2020 Yale Online Application Cycle

18 minutes ago, MegSJ said:

I'd love to hear some different coping strategies. The waiting is so stressful for me. So far my go to coping strategy has been distraction. I've been keeping busy (my yard looks great and my boss is super happy with my productivity numbers). Anyone have another other methods? Also anyone else here from Virginia Beach?

Well for me my days off are the worst! I’m the Charge nurse in a very busy ER and I do not have a second to worry or stress while I’m there but at home it’s a different story. My yard is also the nicest it’s been EVER lol. I have my kiddos which is nice but I feel like I always have the mind space for stressing and worrying. I keep saying to myself that no news isn’t bad news and ultimately it is about being ACCEPTED. Not about being accepted today. Being accepted. I think we have all worked so hard for this for so long that the pressure is painful. Bewildering even. I have already interviewed so now it’s completely out of my control and I feel that on a deep level. And I am in Lubbock TX. Wish I was at Virginia Beach!!! It’s beautiful there!! 

Edited by Krystalized
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2

40 minutes ago, Krystalized said:

Well for me my days off are the worst! I’m the Charge nurse in a very busy ER and I do not have a second to worry or stress while I’m there but at home it’s a different story. My yard is also the nicest it’s been EVER lol. I have my kiddos which is nice but I feel like I always have the mind space for stressing and worrying. I keep saying to myself that no news isn’t bad news and ultimately it is about being ACCEPTED. Not about being accepted today. Being accepted. I think we have all worked so hard for this for so long that the pressure is painful. Bewildering even. I have already interviewed so now it’s completely out of my control and I feel that on a deep level. And I am in Lubbock TX. Wish I was at Virginia Beach!!! It’s beautiful there!! 

I'm not sure what to do with myself now, either! I've spent every free minute with my nose in the books, finishing prereqs, working on supplementals, shadowing, etc. Now Im sitting here like Ricky Bobby wondering what I should do with my hands, lol!.  I do like looking at different medical journals and keeping up with new meds, research, etc., so that helps pass the time. But I know, though, that all this hard work will pay off and I have done everything I absolutely could have this past year to be the best applicant, and Im not looking back wishing I could have/should have done better somewhere. I have been making good use of my time by helping out others with application/CASPA questions on fb posts. I have enjoyed it! I know I was one who definitely had allll the questions at one time so its been nice helping others with the same questions I once had. 

Edited by Jlnisbett
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, MegSJ said:

I'd love to hear some different coping strategies. The waiting is so stressful for me. So far my go to coping strategy has been distraction. I've been keeping busy (my yard looks great and my boss is super happy with my productivity numbers). Anyone have another other methods? Also anyone else here from Virginia Beach?

Agreed, the waiting is definitely the most challenging. Since we all are talking about our yards, I have already planted all the seeds I can for now. Waiting (I guess my life is full of waiting right now ha) for a few more weeks to sow some jalapeno seeds. I lived in Virginia Beach for a few years and had a great time! I miss getting lunch at Taste 🙂

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, emilymuff said:

Agreed, the waiting is definitely the most challenging. Since we all are talking about our yards, I have already planted all the seeds I can for now. Waiting (I guess my life is full of waiting right now ha) for a few more weeks to sow some jalapeno seeds. I lived in Virginia Beach for a few years and had a great time! I miss getting lunch at Taste 🙂

Taste is the BEST! They just permanently closed their original location due to COVID.

I'm all about my yard right now too! Planted some flowers last weekend and mulched 10 bags worth...couldn't walk for a few days but hey, that's getting older for you! Day-to-day, I agree with what @Krystalized said. Worrying is borrowing tomorrow's trouble. I don't like the waiting game; I like my news like my Amazon shipping. BUT I know when I am accepted as a PA (positive thinking!), I won't have allllll this time. I went through my knitting drawer and am furiously working on WIPs. I checked out Coursera for some anatomy brush-up. I play random outdoor games with made-up rules with my kids. Make a pre-PA school bucket list and start checking things off! There's a LOT of joy in grabbing a snow cone and watching the clouds 🙂 

If you're in crisis, and anxiety is staring you down like the monster in your closet - text HOME to 741741. There are a LOT of caring people that can help talk you back to a moment of calm and give resources for coping. 

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, CLBluebonnet said:

I'm all about my yard right now too! Planted some flowers last weekend and mulched 10 bags worth...couldn't walk for a few days but hey, that's getting older for you! Day-to-day, I agree with what @Krystalized said. Worrying is borrowing tomorrow's trouble. I don't like the waiting game; I like my news like my Amazon shipping. BUT I know when I am accepted as a PA (positive thinking!), I won't have allllll this time. I went through my knitting drawer and am furiously working on WIPs. I checked out Coursera for some anatomy brush-up. I play random outdoor games with made-up rules with my kids. Make a pre-PA school bucket list and start checking things off! There's a LOT of joy in grabbing a snow cone and watching the clouds 🙂 

If you're in crisis, and anxiety is staring you down like the monster in your closet - text HOME to 741741. There are a LOT of caring people that can help talk you back to a moment of calm and give resources for coping. 

I love Coursera! I just recently found out about it. I have taken quite a few classes through them. I also mulched last weekend, yard of the month here we come!

• Like 2

Guest mands

Hi Everyone! 

Just spent a bit reading through your chats! I want to gauge what you think about my situation though: 

I applied for both Yale traditional and online. My application pushed after the priority deadline (killed me). It drove me INSANE for over a month, I had the whole application done but I was waiting on my research PI to get my LOR in (she's been busy with publishing a study we did, so it's understandable). It finally pushed through TODAY. My application has not been verified yet. At this point, I see that soo many of you got interviews. Would you guys think it's too late in the game for me to get an interview? 

Also, you guys are a really wholesome group talking about your normal daily lives, and whatnot! If this is my future cohort i'd be so lucky! 

It is definitely NOT too late in the game for an interview! There has only been one round of interviews sent out and Im sure there will be several more throughout the cycle! Even though you did not meet priority deadline you are still applying early. There are (probably) 60-something seats and none of them have been filled. It will probably just take a little longer to get verified and for them to go through the apps that are now coming in. Stay positive!!

• Upvote 1

Guest mands
56 minutes ago, Jlnisbett said:

It is definitely NOT too late in the game for an interview! There has only been one round of interviews sent out and Im sure there will be several more throughout the cycle! Even though you did not meet priority deadline you are still applying early. There are (probably) 60-something seats and none of them have been filled. It will probably just take a little longer to get verified and for them to go through the apps that are now coming in. Stay positive!!

I don't know if I might have read this in another thread and confused it with this one, but you know your admission decision like 2-3 weeks after the interview, right? 

1 hour ago, mands said:

Hi Everyone! 

Just spent a bit reading through your chats! I want to gauge what you think about my situation though: 

I applied for both Yale traditional and online. My application pushed after the priority deadline (killed me). It drove me INSANE for over a month, I had the whole application done but I was waiting on my research PI to get my LOR in (she's been busy with publishing a study we did, so it's understandable). It finally pushed through TODAY. My application has not been verified yet. At this point, I see that soo many of you got interviews. Would you guys think it's too late in the game for me to get an interview? 

Also, you guys are a really wholesome group talking about your normal daily lives, and whatnot! If this is my future cohort i'd be so lucky! 

Welcome to the waiting cycle! Lol there’s only been one round of interviews so far! Most of us who applied before the priority deadline have not gotten an email to be interviewed. So don’t worry about timing, there’s still a lot of time left in the cycle! 🙂 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mands said:

Hi Everyone! 

Hi 👋 and welcome!!! I also think that you are in prefect order to apply and still receive an interview. The application submission deadline isn’t until Sept 1st. So people who apply August 31st will still have the application reviewed lol. I think the main motivator to get in as early as you can is because there are more seats available. If there are 100 apps and only one seat left it’s going to be a lot tougher to get that seat! That being said you are still pretty early to the party. The priority deadline barely passed! Where are you from? 
 Good luck to you moving forward! 

Edited by Krystalized
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, mands said:

Hi Everyone! 

Mands, it is not too late to apply.  The last application date is September 1 this year, and the program will hold interview slots open for that date.  I know because I applied at the last application date last year (late August), got an interview and was accepted.  Don't give up hope.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

Just a heads up to everyone, I had to go back and contact CASPA because they incorrectly assigned year groups where they didn't belong, thus my year GPAs were way off (e.g. added too many classes to junior year, when they should have been fresh & soph). Double & triple check your apps! It had to ger reverified, which I'm sure sets me back. Good luck all!

• Like 1

Guest mands
51 minutes ago, Krystalized said:

Hi 👋 and welcome!!! I also think that you are in prefect order to apply and still receive an interview. The application submission deadline isn’t until Sept 1st. So people who apply August 31st will still have the application reviewed lol. I think the main motivator to get in as early as you can is because there are more seats available. If there are 100 apps and only one seat left it’s going to be a lot tougher to get that seat! That being said you are still pretty early to the party. The priority deadline barely passed! Where are you from? 
 Good luck to you moving forward! 

Thank you!! and thank you to everyone for the feed back ! I have this impatience in me because this is my second round applying to PA school. I'm still on waitlist for a school from the last cycle, so i'm in a weird position.  

I'm actually pretty nomadic for the most part 🙂 I grew up and did all my schooling in California, moved to New York to do a post-bacc/MPH, and now i'm in Illinois to live with family until I get into PA school. I do plan on moving to Connecticut if I get in, despite the fact that it's online. I don't really want to live in Illinois long term, and there's not another part of the U.S. that I could really have a reason to live in! Is anyone else doing this or am I just the only person defeating the purpose of the "don't have to reroot yourself" part of the program (hahah).

Welcome @mands ! Congrats on making the waitlist for PA school; applying is rough and any forward progress is progress. I agree with what SO many others have said on here. You're not too late! For me, I'm in Oklahoma for family reasons. Online works great for that situation, but also for how I think and want to study. I'm excited for the CEED; how great is it that we can start being in a clinic that early? 

I've accidentally been to IL, driving back from KY with my then 3-year-old I guess I put Springfield, IL instead of Springfield, MO in the GPS. I was distracted because he was fussing in the car and I remember thinking "OH SNAP!" when I saw the sign "Welcome to IN" Anyway, I wasn't in IL very long, but it's still a funny story 🙂

That's the long version of saying "hi!"

Guest mands
15 minutes ago, CLBluebonnet said:

Welcome @mands ! Congrats on making the waitlist for PA school; applying is rough and any forward progress is progress. I agree with what SO many others have said on here. You're not too late! For me, I'm in Oklahoma for family reasons. Online works great for that situation, but also for how I think and want to study. I'm excited for the CEED; how great is it that we can start being in a clinic that early? 

I've accidentally been to IL, driving back from KY with my then 3-year-old I guess I put Springfield, IL instead of Springfield, MO in the GPS. I was distracted because he was fussing in the car and I remember thinking "OH SNAP!" when I saw the sign "Welcome to IN" Anyway, I wasn't in IL very long, but it's still a funny story 🙂

Hi! How funny! Much of the midwest does look the same, so it would have been near impossible to gauge if you were going in the right direction 🤣 

59 minutes ago, mands said:

Thank you!! and thank you to everyone for the feed back ! I have this impatience in me because this is my second round applying to PA school. I'm still on waitlist for a school from the last cycle, so i'm in a weird position.  

I'm actually pretty nomadic for the most part 🙂 I grew up and did all my schooling in California, moved to New York to do a post-bacc/MPH, and now i'm in Illinois to live with family until I get into PA school. I do plan on moving to Connecticut if I get in, despite the fact that it's online. I don't really want to live in Illinois long term, and there's not another part of the U.S. that I could really have a reason to live in! Is anyone else doing this or am I just the only person defeating the purpose of the "don't have to reroot yourself" part of the program (hahah).

I can’t move right now unfortunately but if I did it would be to the New England area. It is beautiful there. I travel to Boston every year for my vacation. It’s my favorite place in the world. CT is gorgeous. New haven is a beautiful 2.5 hour drive from Boston and if you go down through providence there is a good amount of time driving by the coast. Amazing scenery! I think it’s awesome that you would move there! Makes it nice too because you would have access to the campus if you needed some resources or study time. Cool indeed!  
what an amazing accomplishment to already be on a waitlist! Congrats! 

47 minutes ago, CLBluebonnet said:

That is HILARIOUS!!!!!!!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, mands said:

Hi Everyone! 

Oh my goodness you are still so early! I know a girl who applied in August interviewed in October and was accepted. Congrats on the being on a waitlist! 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ScullyAMA said:

Just a heads up to everyone, I had to go back and contact CASPA because they incorrectly assigned year groups where they didn't belong, thus my year GPAs were way off (e.g. added too many classes to junior year, when they should have been fresh & soph). Double & triple check your apps! It had to ger reverified, which I'm sure sets me back. Good luck all!

How did you find out about this?