MICHIGAN: University of Michigan- Flint

If I recall correctly, way in the beginning, UMich Flint did a similar thing where they moved their matriculation date from June 2020 to now January 2021, and it didn't have much to do with their accreditation, they just wanted to genuinely prepare their program well enough to submit their app to the ARC-PA! But I could be mistaken!

I'm sorry to hear about state for anyone who applied:( Cheers to new hopes, though, and to hearing back from Flint any day now! 😊

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mad4PA said:

January 6, 2021 pending approval, of course! I’ve been following this forum and am anxiously awaiting the news 🤞 

2 hours ago, mad4PA said:

January 6, 2021 pending approval, of course! I’ve been following this forum and am anxiously awaiting the news 🤞 

Hey guys! A lot of schools are delaying the start of winter semester due to COVID. So they are cancelling spring breaks & starting later. The other school I was accepted too was supposed to start Jan 12 & will now be Jan 19. One of my friends in GVSU DPT program just had the same thing happen as well as one of my friends in Westerns OT program! Just a heads up, there is a good chance that will happen! (Maybe not the worst case since everyone will know so last minute lol)

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, DOCRAH said:

Ok is anyone else starting to get more than a little worried or is it just me??

Haha 12 days until Nov 3rd. We'll know one way or another very shortly. It's very possible the ARC-PA just have not sent the results out yet. But we should be hearing back very very soon. Stay positive 🙂

• Like 3

Hiiiiiii it’s Thursday.

Just in case anyone’s been blowing up with COVID hospitalizations lately like we have here in GR, first off, this is gonna be a long post. 

But this forum has been great for me and I hope I can give something back with my thoughts (and frankly, my steam), so here we go:

1: UM- Flint is waiting on ARC-PA, I’m sure, just as painfully as we are. I interviewed with the director and I have absolutely no doubt in my mind that this program will pull through. She has a great background in the PA community and I think she was just as excited after our interview as I was, which makes me so, so happy.

2. COVID pts have surpassed any previous number of COVID hospitalizations at my hospital. It’s nuts because it was chill last Thursday, I had Friday-Sunday off, and BAM. ICU doubled, our “progressive care/Covid” floor is FULL, and now we’re spilling onto our med/surg floor which, quite frankly, I do not think is suitable for covid precautions. Literally doubled, if not more, in 5 days. 

I work inpatient phlebotomy, 3rd shift, and we’re as short staffed as ever. I was the only phleb on tonight for every. single. floor. 

Thats: ER, ICU, Progressive care, Acute elderly, med surg, neuro, ortho, joint replacement, digestive disease and bariatric for Stats, timed draws, and ICU/ortho/rehab AM labs. It’s nuts. I cried on my way home. 

Every department is going through this and I’m starting to see an impact on patient care. 

If there are 12 midnight lab draws over the entire hospital, and I am the only person staffed, how am I supposed to get all of those labs in between 2345 and 0015? No way. Impossible. The hiring freeze in the beginning of covid hurt so many hospitals because so many people quit. Sorry. Rambling. But I’m just dreaming for the day I get my PA school acceptance because I’m getting worn out. When you can’t even fake it to family anymore, it’s bad. 

3.) But here’s the thing. 

We didn’t quit. We’re striving for our goals (thought I’d add that autocorrect changed “striving” to “starving”, which in many cases, we are). We will get there. We are going to change modern medicine. We’re still at work, against this pandemic that we still really don’t know much about. We are ready. 

Because we love medicine. And we want to save lives.

We must persevere.

I am so proud of all of you and I hope your anxiety is relieved shortly as we receive news from UM in the next 12 days...

sending sad 2020 socially distant hugs to all of you. 🙃

Edited by DanaJur
  • Like 8

1 hour ago, DanaJur said:

Hiiiiiii it’s Thursday...

...sending sad 2020 socially distant hugs to all of you. 🙃

Sending a warm, hopefully fulfilling socially-distant hug to you, Dana!!

Thank you so much for sharing, and your positive twist helps a ton. You're definitely not alone! I used to work at Spectrum for a few years as a resource NT, if that's where you're talking about, then that breaks my heart to hear. 😞 Either way, wherever it is, it's a bit of a disaster...

My urgent care here in Detroit metro turned into a COVID testing center (in addition to urgent care) when the pandemic hit Michigan. I've only been working there for a little over a year, and since March, our most "senior" staff have all left, and new-hires can barely be trained because we are so. darn. busy. On a typical day, we have 4-6 staff members (2 providers, 2 MAs, 1 receptionist), and our patient volumes have tripled to 175-200+ daily! Like what! On top of that, I'm taking a heavy load of classes right now so I can't help train new hires, so patients get angry and impatient on days we are only able to be staffed with new staff. As we try to brainstorm ways to deal with testing in -10 degree weather, I hope everyone is staying safe and is hanging on to social distancing and being responsible a bit longer, especially as we are approaching the holiday season.

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to butt in selfishly with my own turmoils, hah! My intention is to hopefully let you know you're not alone. And it's wild that we're dealing with the world, longing to get an email that'll offer the biggest glimmer of light 2020 will have! We're pretty darn tough, huh?

Edit: Um, wait, THAT many blood draws?! Girl you're on fire! Rest up to the maximum and don't feel like you have to be productive on your days off, you deserve it! 

Edited by LalalauraB
  • Like 4

^^ thank you for sharing. I love reading your guys' post because its all so relatable. This week has been sooo hard. And the tears dont stop. Received a rejection EVERY SINGLE DAY. Flint is one of the last programs I still have a chance at. I'm holding on to a thin piece of hope, and really hoping it'll all be worth it. We are so RESILIENT and just have a few more days before we KNOW. 💕

• Like 4

1 hour ago, FuturePA313 said:

^^ thank you for sharing. I love reading your guys' post because its all so relatable. This week has been sooo hard. And the tears dont stop. Received a rejection EVERY SINGLE DAY. Flint is one of the last programs I still have a chance at. I'm holding on to a thin piece of hope, and really hoping it'll all be worth it. We are so RESILIENT and just have a few more days before we KNOW. 💕

I just received a rejection today too. Just hoping that I receive this acceptance any day now. We got this, all of this stress and anxiety will all be worth it so soon!!! 

• Like 4

11 hours ago, LalalauraB said:

Sending a warm, hopefully fulfilling socially-distant hug to you, Dana!!

Thank you so much for sharing, and your positive twist helps a ton. You're definitely not alone! I used to work at Spectrum for a few years as a resource NT, if that's where you're talking about, then that breaks my heart to hear. 😞 Either way, wherever it is, it's a bit of a disaster...

My urgent care here in Detroit metro turned into a COVID testing center (in addition to urgent care) when the pandemic hit Michigan. I've only been working there for a little over a year, and since March, our most "senior" staff have all left, and new-hires can barely be trained because we are so. darn. busy. On a typical day, we have 4-6 staff members (2 providers, 2 MAs, 1 receptionist), and our patient volumes have tripled to 175-200+ daily! Like what! On top of that, I'm taking a heavy load of classes right now so I can't help train new hires, so patients get angry and impatient on days we are only able to be staffed with new staff. As we try to brainstorm ways to deal with testing in -10 degree weather, I hope everyone is staying safe and is hanging on to social distancing and being responsible a bit longer, especially as we are approaching the holiday season.

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to butt in selfishly with my own turmoils, hah! My intention is to hopefully let you know you're not alone. And it's wild that we're dealing with the world, longing to get an email that'll offer the biggest glimmer of light 2020 will have! We're pretty darn tough, huh?

Edit: Um, wait, THAT many blood draws?! Girl you're on fire! Rest up to the maximum and don't feel like you have to be productive on your days off, you deserve it! 

Not selfish at all, the turmoil is real!

and lol yeah it’s spectrum it’s bad. Same thing happened here, all the senior staff left/got so fed up but I’m just DYING for this acceptance. If I don’t get in, I might move to be an ICU NT at blodgett so we’ll see. Thanks for reaching out😊

Hang in there, we got this!

also fuck covid. 

• Like 3