UTMB 2017-2018 Admissions Cycle

6 hours ago, syoung236 said:

Hey all,

Current student (PA-S1) here. Was just reminiscing about interviews last year and thought I'd stop in and see how y'all were doing.

First off, it is true that UTMB's PA program was put on probation but, it was administrative as opposed to academic in nature. It primarily had to do with the lack of a consistent director over the past few years. The program had had the same director for most of it's existence and they've gone though 2 or 3 in the years since the former retired. Had nothing to do with the quality of the academics (which are very strong) but more of people not being a good fit (and secondarily due to some drama at the Dean's level). Should that have been caught during the interview process? Perhaps, but these kind of things aren't that uncommon. The program is currently in the process of interviewing three highly qualified candidates and has every expectation to be released from that probation in the Spring of 2019. This will in no way affect current students or applicants ability to graduate or sit for the PANCE. Current students aren't worried about it, if that helps at all.

1st round of Interviews should be in the next couple weeks. UTMB is really good about getting you a decision pretty quick. Some were accepted same day and everyone had an answer in less than 2 weeks. Also, be aware that the wait list is VERY mobile here as well. We had 5 or 6 students pulled from pretty high on the list in May. Kinda hectic with only a month to move, but hey, they made it yeah? (In contrast, Baylor only went through 3 total on the wait list last I heard).

If you guys have any other questions, feel free to ask.

Cheers.

Hey thanks for the info. I appreciate taking your time and informing us on the current situation at UTMB, and I am sure everything will work out. I would feel very lucky just to get a interview, so can you tell us more about the interview process? Thank you                 

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 8/21/2017 at 10:59 PM, joshg333 said:

Hey thanks for the info. I appreciate taking your time and informing us on the current situation at UTMB, and I am sure everything will work out. I would feel very lucky just to get a interview, so can you tell us more about the interview process? Thank you                 

Interviews were 20-25 at a time from what I remember. MMI format.

Questions I heard at pretty much every school:

• Why PA?
  • What do you know aout PA's? (history, scope, etc.)
  • Why [this PA program]?
  • What are your top three strengths and weaknesses?
  • How do you deal with stress?
  • Tell me about a time you overcame a difficult situation.
  • What would you do if you if a doctor you were working under was rude or short with a patient? (the point with this one is defer to the physician. They're looking to see if you "understand your place" so to speak. Lost an interview to this one when I said I'd call the doctor out.)

Please take note that these questions may or may not be asked should you get an interview, they just represent ones I heard over and over. I think what gets some people is not prepping general/professional interview questions (strengths, weaknesses etc) focusing too much on PA specific stuff.

10 minutes ago, imrmaknojia said:

@bmh0714 Congrats!!!. If you don't mind me asking what are your stats?

Thank you. and not at all!

I submitted the end of May, got my under review email on 7/25. I graduated in May 2014 with a degree in Genetics, GPA 3.5. Work experience - I have around 400 volunteer hours, 1200 scribe hours, ~900 hours as a home health caregiver, and have been working in a clinic for the past two years. I also did some research! Feel free to message me if you have any specific questions :)

Interviewing 09/11!! I cannot contain my excitement!! 

Submitted May 5th, applied last year and didn't receive an interview invite, BS in Biology, cGPA 3.54, sGPA 3.15, 2500+ scribe hours, 250 PCE hours, 300+ volunteer hours, 2 LOR from an MD and 1 from a PA.

16 minutes ago, ms225 said:

Interviewing 09/11!! I cannot contain my excitement!! 

Submitted May 5th, applied last year and didn't receive an interview invite, BS in Biology, cGPA 3.54, sGPA 3.15, 2500+ scribe hours, 250 PCE hours, 300+ volunteer hours, 2 LOR from an MD and 1 from a PA.

Good Luck! I am just waiting patiently still lol. -_-

10 minutes ago, PABJ4 said:

Congrats to all that received an interview invite!! Any of you mind to share when did you receive the under review email? I'm still anxiously waiting :( 

I received the under review email on 7/25. Good luck!! Waiting is always the worst part. 

9 hours ago, syoung236 said:

Interviews were 20-25 at a time from what I remember. MMI format.

Questions I heard in almost all my interviews:

• Why PA?
  • What do you know aout PA's? (history, scope, etc.)
  • Why [this PA program]?
  • What are your top three strengths and weaknesses?
  • How do you deal with stress?
  • Tell me about a time you overcame a difficult situation.
  • What would you do if you if a doctor you were working under was rude or short with a patient? (the point with this one is defer to the physician. They're looking to see if you "understand your place" so to speak. Lost an interview to this one when I said I'd call the doctor out.)

Please take note that these questions may or may not be asked should you get an interview, they just represent ones I heard over and over. I think what gets some people is not prepping general/professional interview questions (strengths, weaknesses etc) focusing too much on PA specific stuff.

Wait UTMB asked about what would you do if a doctor you were working under was rude or short with a patient? So the correct answer is just not saying anything to the doctor??

On 8/22/2017 at 5:21 PM, tx329 said:

Wait UTMB asked about what would you do if a doctor you were working under was rude or short with a patient? So the correct answer is just not saying anything to the doctor??

Yeah, I remember getting that question a few times across my interviews (not just at UTMB). I think they're looking to see if you understand your role as an extension of the physician and secondarily for not souring preceptor relationships. Like it or not, you're ultimately subordinate to the MD and bringing correction can lead you into some tricky waters to have to navigate, especially as a student.

It goes without saying that I'd likely address it later in my career with an attending I was familiar with, but for the moment it's more about being tactful.

1 minute ago, imrmaknojia said:

Do they send out rejection emails?

Not having an answer is just the worst

I didn't get a rejection email until November last year. Waiting does suck though. It might help to call and ask about your application status if you're really anxious. I hope you hear from them soon.

Just now, Tiquwa said:

Same, and I was verified late May so hoping it's just staggered for the next round.

It looks like those that got interview offers got the under review email around July 25th. So maybe we will get invites for the next round of interviews :) Hoping for the both of us!! Does anybody know how many interviews they typically do? I'm wondering if they will do another one in September

Archived