UNT 2019-2020 application cycle

On 8/13/2019 at 10:38 PM, ancientMedicine said:

Obviously I don't know for sure b/c I'm on the same forum as you but, as I understand it, and for what it's worth: 

Influencing factors would include questions like these:

1. why was it not higher?
  2. was there an upward trend in your later classes, particularly your last year?
  3. does your school have a history of hard grading?
  4. How are your test scores? crushing the GRE--or better, the MCAT--can help

Did you discuss your GPA in your essay? I got a C in O-Chem I, though it was while I was working full-time in a senior position at a nonprofit and full-time between two different schools. (I wish I had addressed that more directly in my essay, but I was worried about drawing attention to it.)

I struggle with debilitating depression so i talked about that. I did not directly talk about it but it was implied thats why my grades were so low. I don't believe it will be enough though.  I went to Texas Tech, I don't know if they're known for that tbh. 

5 minutes ago, HopefulPA2019 said:

Ironically all my prerequisite courses were a b or higher. That is why im so shocked that Caspa calculated my science gpa so low. Overall, my gpa is 3.3 which is still not so hot. I guess it is because of my electives from my biology major where i scored some Cs. I talk about it in my essay what happened but i dont know if that will even matter. UNT is my only shot because it does not have a minimum for the science. I had to withdraw my other applications which is very discouraging.

Spend a semester at a community college doing an EMT program. You'll come out certified, pick up like 18 science hours, and boost your GPA. Plus you can accumulate PCE / HCE while you wait. 

• Like 1

On 8/15/2019 at 11:40 AM, Hmhguy95 said:

Anyone know when unt plans on sending out invites again? I mean I know my odds aren’t great of getting an invite since my app was under review on 6/5, but I’m still trying to remain somewhat hopeful.

I got an interview invitation for Oct 19 today. Hopefully you'll get one soon! 

• Upvote 1

On 8/13/2019 at 1:11 PM, HopefulPA2019 said:

Im kind of embarrassed to ask this but does anyone think I could get an interview with a 2.9 science gpa? I know theres no minimum but im still nervous.

Look at schools that have a replacement GPA- they look at either the last 40 or 60 credit hours. My GPA was 3.2, sGPA 3.08 but my replacement GPA was 3.8

After I graduated in 2016 I went to EMS school, became a EMT-B, then went to work at a private ambulance company and at several ERs. My CASPA GPA wasn't great (didn't do well freshman year and paying for it now) so I continued to take classes every semester and just recently took biochem. I was able to raise my science GPA and my overall GPA but STILL was pretty low. I've recently been accepted to a out of state program. I was in your shoes not that long ago so it's not impossible. I would recommend if you haven't retaken those C's in your science prerequisites then you should just because they obviously want to make sure you can handle graduate level science courses. I applied to CASPA twice and if I hadn't been accepted this would had been my third time applying. 

Invited for interview October 19th! 

Email received at 1327 hrs.

Cried at 1328. 

Replied by 1330.

Application submitted last Saturday of July, verified that Tuesday.

Stats

GPA: Undergrad 3.76,

Grad (seminary)  3.9,

Post-bacc (all my prereqs) 3.67? 

cumulative undergrad 3.73

overall 3.80

sGPA: 3.48 (I addressed in my application that I've maintained a senior level FT job while in school, and got a C in Ochem)

PCE/HCE: 0

Shadowing: 50?

GRE: V 166 Q 156 (combined 322) W 5.0

10 years work experience: military service + nonprofit 

Edited by ancientMedicine
additional information
  • Upvote 3