University of Tampa 2019-2020

Most of us are all qualified to get into PA school. We all have the grades and the experience. Sometimes it’s the personal statement that could get you the interview, and the interview is what gets you the acceptance. I’m happy for those who got an interview. I hope the rest of us will have better luck at other schools.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Guest PAhopeful85
7 hours ago, dombank said:

That's very thought provoking. I am in the same boat as you. And I think that could potentially be the case. This would be their inaugural cohort so they could be trying to play safe. I just knew I was getting an interview here with my exceeding expectations.

Inaugural cohort was last year. This would be cohort 2

16 hours ago, DOCRAH said:

Just a thought but do you think that b/c this is a newer school and they are on provisional accreditation that they are only interviewing people with perfect if not near perfect stats even though it says 3.0 last 60 hrs and 3.0 for the pre-reqs? I had 4 out of the 8 program preferences when you needed only 2, had around a 3.4 in both last 60 hrs & the pre-reqs, I know I had great letters of recommendation, and my patient care experience fell in the moderate range with 10k + hrs, and I applied super early in May??? Head scratcher to me that's all. Doesn't mean I won't excel in the program if I don't have a 3.9-4.0 in everything and have all 8 preferences, etc.

I was told by one of the directors that the candidates are chosen off of a point system. For example there are a total of 30 points available and each category has a range to earn points. For example those with a 4.0 last 60 gpa get 5 points where someone with a 3.4 last 60 might get 2. For direct patient care those with high level experience get 5 and someone with moderate may get 3. The applicants with the highest point totals get the interviews. So there are a lot of factors, but obviously those who met more preference factors and had a high 60 credits gpa got invites. Hope that helps.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, johncfl said:

I was told by one of the directors that the candidates are chosen off of a point system. For example there are a total of 30 points available and each category has a range to earn points. For example those with a 4.0 last 60 gpa get 5 points where someone with a 3.4 last 60 might get 2. For direct patient care those with high level experience get 5 and someone with moderate may get 3. The applicants with the highest point totals get the interviews. So there are a lot of factors, but obviously those who met more preference factors and had a high 60 credits gpa got invites. Hope that helps.

Ahh I see. So basically kind of what I was saying was true then. Perfect to near perfect stats & high level patient care would more than likely earn you an interview than middle of the road to good stats and moderate experience. Guess I just wish they would have posted that on their webpage under the admission tab so as a prospective applicant one would know how they decide who gets interviewed and one wouldn't be blindsided by that new information that you've shared. Regardless johncfl, congrats, & I hope you knock your interview out the park and are admitted. From previous posts I've seen by you, you've taken the necessary steps to gain admission and separate yourself (Meeting with directors, visiting the campus multiple times, etc.) & I commend you for that; plus its in the state you reside in so I know getting in there would be amazingly convenient for you as far as travel too. Wishing you all the best.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, Chiller876 said:

When you guys submitted for the interview slot, did you receive any confirmation email? I am worried I incorrectly typed my email in the survey link.

I didn’t get a confirmation email. It says that Christina will call us after submitting so I’m sure you could double check with her then just to make sure it’s right! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DOCRAH said:

Ahh I see. So basically kind of what I was saying was true then. Perfect to near perfect stats & high level patient care would more than likely earn you an interview than middle of the road to good stats and moderate experience. Guess I just wish they would have posted that on their webpage under the admission tab so as a prospective applicant one would know how they decide who gets interviewed and one wouldn't be blindsided by that new information that you've shared. Regardless johncfl, congrats, & I hope you knock your interview out the park and are admitted. From previous posts I've seen by you, you've taken the necessary steps to gain admission and separate yourself (Meeting with directors, visiting the campus multiple times, etc.) & I commend you for that; plus its in the state you reside in so I know getting in there would be amazingly convenient for you as far as travel too. Wishing you all the best.

From my understanding a lot of PA schools pick interviewees off of a point based system. Taking into consideration everything from GPA, shadowing, experiences, LOR, personal statement, etc. Thats why comparing stats isn’t a great thing to do because I’m sure there are people who have great GPAs with a weaker PS while someone else who may have a average GPA has a PS that scores high. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, DOCRAH said:

Thanks! Don't get discouraged, I'm sure that a program will see your potential and you'll be accepted!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, DOCRAH said:

This is not true at all. The stats for the inaugural class (which is the one currently attending classes) are not "near perfect" and you really don't know everything that they are looking for. 

14 hours ago, DOCRAH said:

The fact that people with higher GPA's and better experience have a better shot at getting an interview should kind of be obvious. Better applicants having better chances shouldn't "blindside" anyone. But no, they aren't just inviting people with "near perfect stats". I got an interview with a 3.4 GPA and less than 1,000 hours of PCE at the time of application. The high-quality of my PCE, and my personal statement are probably what made the difference for me. 

Edited by Benolda

8 hours ago, Benolda said:

The fact that people with higher GPA's and better experience have a better shot at getting an interview should kind of be obvious. Better applicants having better chances shouldn't "blindside" anyone. But no, they aren't just inviting people with "near perfect stats". I got an interview with a 3.4 GPA and less than 1,000 hours of PCE at the time of application. The high-quality of my PCE, and my personal statement are probably what made the difference for me. 

Whoa....no need for the attacks and "quotes"...I fully understand what you're saying, I really do and you're right; but all I'm saying is that there are plenty of people who don't have the top level stats for a myriad of reasons. That doesn't mean that they wont make good if not great PA's, physicians, dentists, optometrists, etc. As you pointed out, you received an interview so people without "near perfect stats" have a shot and that's great.  I'm sure everyone on all these admissions committees at programs across various disciplines weren't the best students, but they improved their situations and made it in the end because someone or some program took a chance on them. A person could have the bare minimum stats, I mean 3.0 exactly in their pre-reqs, last 60 hrs., science/overall gpa's, and minimal PCE, but if given an opportunity they could be the best student in the program because they have the mentality that yes there may be people here that are smarter than me or get concepts better than I do, but no one will ever out work me. Hard work beats talent every time. This could lead to that individual being at the top of their class and becoming an amazing provider and change the healthcare world as we know it.

There are times that people might mess up in college because of family issues, illnesses, etc., but their educational futures and opportunities to attain greater levels of knowledge and advanced degrees through higher education shouldn't be handicapped because of past mistakes and because of the "eye test" they didn't meet a certain score or achieve a certain number on a test their application is tossed to the side...and you can't tell me that this doesn't happen. I get it that there are people out there that do things the right way on the first try, but there are others who were dealt the cards of life that were different and maybe there hand wasn't so good. "Normally" you graduate college in 4 years at 21-22, then grad school, then career, house, marriage, and 2.5 kids. What if you're that person or people who were dealt that bad hand, and now it comes into play and instead of going down the straight and narrow road with sunshine & blue skies, you have to take the path less traveled with bumps, cloudy skies and rain because of certain circumstances that have befallen you & you graduate college at 29 or 30 instead and grad school is the next option but you keep knocking on the door and unfortunately no one will answer or either they do answer through the sliding door viewer like on the movies (ask you some questions=interview) and still don't let you in b/c you didn't have ideal stats or there where just candidates that were better than you (have had that told to me before also from a program director as the reason why I wasn't selected). 

Personally, a couple of the things mentioned above pertain to me but not all. I've been applying for many cycles now and reading & receiving Dear so & so after carefully reviewing your application we regret to inform you that you have not been selected or I even had a program tell me following an interview that I'm a "strong applicant and the program to which I'm admitted will have an excellent representative." Huh??? Declination email after email is hard to process it really is, especially when you've been improving yourself each cycle based on recommendations of programs that didn't accept you. And to be clear, I'm not saying that you haven't received any declination emails or haven't dealt with tough times yourself. It's just to me because I'm very optimistic, there isn't any situation above changing and turning around and I feel the same about this one for myself or anyone else. I've always felt that life is about second chances and redemption, especially if you've given your all to rectify past mistakes and have had a healthy & positive trend in grades and have done other requisite things to strengthen your application over years of time and you still don't achieve your desired goal, it's frustrating is all I'm saying and I'm sure this applies to many prospective students applying to programs across all disciplines. It's hard to bounce back at times, but I will keep going and persevering & I won't give up until I achieve my goal of becoming a PA-C.

As I digress from the aforementioned comments, I would like to take this opportunity though to congratulate you on your interview and I wish you much success on it. I'm very hopeful that the success from that propels you to matriculate into that particular program and that you go on to become an amazing Physician Assistant!!   

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

18 hours ago, jmarsman01 said:

Hey everyone, I didn't get an invite but I am still a senior in college. I am waiting to hear from a couple more schools, but does anyone have recommendations on good ways to spend a gap year? 

Experience and volunteer work! That can speak volumes on your application and is something you can keep improving on within your application while you’re waiting for that acceptance. Many schools like to see hands-on experience but from what I’ve heard from schools, volunteer work can be just as important to show you’re invested in the field. 

On 10/18/2019 at 5:25 PM, BecomingPAs said:

I can tell you that I received an interview and I am not considered a competitive applicant. I have about 4 of the “preferences”, my last 60 is high but my overall GPA is low and my prereq was average. I have about 4000 hours of PCE when I submitted my application which fell under the moderate range as well. Hopefully there will be a second round sent out and you will be offered a interview because you have a lot of PCE!!

Congrats on your interview! When did you submit your app? Just wondering if that's what my issue is