UNT 2019-2020 application cycle

8 hours ago, FuturePA2518 said:

Also, I just saw on last years forum that they had a login/ student portal... did any of y'all get that? Am I the only one that doesn't have any information about an online system?? They said last year they found out decisions online, so now I'm scared... 

I haven't gotten any information on a portal. Last email basically said all my scores/fees/docs have been received and my app is under review. Interviews will be extended via email & those that don't receive interviews will know by Dec 31st. So I assume an online portal is either after an interview or not used anymore. Also, I emailed the admissions office after submitting CASPA, GRE, supp fee, etc. and they said no further info was needed from me at the time!

I'm moving home (just graduated college) so I had to quit my job as an MA. I'm currently searching for another job so I don't have any "projected" HOPC hours on my CASPA application, or what I plan on doing. Do y'all think that'll hurt my chances; like would a program assume I'm not doing anything before matriculation? Or would it be more along the lines of them reviewing my initial app, inviting me to an interview (fingers crossed) and then finding out what my plans are? Obviously I will update CASPA when I secure a job but I'm considering emailing programs reassuring I'll definitely have one... Just don't want that to hurt my chances right now. Pls lmk y'all's thoughts!

10 hours ago, KendallC said:

I haven't gotten any information on a portal. Last email basically said all my scores/fees/docs have been received and my app is under review. Interviews will be extended via email & those that don't receive interviews will know by Dec 31st. So I assume an online portal is either after an interview or not used anymore. Also, I emailed the admissions office after submitting CASPA, GRE, supp fee, etc. and they said no further info was needed from me at the time!

Thank you for your help! Good luck this cycle! 🙂

For those of us late in the cycle, while I have no results yet, here's the timeline as it worked out for me:

Submitted - 7/27

Verified (CASPA) - 7/30

Supplemental Application Email: 7/31 (paid immediately)

”under review” email: 8/1 (I assume this goes in batches overnight.)

I'll update as I get more so we can know if anyone is stalled somewhere they shouldn't be.

Edited by ancientMedicine

1 hour ago, ancientMedicine said:

For those of us late in the cycle, while I have no results yet, here's the timeline as it worked out for me:

Submitted - 7/27

Verified (CASPA) - 7/30

Supplemental Application Email: 7/31

I'll update as I get more so we can know if anyone is stalled somewhere they shouldn't be.

Thanks for that! I'm in the same boat.

Submitted: 7/25

Caspa verified: 7/26

Under review email from UNT: 7/30

1 hour ago, tarynnoelle said:

Thanks for that! I'm in the same boat.

Submitted: 7/25

Caspa verified: 7/26

Under review email from UNT: 7/30

Submitted: 7/30

Caspa verified:7/31

Supplemental fee email:7/31, effective 8/1

Hopefully I get an October interview..

5 hours ago, DirkGOAT41 said:

Just received my interview invitation for October 19! Submitted app 7/2, and got my UNT application confirmation email 7/11. Does anyone know if theres a difference between the morning or afternoon sessions? Or if there is a benefit to choosing one to the other? Good luck guys!

Congrats! I don't believe there's a difference, it's just whatever time you prefer. I chose the afternoon session simply because I will be flying in from out of state so I wanted to give myself plenty of time to ensure I wouldn't be late. It shouldn't matter which session as long as the time works for you.

I got an email saying my in progress course, Microbiology, is a 4 hour requirement and that I put in that I'd have 3 hours, even though I'm taking the 4 hour course.

So now they know that I'm an idiot. 🤦🏽‍♂️

(In my defense, I have 240+ credits b/c my bachelors and masters degrees are not in science, and I started over to get all my prereqs.) 

I mean... when has 1 number ever killed a patient, am I right?

Edited by ancientMedicine

I submitted my applications on 7/31 and was verified on 8/1. However, I haven't received an email regarding the supplemental fee. Do you think I should reach out them asking about the status of my application or wait a few more days? I'm just nervous because I know it is getting later in the cycle and want to make sure they have everything they need. 

2 hours ago, delling26 said:

I submitted my applications on 7/31 and was verified on 8/1. However, I haven't received an email regarding the supplemental fee. Do you think I should reach out them asking about the status of my application or wait a few more days? I'm just nervous because I know it is getting later in the cycle and want to make sure they have everything they need. 

If you don’t hear anything by 3:30 on Monday, give them a call. That’ll give them time to do something, but won’t be annoying. They’ve only had one business morning since it was verified.

On 8/3/2019 at 6:46 PM, ancientMedicine said:

If you don’t hear anything by 3:30 on Monday, give them a call. That’ll give them time to do something, but won’t be annoying. They’ve only had one business morning since it was verified.

You were right. Got the supplemental email from them Monday around noon. Thanks for the advice!

Submitted: 7/31

CASPA verified: 8/2

Supplemental email: 8/5

Under review email: 8/6

7 hours ago, HopefulPA2019 said:

Im kind of embarrassed to ask this but does anyone think I could get an interview with a 2.9 science gpa? I know theres no minimum but im still nervous.

It's difficult to know. While there isn't a minimum science GPA for application, having a low science GPA could indicate low grades on multiple prerequisite (science) courses. On their website, they state that it's rare for someone with a "C" in any prerequisite course to gain admission. How is your overall GPA?

Also according to their website: "Applicants must achieve a minimum overall 3.0 GPA at the time of application as calculated by CASPA. Maintaining the minimum required GPA is not necessarily equivalent to achieving a competitive GPA. What is considered competitive varies according to the quality of the applicant pool during each application cycle"

9 hours ago, HopefulPA2019 said:

Im kind of embarrassed to ask this but does anyone think I could get an interview with a 2.9 science gpa? I know theres no minimum but im still nervous.

Obviously I don't know for sure b/c I'm on the same forum as you but, as I understand it, and for what it's worth: 

Influencing factors would include questions like these:

1. why was it not higher?
  2. was there an upward trend in your later classes, particularly your last year?
  3. does your school have a history of hard grading?
  4. How are your test scores? crushing the GRE--or better, the MCAT--can help

Did you discuss your GPA in your essay? I got a C in O-Chem I, though it was while I was working full-time in a senior position at a nonprofit and full-time between two different schools. (I wish I had addressed that more directly in my essay, but I was worried about drawing attention to it.)

Do yall think it is possible to get an interview with no shadowing hours? I work for a family practice MD, so it's not like I'm unfamiliar with what a PA does, but I know almost everyone who applies has shadowing. I worked almost full time during school and I have over 1000 PCE hours, research, volunteering, tutoring, my GPA is 3.81. Shadowing is my one flaw I feel like. Do yall think I still have a shot at an interview?

4 minutes ago, tarynnoelle said:

Do yall think it is possible to get an interview with no shadowing hours? I work for a family practice MD, so it's not like I'm unfamiliar with what a PA does, but I know almost everyone who applies has shadowing. I worked almost full time during school and I have over 1000 PCE hours, research, volunteering, tutoring, my GPA is 3.81. Shadowing is my one flaw I feel like. Do yall think I still have a shot at an interview?

I think you'll be just fine! Shadowing is about knowing what a PA does and how they fit into the healthcare system. PCE hours are far more valuable! 

• Like 1

On 8/13/2019 at 8:22 PM, jaygo said:

It's difficult to know. While there isn't a minimum science GPA for application, having a low science GPA could indicate low grades on multiple prerequisite (science) courses. On their website, they state that it's rare for someone with a "C" in any prerequisite course to gain admission. How is your overall GPA?

Also according to their website: "Applicants must achieve a minimum overall 3.0 GPA at the time of application as calculated by CASPA. Maintaining the minimum required GPA is not necessarily equivalent to achieving a competitive GPA. What is considered competitive varies according to the quality of the applicant pool during each application cycle"

Ironically all my prerequisite courses were a b or higher. That is why im so shocked that Caspa calculated my science gpa so low. Overall, my gpa is 3.3 which is still not so hot. I guess it is because of my electives from my biology major where i scored some Cs. I talk about it in my essay what happened but i dont know if that will even matter. UNT is my only shot because it does not have a minimum for the science. I had to withdraw my other applications which is very discouraging.