UTMB 2017-2018 Admissions Cycle

Just now, futuretxpa said:

It looks like those that got interview offers got the under review email around July 25th. So maybe we will get invites for the next round of interviews :) Hoping for the both of us!! Does anybody know how many interviews they typically do? I'm wondering if they will do another one in September

In previous cycles, some people were rejected early while others had to wait until later in the year. If you haven't gotten rejected yet then take that as a sign as you are in the running. Patience everyone. If needed drink beer to calm your anxiety. That's what I do. 

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, lilchalk37 said:

In previous cycles, some people were rejected early while others had to wait until later in the year. If you haven't gotten rejected yet then take that as a sign as you are in the running. Patience everyone. If needed drink beer to calm your anxiety. That's what I do. 

You're right, it's just so hard!! But those who got the email on the 25th and did not get an invite... don't be discouraged! We never know what order and what exactly these schools are doing with our apps. Also, does anyone happen to know the interview dates for the cycle? I think they gave the dates out at open house.

On 8/22/2017 at 8:01 AM, syoung236 said:

Interviews were 20-25 at a time from what I remember. MMI format.

Questions I heard in almost all my interviews:

• Why PA?
  • What do you know aout PA's? (history, scope, etc.)
  • Why [this PA program]?
  • What are your top three strengths and weaknesses?
  • How do you deal with stress?
  • Tell me about a time you overcame a difficult situation.
  • What would you do if you if a doctor you were working under was rude or short with a patient? (the point with this one is defer to the physician. They're looking to see if you "understand your place" so to speak. Lost an interview to this one when I said I'd call the doctor out.)

Please take note that these questions may or may not be asked should you get an interview, they just represent ones I heard over and over. I think what gets some people is not prepping general/professional interview questions (strengths, weaknesses etc) focusing too much on PA specific stuff.

Thank you for telling us what to expect for the interview. I also received an invitation of interview on Sept. 11! :) 

If you don't mind I have a few more questions.. Was there a writing sample? Did you talk to only two faculty members? It looks like we will have 3.5 hours doing rotating interviews, which seem like a long time. I was wondering how UTMB breaks this time into different sessions exactly if you are able to recall from a year ago.. lol 

And how did you prepare for MMI format? Would you suggest wearing all black suit or having some colors is okay? I'd prefer colors and I think I look better in light gray or with some colors. 

Sorry for so many questions! I hope you all stay safe and dry during this weekend. 

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, aspiring__PA said:

Any word on whether or not the sept 11 interview is canceled due to flooding from the hurricane? 

I read on the website all of their classes resume as normal tomorrow so I would assume it's still scheduled for the 11th! 

Does anyone know if unofficial transcripts are okay to bring for the "student copies" of transcripts? 

55 minutes ago, bmh0714 said:

I read on the website all of their classes resume as normal tomorrow so I would assume it's still scheduled for the 11th! 

Does anyone know if unofficial transcripts are okay to bring for the "student copies" of transcripts? 

I believe so yes. Where are you staying? The hotel I booked just emailed me saying they have to cancel my reservation due to flooding and hurricane damage.

On ‎9‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 10:49 AM, futuretxpa said:

So I did call UTMB regarding MMI format and the lady on the phone said it is not MMI, it's traditional. 

I went to the info session earlier this Summer and the presenter/faculty member would not answer questions on the format - but hinted it was more like a surprise, gotcha type scenario - BUT DEFINITELY NOT traditional

5 minutes ago, futuretxpa said:

Really? That's so strange lol

I would just go with what the woman on the phone told you about it being traditional. Every UTMB student I've spoken to said it was traditional format. I don't expect they would change it now! Or at least I hope they wouldn't.

Either way, people tend to say you can't really prepare for MMI so even if you prep for traditional interviews and it's MMI you haven't really lost anything!

Archived