Conspiracy against MCP in the HOD?

I saw, or heard someone mention Physician Associate used to be PA title or was going to be in 1960”s, but physicians didn’t agree. I also thought physicians are still, based on the recent research, still very much against associate. There are businesses “Physician Associate”. Is this move just pretend to change, knowing physicians aren’t going to allow it to happen.  Then they, HOD, AAPA, can throw up their hands and say, “ Oh well, we tried, not our fault, physician assistant is good, we’ve been fine for years, no problem”
Med Techs successfully changed their title to Medical Laboratory Scientists (MLS) because title of Tech didn’t reflect what they did or their education. If MLS can change, what is the reason, other than plain stubbornness, and honestly ignorance, that PAs can’t become Medical Care Practitioner?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, iconic said:

Tbh I’ve only heard of MCP on this forum, which is the title I support. However, when I talk to PAs I know most are in favor of associate or keeping the assistant title.

if you take time to read the report that is exactly what it says and goes on to say that the general population far preferred the MCP....

• Upvote 2

59 minutes ago, Hope2PA said:

I saw, or heard someone mention Physician Associate used to be PA title or was going to be in 1960”s, but physicians didn’t agree. I also thought physicians are still, based on the recent research, still very much against associate. There are businesses “Physician Associate”. Is this move just pretend to change, knowing physicians aren’t going to allow it to happen.  Then they, HOD, AAPA, can throw up their hands and say, “ Oh well, we tried, not our fault, physician assistant is good, we’ve been fine for years, no problem”
Med Techs successfully changed their title to Medical Laboratory Scientists (MLS) because title of Tech didn’t reflect what they did or their education. If MLS can change, what is the reason, other than plain stubbornness, and honestly ignorance, that PAs can’t become Medical Care Practitioner?

That is an issue. I really think we are going to settle on associate and the physicians are going to lose it. They aren't going to like anything that suggests we are anything but their assistant but associate! They are not our associates! Those inferior beings....

My BS from OU says associate. My masters' say assistant.

You can call me Ray... you can call me Jay....you can call me Ray Jay.

It's an old TV commercial children.

Edited by sas5814
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, sas5814 said:

That is an issue. I really think we are going to settle on associate and the physicians are going to lose it. They aren't going to like anything that suggests we are anything but their assistant but associate! They are not our associates! Those inferior beings....

My BS from OU says associate. My masters' say assistant.

You can call me Ray... you can call me Jay....you can call me Ray Jay.

It's an old TV commercial children.

🎶 "if you'll be my bodyguard, I can be your long lost pal... I can call you Betty and Betty when you call me you can call me Al... Doot dooot Doot Doot.." 🎶 

Edited by Joelseff

Ok, all seriousness. Maybe

IF we did choose Associate - LOTS of money saved on letterhead and name tags. PA to.... PA.

I get it - the docs would squeal.

If we chose Medical Practitioner - we get MP - see the fun below.

I we chose Medical Care Practitioner - we get MCP and that has no ring to it.

Millions in stationary, name tags, etc. 

ALL the legal paperwork has to have a FIND/REPLACE festival no matter what we do.

We gotta get rid of Assistant and soon. 

How about a vote of all PAs in the nation and majority rules?

image.thumb.png.38b0a274af9861d75d1ad2a6520ba41e.png

To play devil's advocate, do you think that docs would be more concerned about a name change versus OTP, or better yet, the scaled independent practice model that has/is happening in certain states as of recent?

Assistant has to go; hands down.

A) Keep the acronym and go Associate. Associate has been used before. Some of the folks on here have a Physician Associate degree on their wall.

B) Totally rebrand the profession with a unique, new title

Either way, it sounds like the public needs significant education on what an MCP or PA really is and does.

Edited by TeddyRucpin

48 minutes ago, MSPAC2 said:

I just saw on Facebook that PAFT supports Physician Associate. What a disappointment.

I support MCP 51%

I support P Associate 49%

I SUPPORT A NAME CHANGE 100%   PAFT might indeed see the writing on the wall  - the MCP is likely a non-starter and better to get the dreaded ASSISTANT out of our names then to demand MCP and loose..... and be stuck with ASSISTANT for another decade

• Upvote 1

I came back here to express this point! I cannot believe PAFT endorsed Physician Associate and opposed MCP. What a JOKE! 

It is quite literally moving backwards. PAFY! PAs for Yesterday! 

Those cowards won’t be getting any more of my money. My donations were for advancement not slipping into a comfortable compromise. You can tell the board I said that. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1