or Tesla vehicles at no extra charge?  In all seriousness, are we not just as well off letting this virus run its' course and let the chips fall where they may, or by social isolation prolong the process since fewer folks will be immune to it and drag it out potentially?  There is no definitive treatment.  As a great leader once said (Mr. Spock), "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few."  Remember that evidence suggests that the VAST majority of folks are asymptomatic or minimally ill.  Wuhan numbers, if they can be believed, seem to suggest a decrease in the virus.  It seems that these isolation decisions are based solely on the number of intensive care beds/floor beds in hospitals.  In the big, BIG scheme of things, I don't think that we're talking about much of a difference.  How many of these folks on vents are successfully weaned and discharged without significant sequelae?  This would make for a great sociology doctorate dissertation.  It takes me back to the old FRAM tv commercial.  "You can pay me now, or you can pay me later."

Hospitalist PA's, or those in the know; what is the average hospitalization for a discharged, post-vent patient?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

So just to update about my patient that was tested for coronavirus on Saturday...the swab wasn't sent on Saturday by the hospital lab like it was supposed to be.  Because of that the state declined to accept the swab for testing so it has now been rerouted AGAIN to an outpatient lab.  We "might" have results by Wednesday.  Meanwhile the patient is now inpatient as of this morning on a ventilator.  I am aware that the results of the swab won't guide her treatment, but this is just a circus.  If we had a negative result (unlikely) at least the hospital staff could save PPE while caring for her...but no. Anyway, supposedly her breathing worsened by Sunday morning, but was told by our hospital's hotline that she was fine to stay at home.  Today she called her PCP who told her to go immediately to ED and she was immediately admitted and placed on ventilator.  I mean this has all been crazy, but this specific incident seems like I am living in a dream.

Oh, and I learned that the people manning my hospital's coronavirus hotline are "low level" administrators (who have ZERO clinical knowledge beyond one who was an MA for many years), MAs, call center staff, and front desk employees.  These individuals are GIVING OUT MEDICAL ADVICE!!!  I put in a call to my chief of staff and the hotline was shut down.  He had zero idea these were the people manning the hotline.  He thought it was RNs.  They are asking RNs and providers to volunteer to man the hotline...this can't be real life...please wake up.

My takeaway is that I will be looking for a new employer when this is all over.  My hospital's administration has failed over and over.  They are offering zero support to staff who are under mandatory quarantine due to exposure caused by bad administrative policy.  These staff are forced to either use their own PTO or go without pay.  We are rural and small, but still, the level of confusion is just remarkable.  But, then again if I judge my employer by this crisis then I guess I need a new state...I mean, country...you know what, just give me a new planet.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2