Are you for or against a name change? (Poll)

Do you support a name change?  

107 members have voted

1. 1. Name change?

• Yes
    • No

I was always kind of partial to Paraphysician. Doesn't have the ambiguity of Medical Practitioner, which is akin to NP. But for simplicity I would make sure if anything was changed, maintaining the PA acronym is important I think.  On changing the name I'm like at a yes:no ratio of 50.9:49.1

In a year or two, when I rule the world, :) there will be three titles: MD, DO, MP.  The latter being a "medical provider" and used by both PA's and NP's in areas of general medicine (family, peds, adult/IM, urgent care, women's health, ED) after 3-5 years of experience and passing a rigorous specialty national examination respective to each specialty.

Physician Assistant does not accurately reflect the advanced training and abilities that PA's have.  Too many patients see "Physician Assistant" as "nurse" or even worse, "medical assistant."  How is a PA "assisting" a physician when they have been taking care of a patient for 2 years  that has 8 different chronic issues when the "SP" has never even laid eyes on them?  The PA title makes sense historically, but not now.  I don't think Physician Associate works well either.  Isn't a physician associate a physician?

In a year or two, when I rule the world, :) there will be three titles: MD, DO, MP.  The latter being a "medical provider" and used by both PA's and NP's in areas of general medicine 

I reject your premise of lumping PA and NP into MP. There's little that could be more damaging to our profession (enter overthehorizion). " Hi I'm MP Smith, not the nurse type". I'm almost laughing out loud how dumb and masochist I think that is. 

I reject your premise of lumping PA and NP into MP. There's little that could be more damaging to our profession (enter overthehorizion). " Hi I'm MP Smith, not the nurse type". I'm almost laughing out loud how dumb and masochist I think that is. 

So many on this forum want to go toe to toe with NPs to show "we're better than you." NPs don't even notice us. The footsteps all of you PAs hear behind you are those of the NPs. They aren't coming to get you. They are coming to run past you to take the next hill; state 24 in their quest for 50 state independence. We are arguing about hours of HCE and swapping war stories about who has the most testosterone and biggest cajones. Look out over the horizen with some insight into the future.  We need a 50 state strategy for independent practice. 

The name Physician ASSISTANT is strangling us right now - we have evolved - the name did not.

I like the idea of keeping PA and changing to Physician Associate.

I can't keep up with the political correct concepts of APP - Advanced Practice Provider --- NPP - NONPhysician Provider --- HATE midlevel - sounds like a haircut.

Associate Physician really doesn't clarify that we aren't Physicians.

Medical Provider is too close to Healthcare Provider which includes everyone. MP to me means Military Police or Mitral Prolapse.

I AM a Primary Care Provider but not all PAs are - so, scratch that. 

A patient of Mexican origin called me her Medica - not La Doctora - so I wonder if that was a compliment or accurate. 

By the time a change happens with all the legislation and changes of letterhead and every piece of legislation in every state - I might be retired. 

A name does not make us what we are but I think it could help.

anything that gets rid of assistant is a good start.

I like physician associate because it maintains the initials PA, but would be ok with other suggestions out there like clinical associate, advanced practice provider, etc

Throughout all my rotations, I have almost exclusively heard PAs/NPs lumped together and called Advanced Practice Providers.  On schedules in the ER and on the call list it simply lists APP and then Joe Smith, PA or whatever.  The badges have them labeled as APP on top and only list their actual credential of PA or NP under their name.  If it's any consolation, on the interviews I've attended for job openings for an "APP" I was told by the medical directors, practice managers, and recruiters that they have a preference for PAs.  Granted this was for ER and surgical specialties and doubt it applies throughout other specialities, OB/GYN and Peds especially. 

I actually really like ParaPhysician which I heard for the first time yesterday, but it may be seen as too radical a change. I agree that the term assistant is not good because it encourages the belief that we are assistants. I would be fine with it just being PA and not standing for anything. Physician associate comes across as a bit of a non sequitur, but would do as long as it would encourage the use of "PA." 

Recent experience is informative here. I am in a GYN-only practice where the CP is on-site approximately 8 hours per week and prefers, at this pont in her career, to see only surgical cases.  That means I see everyone else.  As I have been in this position only one year, the majority of the practice's patients do not yet know me.  I am the first PA in this practice that has had 4-5 NP's previously.

Last week I saw two of the physician's long term patients, both for problem visits (menorrhagia and prolapse).  For each patient, her care included chart review, HPI, physical exam, ordering of testing and imaging, explaining my findings and suspicions, discussion of possible management options, and arranging follow-up appointments. 

When I asked the patients to finally dress and proceed to the front office for scheduling, each looked confused and asked, "But I have to see the doctor now."

No, I, explained - she is actually in another state (as she is every Thursday through Monday).  Again - this is after a very complete HPI, exam, and plan of care has been devised and fully explained to each patient.

I can only imagine the word "assistant" accounts for their confusion.  If I am only assisting,

UpRegulated, as a noun Physician "associate" is an accurate description.

as·so·ci·ate1

verb
synonyms: linkconnectrelateidentifyequatebracket;  More
  1. connect (someone or something) with something else in one's mind:
noun
synonyms: partnercolleaguecoworkerworkmatecomradeally;  More
  1. a partner or colleague in business or at work:
  2. a person with limited or subordinate membership in an organization.
  3. a concept connected with another.

I am supportive of changing our name. I think my top choice would be changing Physician Assistant to Physician Associate.

Word choice is significant.  The words a person chooses to use don’t just express thought; they shape thought.  The word “assistant” carries a very different connotation than the word “associate.” An assistant is a person who helps a higher-ranking member of a professional team perform his or her job, whereas an associate is someone who can perform the job in question in his or her own right.  If the “A” in PA continues to stand for “assistant,” we are continuing to shape the minds of those outside of our profession (legislators, hospital/practice administrators, etc.) to think that we are less competent than we are.

If it where easy to make the change, I would vote for Medical Practitioner.  It would provide equal footing with NP's and it accurately describes the profession.  However, I think Physician Associate is a more logistically easy change that gets away from the "assistant" ball and chain while still allowing the PA title. 

Archived