MICHIGAN: University of Michigan- Flint

Hello! I saw a thread hadn't been created for U of M. They're accepting applications starting next year and will have their first class starting in 2020. Anyone else interested in this program or have any insight? I was mostly wondering if anyone has experiences with Flint and the safety aspect. Thanks!

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

I'm from Michigan and wish UofM flint was starting sooner, but I already am going to PA school! I don't know too much about their campus but I have a friend who went through the PT program at UofM Flint and had a great experience. Although she lived in a suburb area outside of Flint, the campus area is very safe. 

Going to school there would be worth it just for the connections. Flint is seriously a good place for healthcare providers to work in and a much needed place for them too.  
Just look how high PAs get paid there and the cost of living is low too https://www.physicianassistantedu.org/michigan/michigan-salary/
Regardless of pay, they're a city in need and I'm so happy they're opening up a school that could potentially fill their provider shortage! Definitely look into their program. 

• 4 months later...
On 8/31/2018 at 12:32 PM, KindnessMatters said:

I'm from Michigan and wish UofM flint was starting sooner, but I already am going to PA school! I don't know too much about their campus but I have a friend who went through the PT program at UofM Flint and had a great experience. Although she lived in a suburb area outside of Flint, the campus area is very safe. 

Going to school there would be worth it just for the connections. Flint is seriously a good place for healthcare providers to work in and a much needed place for them too.  
 Just look how high PAs get paid there and the cost of living is low too https://www.physicianassistantedu.org/michigan/michigan-salary/
Regardless of pay, they're a city in need and I'm so happy they're opening up a school that could potentially fill their provider shortage! Definitely look into their program. 

I didn't see this until now but thanks so much for the information!

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone!

I came across this event that will take place on 9/28/19 in Detroit, and I wanted to share the link. U of M-Flint will be one of the ones in attendance (among a few other local ones)!

It could be a GREAT way to get your questions answered, or find out how you can improve your application for future cycles (if it should come to that), and network with other pre-PAs, PA-S, and PA-Cs in the area. 

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/thepac-takes-detroit-tickets-70091765357

Best of luck to everyone planning on applying to this program:)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi all, I am wondering about the physiology prereqs as it says 2 required and one must be a 300 level. I will be finishing A&P by December but am wondering what other classes others are using that can be used for the second course? I also see it says all prereqs must be done before submitting and none can be graduate courses. That would be the only reason I wouldn't be able to apply this year. 

45 minutes ago, Glendah628 said:

Hi all, I am wondering about the physiology prereqs as it says 2 required and one must be a 300 level. I will be finishing A&P by December but am wondering what other classes others are using that can be used for the second course? I also see it says all prereqs must be done before submitting and none can be graduate courses. That would be the only reason I wouldn't be able to apply this year. 

Hello! I don’t know which college/university you attend but I went to Wayne State and they offer a 3000 level Human Physiology course for undergrads. Also, I know OCC and Madonna University offers Pathophysiology for undergrad students as well. Hope this helps and best of luck! 

On 11/10/2019 at 11:02 PM, angkthomas said:

Hello! I don’t know which college/university you attend but I went to Wayne State and they offer a 3000 level Human Physiology course for undergrads. Also, I know OCC and Madonna University offers Pathophysiology for undergrad students as well. Hope this helps and best of luck! 

Thank you! I am currently at a comm college finishing prereqs, I got my undergrad degree in 2015. I will keep checking to see what schools around me offer more courses,. 

On 11/10/2019 at 11:16 PM, Glendah628 said:

I emailed them today to verify that I would meet the two physiology class requirement. I attended WSU for my undergrad and received a BS in biological sciences. I took human physiology which is BIO 3200 and comparative physiology which is a writing intensive with a lab/ BIO 4120. I'll let you know once they get back to me.

18 hours ago, AA90a said:

I emailed them today to verify that I would meet the two physiology class requirement. I attended WSU for my undergrad and received a BS in biological sciences. I took human physiology which is BIO 3200 and comparative physiology which is a writing intensive with a lab/ BIO 4120. I'll let you know once they get back to me.

Thanks! I did email their admissions and was told they would not reccomend I apply this year until I have that additional physiology course completed. So it's off my list for this cycle. 

• 3 weeks later...

AA90a did they ever get back to you? I emailed them on the 25th of November and have made two phone calls leaving messages. I have yet to get a response to either communication. 

• 1 month later...
On 11/10/2019 at 10:16 PM, Glendah628 said:

I attended their webinar yesterday and during the Q&A session someone asked if genetics would qualify for the 2nd physiology requirement. Dr. G. said yes but it must be higher than a 300 level. So you may want to inquiry about that if this apply to you. I was told that they do plan on sending out the link to the webinar recording from 1/14/2020. Here is the link to the 12/17/19 webinar, which I also attended-- different Q&A questions than yesterday. But worth listening to if you have time.

https://primetime.bluejeans.com/a2m/events/playback/11d3ca39-7a51-4a7d-9246-4ffbaa964163

I submitted my application today. Good luck everyone!

Edited by idau85
misspelling
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bwatt25 said:

For the first supplemental essay on CASPA, did you guys write about multiple characteristics and qualities you possess, or did you do one and write a story about it? I am struggling to write this one for some reason!

I looked at the mission and try to incorporate one story of how I would fit. I think if there is one story then it would be best use of the limited character count (blank space included). But if you can't find one story, then maybe a few. See below, or the link above. 

To achieve our mission we will:

• Prepare a diverse PA workforce to serve the patient-centered needs and public health of the local, state and national communities.
  • Educate students to utilize evidenced-based decision-making and problem solving that allows for safe, affordable practice of medicine in a changing health care environment, with an emphasis on self-assessment that promotes continuous improvement. 
  • Educate and encourage students to provide culturally competent and team-based care with a commitment to caring for all individuals.
  • Prepare graduates who are creative leaders who advocate for and are civically engaged in their practice as clinicians, administrators, academicians, and researchers who contribute to the PA profession.
  • Develop and support faculty members to achieve excellence in teaching, service and scholarship. 
  • Support PA Program graduates and faculty in lifelong learning.

1 minute ago, idau85 said:

I looked at the mission and try to incorporate one story of how I would fit. I think if there is one story then it would be best use of the limited character count (blank space included). But if you can't find one story, then maybe a few. See below, or the link above. 

To achieve our mission we will:

• Prepare a diverse PA workforce to serve the patient-centered needs and public health of the local, state and national communities.
  • Educate students to utilize evidenced-based decision-making and problem solving that allows for safe, affordable practice of medicine in a changing health care environment, with an emphasis on self-assessment that promotes continuous improvement. 
  • Educate and encourage students to provide culturally competent and team-based care with a commitment to caring for all individuals.
  • Prepare graduates who are creative leaders who advocate for and are civically engaged in their practice as clinicians, administrators, academicians, and researchers who contribute to the PA profession.
  • Develop and support faculty members to achieve excellence in teaching, service and scholarship. 
  • Support PA Program graduates and faculty in lifelong learning.

I meant for the quality and characteristics question, not the mission one!

"What unique characteristics and qualities do you bring to the UM-Flint PA program and the PA profession? (2000 characters)"

Edited by Bwatt25

22 hours ago, Bwatt25 said:

I meant for the quality and characteristics question, not the mission one!

"What unique characteristics and qualities do you bring to the UM-Flint PA program and the PA profession? (2000 characters)"

Hi, yes I incorporated multiple characteristics and qualities into a short narrative.

Good luck to everyone applying this cycle!

Edited by teasiasmith1130