Need Some Help on Building An Application for PA School!

Hello, I am new to this forum and am looking for some guidance/help on how I should go about building my application for PA school before deadlines in order to potentially attend in the Fall of 2024 if accepted. 

I am currently an undergrad getting my bachelors Biology, and am projected to graduate in December 2023. My current GPA is a 3.8, and I have 3 prerequisites for PA school to still complete after graduation which are Biochemistry, Anatomy and Medical Terminology (I can easily complete this over the summer/winter break). I have very brief shadowing experience with a cardiology PA, who I shadowed with for about 20 hours (I want to do more shadowing hours in other specialties).

My biggest dilemma here is that I have no PCE. I've been a full-time student my entire academic career, as well as being heavily relied upon by my family. I struggle to find the time management to keep my grades up as well as hold down a full/part-time job, but I desperately want to get PCE in order to strengthen my application. 

I am also aware I need to take the GRE, which I planned on taking late this spring/early this summer. I also have a research opportunity on parthenogenesis in invasive snake species that I was told would look good on my application, but I am not sure. Any volunteering I have could be considered as being a coach for my hometown's High School volleyball team over the summer, but that's not anything medical related. 

Is there any help someone can give me about how I should go about completing my application so I can successfully apply for the Fall of 2024? Or any advice on how to strengthen it? 

Any and all advice is appreciated, please be kind. ❤️ Thank you very much! 

You are definitely on the right path, but here are 4 things to consider.

1. Do you have a list of schools you want to apply to? As you look to round our undergrad career and head in the application cycle, you'll need a really solid check list of each school's requirements.

2. What is the timeline for applications for your selected schools? To start a program in Fall 2024, you would need to apply THIS year (Spring/Summer 2023) for most schools. This means that your application would be reviewed Summer 2023, you'd interview Fall/Winter 2023 and then start Summer/Fall 2024. Programs start at all different times during the year, not just in the fall. Most programs begin in the summer though.

3. After doing the above, you'll need to review which schools on your list allow classes to be in-progress during the application period. Assuming that you apply Spring 2024 after you graduate, you would still be taking up to 3 classes that may be required for the programs you apply to. You'll need to confirm that your selected programs will either review your application with that many/those specific classes in progress OR you'll need to wait to submit until final grades are in.

4. You will have more options for schools and be a more competitive applicant with PCE. There are some programs that don't require any or require very few (500 hours) but most schools require 1000+ hours. If working during school is not an option, I'd start looking at EMT, CNA, PCT certificate programs now. You could potentially do one this summer and then be ready start working after you graduate. Getting in PA school without any PCE is not a realistic option. MANY people take several gaps years while they work and apply so don't let that discourage you!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

It seems like the only area you might be lacking is in PCE. You are going to struggle to get the hours you need to be competitive for most schools if you want to apply this coming summer. You could spend the $1000+ to get in this cycle at a very select few that favor high GPA over PCE, or you could work for the next year and apply for the 2025 cycle and have your pick of the litter. 

I'm not saying that you cannot get into school ( because there are programs that would take you, no doubt ), but I can tell you ADCOMs will wonder with your low shadowing and low PCE how you have verified that you want to be a PA. Even schools that require at least 500 hours average about 1,200 +. 

I'm not sure if you will care about your financial aid package in terms of how expensive school will be, but if you want a chance at your in-state programs you will need to improve PCE. That is your best chance at highly competitive programs with a low tuition cost. 

My stats:

3.21 cGPA
3.51 sGPA
3,600 PCE
1400 HCE
2000 voluteering over 7 years
1000 leadership over 5 years

7 applications
5 interview invitations
3 acceptances, 2 still waiting for interview days

• Like 1

On 1/1/2023 at 2:32 PM, VarsityMed said:

You are definitely on the right path, but here are 4 things to consider.

1. Do you have a list of schools you want to apply to? As you look to round our undergrad career and head in the application cycle, you'll need a really solid check list of each school's requirements.

2. What is the timeline for applications for your selected schools? To start a program in Fall 2024, you would need to apply THIS year (Spring/Summer 2023) for most schools. This means that your application would be reviewed Summer 2023, you'd interview Fall/Winter 2023 and then start Summer/Fall 2024. Programs start at all different times during the year, not just in the fall. Most programs begin in the summer though.

#2 is my biggest dilemma. I had no idea I needed to apply this year during the Spring/Summer in order to attend in the Fall of 2024. It's just my personal preference to go in the Fall of 2024 (or 2024 in general) but with the advice I'm being given, it seems as though it'd be a better idea to just wait and apply for the 2025 cycle, get some PCE in the mean time, and get my ducks in a row ... I really want to apply this summer/spring, however as @KalebPA said, it'd be ~$1000 this cycle and I don't even have that money honestly. I thought maybe I could squeeze it out, but I haven't even taken the GRE yet let alone a certification to get a job. Thank you so much for your advice and you've given me a lot to think about and reconsider! 

4 hours ago, KalebPA said:

It seems like the only area you might be lacking is in PCE. You are going to struggle to get the hours you need to be competitive for most schools if you want to apply this coming summer. You could spend the $1000+ to get in this cycle at a very select few that favor high GPA over PCE, or you could work for the next year and apply for the 2025 cycle and have your pick of the litter. 

I think I might do what you suggested, I may just work for the next year, and apply for the 2025 cycle. It just sucks because I was really set on trying to go in at 2024, but with how things are being laid out it seems almost impossible. I'm getting denied job after job, I have some lab experience but that doesn't count as PCE so it doesn't even matter. I'm a great student, but without that experience, I'm not competitive. It really sucks to admit to myself that things aren't going as originally intended. (Partially my fault, since I didn't really know about the application deadlines and when the appropriate time would be to apply during the cycles, but I am still learning as I only discovered the profession very late into the game)

Thank you for your comment!

10 hours ago, yanianyae said:

I think I might do what you suggested, I may just work for the next year, and apply for the 2025 cycle. It just sucks because I was really set on trying to go in at 2024, but with how things are being laid out it seems almost impossible. I'm getting denied job after job, I have some lab experience but that doesn't count as PCE so it doesn't even matter. I'm a great student, but without that experience, I'm not competitive. It really sucks to admit to myself that things aren't going as originally intended. (Partially my fault, since I didn't really know about the application deadlines and when the appropriate time would be to apply during the cycles, but I am still learning as I only discovered the profession very late into the game)

Thank you for your comment!

Apply for MA jobs. Some of them do not require you to get a certification. CNA is a quick certification. 

I'm so sure there are resources for other students with high GPAs and low PCE on here or Reddit that could give you some more specific examples. I came from the opposite end of that spectrum!

1 hour ago, KalebPA said:

Apply for MA jobs. Some of them do not require you to get a certification. CNA is a quick certification. 

I'm so sure there are resources for other students with high GPAs and low PCE on here or Reddit that could give you some more specific examples. I came from the opposite end of that spectrum!

I have been, every single day. I went over my resume with my university which said it looked great but I have received countless rejections. The ones that are willing to work with me request that I be off the days I have class all day, which isn't possible. It makes it really difficult with my school schedule, even just finding something for the weekends because I have Orgo classes all Saturday mornings and since I'm not free Saturdays, weekend only positions won't work with me. I will continue searching, calling and emailing places -- I won't give up; but I am feeling discouraged because I've been doing this for months now. 

I was thinking of maybe getting the CNA certification; how long are the programs usually? The thing is, I don't even know if I have the money to pull off a cert. I was thinking about getting a non-PCE job in order to support myself in the mean time, but I really would like to just kill two birds with one stone. 

2 hours ago, yanianyae said:

I was thinking of maybe getting the CNA certification; how long are the programs usually? The thing is, I don't even know if I have the money to pull off a cert. I was thinking about getting a non-PCE job in order to support myself in the mean time, but I really would like to just kill two birds with one stone. 

CNA certifications can be as short as one month but are normally two. You could check with your local hospital, they generally offer CNA certifications for potential employees either free or at a reduced price.

1 hour ago, KalebPA said:

CNA certifications can be as short as one month but are normally two. You could check with your local hospital, they generally offer CNA certifications for potential employees either free or at a reduced price.

What about a Physical Therapy Aide? Would this count as good quality PCE? I just applied to a few positions that I noticed were open in my town. Would it be good enough to at least get my foot in the door until I can land better jobs? 

6 minutes ago, yanianyae said:

What about a Physical Therapy Aide? Would this count as good quality PCE? I just applied to a few positions that I noticed were open in my town. Would it be good enough to at least get my foot in the door until I can land better jobs? 

It wont hurt, some PCE is better than none. I worked as a PT aide for 600 hours. It might offer you better positions as hospital systems prefer internal movement than outside hiring. Once you get your foot in the door it can be easier, or at least that was definitely my experience with it. They called my reference at the PT office. 

1 minute ago, KalebPA said:

It wont hurt, some PCE is better than none. I worked as a PT aide for 600 hours. It might offer you better positions as hospital systems prefer internal movement than outside hiring. Once you get your foot in the door it can be easier, or at least that was definitely my experience with it. They called my reference at the PT office. 

Thanks, that’s reassuring … my mother works in our local hospital as a RN and tells me that the CNA programs at the hospital will do everything you said but it’s full time and I’d need a lot of free time as a student (aka they won’t work with my school schedule). So right now these physical therapy places will hopefully get back to me. I had a friend put in a word for me at a ophthalmology office, would an ophthalmology assistant be good PCE too?

You are definitely on the right path. I had the same questions prior to graduating from undergraduate due to also not having any PCE hours at the time. I decided to take a gap year and I am so glad I did. While you are still finishing up your degree I would advise considering becoming a part-time virtual medical scribe. This allows for you to complete your bachelors degree while also getting healthcare experience. Although it is not direct patient care, you would be working alongside a MD or PA which may just lead to a LOR. During this upcoming summer you could look into medical assisting, dialysis technician, or another PCE job that may offer on the job training. In regards to shadowing, consider virtual shadowing alongside in-person. 

I am not so sure if you would have enough hours to apply early in the cycle (April-June) but possibly the latter. There are programs that open or close applications later in the cycle although most do close September 1st. As mentioned previously, research programs you are interested in applying to and specifically when the application will close for each program. If you have any questions or even just want clarification, reach out to the program directly and attend information sessions. This will show your determination and commitment.

Hope this helps! 

6 minutes ago, AT9926 said:

You are definitely on the right path. I had the same questions prior to graduating from undergraduate due to also not having any PCE hours at the time. I decided to take a gap year and I am so glad I did. While you are still finishing up your degree I would advise considering becoming a part-time virtual medical scribe. This allows for you to complete your bachelors degree while also getting healthcare experience. Although it is not direct patient care, you would be working alongside a MD or PA which may just lead to a LOR. During this upcoming summer you could look into medical assisting, dialysis technician, or another PCE job that may offer on the job training. In regards to shadowing, consider virtual shadowing alongside in-person. 

I am not so sure if you would have enough hours to apply early in the cycle (April-June) but possibly the latter. There are programs that open or close applications later in the cycle although most do close September 1st. As mentioned previously, research programs you are interested in applying to and specifically when the application will close for each program. If you have any questions or even just want clarification, reach out to the program directly and attend information sessions. This will show your determination and commitment.

Hope this helps! 

Thank you so much for your post! I would absolutely be open to medical scribing virtually -- However I would have no idea where to start. Do you have any resources for this or recommendations? I'm completely open to anything. I was also thinking of just trying to shadow virtually as well, but I didn't know if it would actually matter to put on my application in the future but I need to get some more experiencing both job-wise and shadowing wise. Thanks again so much for your reply! 

Consider Aquity Solutions, they are hiring now-https://recruiting.ultipro.com/SPH1000SPH/JobBoard/02436283-3813-424c-8564-250b38d25a1f/OpportunityDetail?opportunityId=0423384e-bd16-4638-9573-4523d8cd6668

I enjoyed my experience and was fortunate to have the provider (MD) I scribed for offer to write a LOR. In regards to virtual shadowing and whether it matters enough to put on your application, it certainly does! I advise including everything you have done in your application, whether it is virtual shadowing, non-medical volunteering, organizations you are apart that may have no correlation to healthcare, everything you have done and am doing should be on your application! It shows you are well-rounded and have a diversity of experiences. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, AT9926 said:

Consider Aquity Solutions, they are hiring now-https://recruiting.ultipro.com/SPH1000SPH/JobBoard/02436283-3813-424c-8564-250b38d25a1f/OpportunityDetail?opportunityId=0423384e-bd16-4638-9573-4523d8cd6668

I enjoyed my experience and was fortunate to have the provider (MD) I scribed for offer to write a LOR. In regards to virtual shadowing and whether it matters enough to put on your application, it certainly does! I advise including everything you have done in your application, whether it is virtual shadowing, non-medical volunteering, organizations you are apart that may have no correlation to healthcare, everything you have done and am doing should be on your application! It shows you are well-rounded and have a diversity of experiences. 

Thank you so much for the link! I will definitely look into it! I see it says that they're hiring full-time, should I apply anyway and request a part-time position if they get back to me? Were they flexible with your schedule, assuming you did it while in undergrad? 

The link was the same when I applied but they are hiring for both. It states it in the description here, the first one- https://recruiting.ultipro.com/SPH1000SPH/JobBoard/02436283-3813-424c-8564-250b38d25a1f/?q=medical+scribe&o=relevance. When you talk with the hiring manager they will request you work 3 days during the week as a part-time employee. I worked MWF, 8-5pm. I am sure they are still flexible to your needs and your schedule. Yes, I did this during undergrad but I will state this was Spring 2021, most of my classes were virtual. Whenever we had down time at the clinic I would do my school work or study. They provide all of your equipment.

Let me know if you have any more questions!

Edited by AT9926
  • Upvote 1

On 1/3/2023 at 4:20 PM, yanianyae said:

Thanks, that’s reassuring … my mother works in our local hospital as a RN and tells me that the CNA programs at the hospital will do everything you said but it’s full time and I’d need a lot of free time as a student (aka they won’t work with my school schedule). So right now these physical therapy places will hopefully get back to me. I had a friend put in a word for me at a ophthalmology office, would an ophthalmology assistant be good PCE too?

I would ask some of the PA schools you would be interesting in applying to how high quality the PCE is as an Optometry tech is

• Like 1