MICHIGAN: University of Michigan- Flint

8 hours ago, DanaJur said:

5 weeks 🙃

5 Weeks??!!! Wooow!! So basically your talking another month maybe at the earliest which will about take us to the deadline that they told us in the Q & A session during the virtual interviews🤦‍♂️🥺This is a long drawn out process that's for sure. Very frustrating seeing as how we interviewed in late July. Hopefully as others have posted it will be sooner than that. Fingers crossed🤞😃

Edited by DOCRAH
  • Like 1

^No rejections. Because everyone will be put on a waitlist until the class is full if they were not accepted in the beginning (my guess). 

How is everyone doing? Quite honestly I’m so frustrated and stressed. I applied to maaaaaany programs back in June (more than I’d like to admit and quite broke). Almost all the programs I have applied to started interviews and I have yet to hear back from any program. This is my second cycle and I’m not sure if I want to apply again and play the waiting game. Just feel like I’m wasting time. The rejections I have gotten state "there are better candidates" I know I'm an average student lol, but this process is just sooo competitive. I’m not ready to give up yet so hoping UofM flint gets their accreditation and start in January. I’m still holding onto this dream! Anyone contact them recently? On another note anyone looking into absn programs or the NP route or any other career that I might just have to settle for? Sorry if this is too much for this forum I just don’t really have anyone else I can open up to or someone who understands this process. Feel free to message me. y’all seem like a great supportive bunch 💕

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, FuturePA313 said:

^No rejections. Because everyone will be put on a waitlist until the class is full if they were not accepted in the beginning (my guess). 

How is everyone doing? Quite honestly I’m so frustrated and stressed. I applied to maaaaaany programs back in June (more than I’d like to admit and quite broke). Almost all the programs I have applied to started interviews and I have yet to hear back from any program. This is my second cycle and I’m not sure if I want to apply again and play the waiting game. Just feel like I’m wasting time. The rejections I have gotten state "there are better candidates" I know I'm an average student lol, but this process is just sooo competitive. I’m not ready to give up yet so hoping UofM flint gets their accreditation and start in January. I’m still holding onto this dream! Anyone contact them recently? On another note anyone looking into absn programs or the NP route or any other career that I might just have to settle for? Sorry if this is too much for this forum I just don’t really have anyone else I can open up to or someone who understands this process. Feel free to message me. y’all seem like a great supportive bunch 💕

Hey, you're doing great! 

This is one of the hardest processes I have gone through too! It's only my first time applying though. It can really make you feel so defeated so quickly. This is an incredibly competitive field and there are so many requirements it feels like my head is spinning! Just focus on how to better yourself as an applicant and keep moving! There are a lot of instagram pages that are done by pre-pas that are encouraging and helpful. I even created one myself to help get the feelings I was having related to applying out! My handle is @myprepajourney.loruss if you want to join. Also prepadoodles is awesome! 

In terms of other careers, NP is almost the exact same as a PA and a lot of NPs and PAs practice side by side, so that may be a good option for sure! There are lots of ways to keep treating patients and helping the medical community in general! I really hope you don't give up! I am sure U of M gained their accreditation, I don't see a reason for them to not. U of M Flint houses the RN program (which is one of the best in the state) and the PT programs as well! 

Keep your heads up buddies, we are going to make it! 

• Like 4

How is everyone doing? Quite honestly I’m so frustrated and stressed. I applied to maaaaaany programs back in June (more than I’d like to admit and quite broke). Almost all the programs I have applied to started interviews and I have yet to hear back from any program. This is my second cycle and I’m not sure if I want to apply again and play the waiting game. Just feel like I’m wasting time. The rejections I have gotten state "there are better candidates" I know I'm an average student lol, but this process is just sooo competitive. I’m not ready to give up yet so hoping UofM flint gets their accreditation and start in January. I’m still holding onto this dream! Anyone contact them recently? On another note anyone looking into absn programs or the NP route or any other career that I might just have to settle for? Sorry if this is too much for this forum I just don’t really have anyone else I can open up to or someone who understands this process. Feel free to message me. y’all seem like a great supportive bunch [emoji177]

Trust the process! I am a 3rd time applicant this cycle. What’s meant to be will be and have faith in the process! I was a very average applicant and I actually just received my first acceptance elsewhere. I am still holding out for UM-Flint because I want to stay close to home but again, what is meant to be will be. You can’t do this, you’ve already do come this far! Message me if you have any questions![emoji3531]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 4

25 minutes ago, FuturePA313 said:

I know this is an incredibly difficult and drawn out process, but if this is something you really want, you will end up in a program somewhere! Don't give up hope. This is also my second time applying so I understand how frustrating the waiting and uncertainty can be and how much goes into this process but it's all going to be worth it once we're accepted into PA school.

I've interviewed with a few other schools this cycle so far and I'm on the alternate list for two other programs right now so it's definitely tough but we're all going to make it, and we all will have our time. Just keep fighting! 

You've got this. 😄

• Like 3

1 hour ago, FuturePA313 said:

This is also my 2nd cycle applying and I understand your frustrations. Hang in there, we'll be hearing back soon. Don't give up on your dream!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FuturePA313 said:

Hey there!

Like everyone else is saying, don’t give up! This entire process is competitive in itself but the fact that you got an interview means that you have the potential! This is my third time applying as well soo I completely understand how you feel but stay strong! I was almost at a point where I felt like I wanted to give up because I felt like I wasn’t good enough or that I didn’t have the capabilities. Thankfully, fam, friends, and most especially my current jobs kindled that passion and reminded me why I started on this journey. It can be tough but as long as your passionate about this career, you’ll make it and I’m sure they’ll see that in you too! Message me or anyone else willing if you have questions or just need to rant. I figure we all understand how you feel :))

• Like 4

5 hours ago, FuturePA313 said:

I completely understand your feelings! This is both my second and final year applying to PA schools. The stress of waiting to hear back got to be too much this past spring that my mental health was suffering. Not to mention having everyone asking for updates constantly about my application statuses. I decided that I don't want to keep putting my life on hold until I get accepted to a PA program but rather wanted to close this chapter and move on. I applied to a counseling program (way less competitive) that starts in January 2021. This way, not everything is riding on the PA school acceptance. Having an alternative plan has helped me be way less anxious and given me a guarantee of starting school in January. I recommend looking into some other programs that you can apply to as alternative plans. I looked at counseling, psychology, dietician, nutrition and occupational therapy programs. The most important thing is that you are happy and enjoy life. If this application process is detracting from that, then don't feel obligated to keep trying. This forum is very supportive but it is also irrationally centers around the idea that being a PA is the only option and that you have to keep trying until you make it. 

• Like 5

39 minutes ago, fedoron2 said:

I completely understand your feelings! This is both my second and final year applying to PA schools. The stress of waiting to hear back got to be too much this past spring that my mental health was suffering. Not to mention having everyone asking for updates constantly about my application statuses. I decided that I don't want to keep putting my life on hold until I get accepted to a PA program but rather wanted to close this chapter and move on. I applied to a counseling program (way less competitive) that starts in January 2021. This way, not everything is riding on the PA school acceptance. Having an alternative plan has helped me be way less anxious and given me a guarantee of starting school in January. I recommend looking into some other programs that you can apply to as alternative plans. I looked at counseling, psychology, dietician, nutrition and occupational therapy programs. The most important thing is that you are happy and enjoy life. If this application process is detracting from that, then don't feel obligated to keep trying. This forum is very supportive but it is also irrationally centers around the idea that being a PA is the only option and that you have to keep trying until you make it. 

Dealing with people constantly asking has been one thing I did not expect to get to me so much! Its so so much and something I didn't expect to have such strong emotions for!

• Like 4

On 10/1/2020 at 1:42 PM, FuturePA313 said:

Hiii! As others have stated, we're right there with you! We all might feel like we're average, but honestly, and I know this is super cheesy, each one of us has something about us that piqued the interest of this incredible program. I feel like we all encompass the crowd that truly has something special about us as future PAs that will hopefully make up an awesome inaugural class! And you're no exception. I'll message you! 🙂 

We got this, friends!!

Edited by LalalauraB
Edit: omitted information to maintain semi-anonymity
  • Like 4

41 minutes ago, fedoron2 said:

Congrats on having a plan! Seriously, I feel that this is so huge and to have a guaranteed job (we need counselors especially for mental health patients) plus you’ll have a great life/work balance, but hey you may end up being a PA after all once we hear back from Flint 😉 sometimes I hate myself for loving medicine and patients so much that I can’t stay away. I’ve tried pursuing so many other fields including nursing, CSI, public health, interior design, genetic counseling, pathology assistant, anesthesia assistant, audiologist, and speech pathologist. But I’m not satisfied with any of it and most don’t fit my personality. However, I loooooooved the PAs I’ve shadowed and definitely see myself doing the same. It’s just so competitive and my interview skill aren’t great. For three years I literally get asked everyday so “when do you start”? And “you should just do nursing” (at work). So much peer pressure I’ve just been so reserved and not like myself. I’m grateful but not happy. Hoping we all find our true passions and live life to the fullest!

Hey everyone who is questioning whether or not this is for them or considering throwing in the proverbial towel so to speak...Believe me I've definitely been there as the 2019-20 CASPA cycle was my 7TH cycle applying consecutively. Doubt creeps in my mind at times just like everyone else..I mean we are all human and we've worked so hard studying & getting the grades needed, getting PCE/HCE hours, doing research, asking people for LOR's, shadowing, going over flash cards, doing test prep for the GRE, etc...all of our hard work won't be in vain.  I've had interviews over the 7 cycles but none turned into a program matriculation....YET!! I've had some academic hiccups in my past along with family health issues & some of my own, but I still didn't let that stop me despite rejection after rejection. I even spoke with the admissions director from one program that I interviewed with and she just flat out told me that there were just candidates that were better than me & maybe I should consider another health care field and stop wasting money on applications (6th cycle @the time) & since I had a pharmacy background that I should consider being a pharmacist, they help people too. I responded to her saying if I wanted to be a pharmacist, I would've applied to rx school and not PA school. I hoping this time that this long wait from this program will result in not only my patience being rewarded with a yes but all of us. All it takes is ONE program to say yes and give you that shot you've dreamed of when so many others said NO and passed you up. Everyone keep their hopes up and no matter what keep on pushing and moving forward no matter the setbacks... I know I will...I have to keep going because my future patients need me, my community needs me, the world needs us all to help provide them with great, competent, compassionate medical care. We all will be just fine & WE WILL MAKE IT & HAVE PA-C AFTER OUR NAMES IN THE NEAR FUTURE😎

• Like 6

41 minutes ago, madi.loruss said:

DID ANYONE ELSE JUST HAVE A HEART ATTACK!?!

At least they are reminding us that we are not forgotten! Hope they hear something soon so we can!

LITERALLY I FELT MY HEART DROP FOR TWO SECONDS 😭 

And yes for sure! Glad they’re keeping us updated...but man that was bad for my heart lol

Edited by angkthomas
  • Like 5