What would you do? Pay is great but bored to tears

I took a job after being told it would involve procedures in the lab in addition to seeing patients in the EP clinic. I have worked in the CCU in the past and loved the intensity of the unit and enjoyed performing procedures. I am now being paid more money than I ever thought I'd make as a PA but I have not been allowed to perform procedures as originally discussed and only working outpatient clinic. I recently asked about placing central lines in the lab and initially was told it sounded like a great idea but this has not happened. Would you continue to work in a position that does not stimulate you but pays more than double what you ever thought you'd make? I'm an older clinician and will probably only work 5 more years. 

35 minutes ago, bike mike said:

Would you continue to work in a position that does not stimulate you but pays more than double what you ever thought you'd make?

Yes, in fact, I'm doing it now. Situation similar to you. Was supposed to be inpatient but credentialing took forever so worked in the clinic. I sometimes just sit there for 8 hours. Sometimes I see a couple patients. Sometimes I have a full schedule. Sometimes I work on CME, recertification, articles, etc. 

Unfulfilling and irritating not to work the job I agreed to but the money and easy schedule are nice. Probably won't do this forever as I do want some kind of fulfillment... 

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, Reality Check 2 said:

Thousands of unpaid OT hours here and stress beyond ok in my world. 

I'm sorry to hear this. Please take care of yourself; life's too short not to. I hope you are finding a way to regain time and relaxation lost, and sooner rather than later. You've taken great care of many people. Now it's your turn to take care of yourself. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 2/7/2024 at 3:33 PM, bike mike said:

Would you continue to work in a position that does not stimulate you but pays more than double what you ever thought you'd make? I'm an older clinician and will probably only work 5 more years. 

Can I send you my CV? I'll take the job when you retire in 5 years. 

• Haha 2

On 2/11/2024 at 7:54 AM, CAAdmission said:

Can I send you my CV? I'll take the job when you retire in 5 years. 

Ok, message received everyone. I appreciate the responses. I guess I just loved the "adrenaline medicine" of the CCU. I do get to mentor a new PA in this position so that is rewarding as well. Thanks again for the replies. 

Life is too short to be where you don't want to be. Sometimes we do stuff because we need the money and that's fine, but it's fair to ask how much is enough. If you only have 5 years to work, spending time planning on a better (for you) job now or in 5 years sounds like a plan. And I'm glad to see you've found mentoring rewarding. It's something we should consider towards the end of our careers.

Good luck!

• Upvote 1

On 2/19/2024 at 12:11 PM, ShakaHoo said:

What is great pay for a PA nowadays anyway?

I am at $70/hr and feel grossly undercompensated.  

My lowest paid job is $75/hr as 1099, and I get to sleep at home next to my hot nurse wife while I'm getting paid that. 

And I'm in a VLCOL area. 

However, the growing number of NPs is starting to drive area pay down.  I'm seeing some job ads for $45/hour. 

Edited by Boatswain2PA
  • Like 1

On 2/19/2024 at 10:11 AM, ShakaHoo said:

What is great pay for a PA nowadays anyway?

I am at $70/hr and feel grossly undercompensated.  

depends on specialty, volume, and location. EM in my area pays 85/hr on the low side and 135/hr on the high side. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I'm at a job where we discussed me doing procedures in GI which I've done before at another GI job(Flex Sigs, Hemorrhoid Banding, manometry etc) and a year and half in I haven't done anything more than anoscopies in office. I don't get a bonus for procedures so I'm just enjoying the high pay and alternating 3 and 4 day work weeks. 🤣 I plan vacations without using PTO and I have found that after almost 15 yrs into this career, that I really don't mind NOT doing anything! 😂 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Joelseff said:

I'm at a job where we discussed me doing procedures in GI which I've done before at another GI job(Flex Sigs, Hemorrhoid Banding, manometry etc) and a year and half in I haven't done anything more than anoscopies in office. I don't get a bonus for procedures so I'm just enjoying the high pay and alternating 3 and 4 day work weeks. 🤣 I plan vacations without using PTO and I have found that after almost 15 yrs into this career, that I really don't mind NOT doing anything! 😂 

Nice! I'm with ya! Boring ain't as bad as it sounds... Lol

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Joelseff said:

I'm at a job where we discussed me doing procedures in GI which I've done before at another GI job(Flex Sigs, Hemorrhoid Banding, manometry etc) and a year and half in I haven't done anything more than anoscopies in office. 

18 hours ago, SedRate said:

Nice! I'm with ya! Boring ain't as bad as it sounds... Lol

Given a choice between being horrifically bored and interrogating people's tailpipes all day, I know which one I would pick.

• Haha 2